Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
VAbdul

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Using "High Milage" Oil Filter OK?

Trying to change the oil and change the oil filter, I bought FRAM HM10060 "High Milage" only because the large catalog in the store said it was "best".

But I wouldn't call my car High Mileage (45k), I think it's alright to use right?

This filter has "Time released oil renewal" blablabla on it along with possible additives. Is it safe to use? What oil brand and filter do you use?
Old 12-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Would recommend not using a fram filter alot of bad reviews due to how there made and the materials, cant go wrong with a factory gm filter from the dealership thats what ill be running for life with mobil 1 dexos oil
Old 12-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
ginsberg2@hotmail.com
Account Suspended

Drives: ls3 camaro
fram scares me, however they may be fine now.
ginsberg2@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
fram no wix yes
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
jays455ta

Drives: black on black
Mobil one vs dexso oil lol
most will agree to disagree as far as the 6,000 mi changes I dont believe any oil part or full synthetic should last any longer but GM says it does . I changed my friends 2011 camaro 1 SS oil at 1800 and it was black as hell and so was his 2010 rs ss 6 banger so wheres the protection that they claim and dexso oil is in other GM models and the engines are failing and being replaced . I say 3,000 is safe insurance and if you race it maybe ams oil and gm performance oil filter they are available at the dealer parts counter and only like $ 12.00 bucks .
jays455ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jays455ta View Post
most will agree to disagree as far as the 6,000 mi changes I dont believe any oil part or full synthetic should last any longer but GM says it does . I changed my friends 2011 camaro 1 SS oil at 1800 and it was black as hell and so was his 2010 rs ss 6 banger so wheres the protection that they claim and dexso oil is in other GM models and the engines are failing and being replaced . I say 3,000 is safe insurance and if you race it maybe ams oil and gm performance oil filter they are available at the dealer parts counter and only like $ 12.00 bucks .

^^^^It's Dexos fyi and it depends on how you drive to say when you change the oil. For me I drive a lot of freeway and do autox every few months and will change the oil from 6-8,000 miles.
I use Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter and change when my DIC says 50% which is usually around 8,000 miles. Not that dirty and I'm not burning any. That filter will be fine but I wouldn't buy it again.
Gen5Diy.com.....http://www.gen5diy.com/
Wretched Motorsports..www.wretchedms.com/
Pedders USA
...http://www.peddersusa.com/
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
jays455ta

Drives: black on black
to each his own I guess . good luck bud
jays455ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Better off using a coffee filter over a fram filter.

Felix - Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
No need for the high mileage filter or oil. If you are going to use Fram use the Extended Guard filter. It is a well built filter over the normal OCOD "orange can of death". Other wise you can't go wrong with an AC/Delco, Wix or Purolator PureOne for the lower cost filters.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jays455ta View Post

???? and so was his 2010 rs ss 6 banger ...............didn't know you could get an RS/SS 6 banger? SS's only come with V8's, as in Gee, I could have had a V8...
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Blau camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: #1 CAMARO FAN
I would never install a fram filter on any car, why not stay with the OEM filter, for oil and air as well. By the by 45K is not high milage for a modern engine with synthetic oils.
Blau camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAbdul View Post
Trying to change the oil and change the oil filter, I bought FRAM HM10060 "High Milage" only because the large catalog in the store said it was "best".

But I wouldn't call my car High Mileage (45k), I think it's alright to use right?

This filter has "Time released oil renewal" blablabla on it along with possible additives. Is it safe to use? What oil brand and filter do you use?
It's fine, you can use it.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The only fram I would run is the Ultra. Yes, Fram has a bad rep which isn't arguable and I would be very pressed to run one, but if I had too the Ultra is actually a very good filter. It replaced the XtendedGuard.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
After doing research on oil filters they all had there claims. The Fram Tough Guard filters are not bad it is to each his own. I am assuming the SS has a can filter? I have the V6 and it has the cartridge and I went with K&N Pro series, wanted the HP series but K&N discontinued that for the V6. I was concerned with filter degradation at anything over 5000 miles and a call to K&N customer service they assured me that there should be no problems in it lasting over 10k miles. As for oil since GM requires the Dexos brand on the label which is at least a conventional/synthetic blended oil I opted for Mobil 1 full synthetic since it was the same price at Wallmart as the synthetic blended oil.

Dean.

PS, unfortunately the V6 has a cartridge filter and wished it was larger so it had more surface area for filtering but I do have to say one thing, I love that they finally placed it in a convenient spot and it is so easy to change the oil filter now. I think it took me just over 5 minutes and I think I spent most of that time looking for the correct size socket for the cap. Never spilled a drop pulling the old filter out, made a mess though when I pulled the drain plug and over shot the pan, LOL.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote