Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
JuicedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Polishing after waxing?

I have had my Black SS for 3 weeks now and have put two coats of Meguiar's NXT on it (one coat each week after washing). I was thinking that maybe I should have polished the car before waxing, so I am considering using some Meguiar's #5 New Car Glaze or #7 Show Car Glaze and then rewaxing. The car looks good with just two coats of wax, but I wouldn't mind the paint having some more depth.

I am assuming that I will have to strip the wax with a Dawn wash before applying the polish? Do you guys think it would be worth the effort to polish now, or should I just wait until it's time to wax again? Can anyone recommend a better over the counter (i.e. from Walmart, Napa, AutoZone, O'Reilly's etc) polish than the Meguiar's? For those with experience with Meguiar's #5 and #7, which would you recommend? Meguiar's website says that the #5 is good for humid conditions, and this is a must as I live in south Louisiana.
JuicedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Just wait. If your car looks good now, just do a regular weekly wash for a a couple of months. Most of the wax build up will have washed off by then. Then do clay bar, good polish, and 2 coats of wax. Always at least clay bar before waxing.

Oh, I only use Adams Polishes products. But I wouldn't hesitate to use Mequires.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Tecca

Drives: ...
I hate Mequires and Adams, I use 3M Handglaze and Zaino and that is it.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post

You may hate them but they make very good products. I have to admit your the first guy ive heard who hated adams stuff. Megs makes very good consumer and pro line stuff.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Has anyone tried the Eagle One Nano wax? I have used it on my bike and 93 Z 28 and it goes on and comes off easy, always leaves a great shine. The bike is 3 years old and the clear coat and paint look as good as new.
Sword5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
JuicedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Thanks for the input guys. I'm off from work for a couple of week and am going to wash up the car tomorrow. If I get bored tomorrow, I may just apply some polish for sh*ts and giggles.

Sword5, I used Eagle One Nano wax on my last car a few years ago when they most companies were first introducing synthetic waxes. I remember it working fairly well, but not as good as the NXT. I was cleaning out my detailing products the other day and found a half bottle of it. Maybe I'll try it again on the wife's car.
JuicedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Quote:
maybe because your not using them right. They both make great products!

Just wait till later to polish.
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
Washing with Dawn isn't necessary in fact, I wouldn't even ever do it, though I've heard that's a step with Zaino. I love Meguiar's products, I'm a hardcore user.

You can actually kind of layer NXT. Let the first coat "cure" for 30 minutes or so, wipe off, and apply a second coat and you're good. Anymore coats won't really do anything.

Now, if you want incredible shine and reflection, I highly recommend you use #7 Mirror Glaze followed by NXT 2.0. They both fill in the teeny tiny scratches that prevent a flawless shine. I used this combination on a black car that had ignored paint on it and it absolutely brought the paint back to life as if the car had been polished and waxed weekly.

I've also used this on the CGM, and to me the car shines too well even without wax to really see a giant improvement. But, I bet you'll be able to see it on black most definitely.

Also, can someone correct me about the washing with Dawn soap?

There's no reason not to like Meguiar's. Just because it's sold at retail stores, and doesn't cost $170 doesn't mean a thing! Haha, good luck.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
I hate 3M Handglaze and Zaino and that is it.

(Ah, Just bustin' chops...)

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Tecca

Drives: ...
Damn I just got smacked around a bit.

Quote:
maybe because your not using them right. They both make great products!
No I am pretty sure I used them right it really isn't rocket science. The reason I prefer Zaino is the durability. A couple coats of Z2 will last longer than either. Plus I do not have nearly as bad as a dust problem with zaino.

No I do like Adams undercarrige spray it is pretty good.

Everyone has there own opinion, just use whatever as long as you are happ with it.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote