Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
When it kicks in put the ebrake up one click... hill assist turns off, once moving put the brake down.
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Idk about your driving skill but I've noticed anybody that is great with a clutch and knows how to drive a stick hate it completely and alot of the people new to the manual transmission love it or don't notice it.
I would rate my manual tranny driving skill at very high, and the hill assist has only got me once. Do I find it necessary, no. Do I find it an issue, no. Now, I do live in coastal GA where things are very flat, so I am sure I do not see it as often as some of you in areas with more hills, but I really do see it as a non-issue.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
berger6696

Drives: 97 Vette (sold), 13 SS 1LE
Mine has never engaged. Is this something that could have been tuned out?
berger6696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
fish907

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Idk about your driving skill but I've noticed anybody that is great with a clutch and knows how to drive a stick hate it completely and alot of the people new to the manual transmission love it or don't notice it.
There's a reason for this, and it's because those who are familiar with manuals seem to have a hard time applying the easiest method of defeating HSA: use it properly.

It's quite easy to tell when HSA has activated. When you notice it has activated take off like you're on flat ground. That's it. Forget everything you know about taking off on a hill, and just pretend the ground is flat. Don't worry, you won't lose any of your elite stick driving skills should you end up in another manual without HSA.

If this doesn't work, then maybe that reset method someone posted above will solve your problems. A normal start is easily enough to disengage the brakes for me.
fish907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish907 View Post
There's a reason for this, and it's because those who are familiar with manuals seem to have a hard time applying the easiest method of defeating HSA: use it properly.

It's quite easy to tell when HSA has activated. When you notice it has activated take off like you're on flat ground. That's it. Forget everything you know about taking off on a hill, and just pretend the ground is flat. Don't worry, you won't lose any of your elite stick driving skills should you end up in another manual without HSA.

If this doesn't work, then maybe that reset method someone posted above will solve your problems. A normal start is easily enough to disengage the brakes for me.
Great point, and using it properly, it is probably easier on the clutch then without it. There is no doubt when it is on in both feel and the notification on the DIC. It also seems that how you come to the stop on the hill has an effect on if it engages or not. It is just so easy to deal with, it seems odd to make a big deal about it.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
Have no problem with my Hill Assist.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
....It also seems that how you come to the stop on the hill has an effect on if it engages or not...
I'm pretty sure it holds the brakes on at whatever pressure you applied them when you came to a stop. Try coming to an easy stop and it should be easier to drive through the HSA.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #22
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
I'm pretty sure it holds the brakes on at whatever pressure you applied them when you came to a stop. Try coming to an easy stop and it should be easier to drive through the HSA.
This may be why I am not noticing it causing me any problems, but there are times I can really feel it, and then I just adjust the take off.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #23
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
I have it and I don't like it. What really annoys me is the 2012 Jeep Wrangler we bought also has this feature, but unlike the Camaro, it is easily turned off using controls on the steering wheel. Would it really have been that much trouble for Chevy to give Camaro owners this same ability to disable hill assist if desired?
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
Milkdudd

Drives: Saturn XR V6
Anyone know if the 2014's settings are less infuriating?
Milkdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinva View Post
I have it and I don't like it. What really annoys me is the 2012 Jeep Wrangler we bought also has this feature, but unlike the Camaro, it is easily turned off using controls on the steering wheel. Would it really have been that much trouble for Chevy to give Camaro owners this same ability to disable hill assist if desired?
I agree. They should have just given us a menu option in the radio to disable it. GM says it's a safety feature. I say it's an UNsafety feature.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #26
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Drives: MANual
I like rolling back on a hill. Shows everyone u have a manual.
Supreme Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #27
Combover

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
I've always wondered about this - unfortunately after 40+ years of driving manuals it's hard to break the habit of how much I depress the brake pedal on a hill.
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote