Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Well tonight I decided to finally install my JDP Motorsports stage II separate clutch reservoir kit. It took me a little longer than expected but I was fighting against those darn hose clamps. The factory didn't do me any favors when the installed the clamp on the hose at the master cylinder (next to the firewall).

I will say to anyone else that does this, make sure you put nice thick cotton towels ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE you can see paint in the engine bay. I tried to cover every spot I possibly could and I think I managed to keep the brake fluid off the paint inside the engine bay. But if I would have simply just put one or two small towels under the brake reservoir I would have had a mess to clean up when I removed the brake master cylinder reservoir.

I thought I would post a pic of the finished work and a pic of the new reservoirs with the caps off. Notice how dark the fluid is in the new clutch reservoir compared to the new brake master cylinder reservoir. Yes there is brake fluid in the new brake master cylinder reservoir it's just nice and clear and not really visible in the pic. But the clutch reservoir is already golden brown and that is after putting new clean fluid in the new reservoir to start with. I had to wiggle the new clutch hose around a little to get the air to come out of the line and allow new clutch fluid to flow in. Once I couldn't get any more air out of the hose I then pumped the clutch pedal about 40 times or so. Before pumping the fluid was crystal clear like it is in the brake master reservoir. After pumping it looked like it does in the second picture.

Oh and my car only has 923 miles on it.
Clean install! I appreciate your business and support. Also just FYI its JDP not JDM

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Clean install! I appreciate your business and support. Also just FYI its JDP not JDM

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Fixed it! Sorry. You know I thought about that one night after I made the post but had already shut down my computer. I guess I forgot to go back and correct it. Fixed now though. I guess I got too excited to start typing the "Motorsports" part and hit the "M" twice!!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Nick S

Quote:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
I'm also not sure if you noticed but I decided to put a slight curved bend in the braket to help get the new clutch reservoir further away from the shock tower to make sure the hose doesn't rub. Not sure if you wanted to take this feedback and think about whether or not you wanted to incorporate it into the standard bracket or not.

Also since I found that trimming the excess clutch hose is easier to do once the clutch reservoir is mounted and the new clutch hose is installed on the master cylinder, it might be better to not preassemble the new hose to the new clutch reservoir. Pulling the hose off was kind of difficult and I don't know if the reservoir was like this or not before I pulled the hose off but there is a faint white line that now goes all the way around the base of the nipple connection. Knowing how plastics work I know that it's a sign of stress on the base but I tested the nipple and it didn't seem weak or anything so I'm hoping it will be ok. I found it easier to put the free end of the hose along side the nipple connection on the reservoir and mark it for the amount of excess hose that I wanted to trim off with scissors.

Just a few thoughts I had.

Thanks for the kit though. Looks great in the car too!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
JDP Sales

Quote:
I'm also not sure if you noticed but I decided to put a slight curved bend in the braket to help get the new clutch reservoir further away from the shock tower to make sure the hose doesn't rub. Not sure if you wanted to take this feedback and think about whether or not you wanted to incorporate it into the standard bracket or not.

Also since I found that trimming the excess clutch hose is easier to do once the clutch reservoir is mounted and the new clutch hose is installed on the master cylinder, it might be better to not preassemble the new hose to the new clutch reservoir. Pulling the hose off was kind of difficult and I don't know if the reservoir was like this or not before I pulled the hose off but there is a faint white line that now goes all the way around the base of the nipple connection. Knowing how plastics work I know that it's a sign of stress on the base but I tested the nipple and it didn't seem weak or anything so I'm hoping it will be ok. I found it easier to put the free end of the hose along side the nipple connection on the reservoir and mark it for the amount of excess hose that I wanted to trim off with scissors.

Just a few thoughts I had.

Thanks for the kit though. Looks great in the car too!
Thanks for the feedback! I will forward this on to the guys that assemble the kits and see about some possible changes. I appreciate the input.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 05-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #19
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Hey Nick S, are the instructions from JDP complete and accurate?

When removing the M6 reservoir, is there a risk of getting air into the brakelines or into the ABS system?

I'm guessing you turkey baster out the stuff from the old reservoir before removal and then just plunk on the new one with the separated clutch reservoir?

Thanks.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Nick S

Well I think they (JDP Motorsports) are still finishing up the instructions for the Stage II kit (where you would need to actually remove the reservoir.

I used a syringe to get as much fluid out of the brake reservoir as possible but you will not get it all out. There are lots of baffles inside the reservoir (likely to prevent the master cylinder from getting air in it during cornering, acceleration, braking etc...). So just get as much as you can you that's all you'll get.

Unfortunately that means when you pull the old reservoir off it will be a bit messy. Just put as many towels in the engine bay and over your fenders as possible. Put a small contain under the brake master cylinder to try and catch some of the fluid and I'll say it again put as many towels under it as possible. Anywhere you can see something other than the brake master cylinder...cover it with a towel.

This risk of getting air in your system really not an issue as long as you don't pump the brakes or pump the clutch pedal when you have the reservoir off and the clutch hose off the master cylinder.

There will still be fluid in the top openings of the master brake cylinder so once you put the new reservoir on and fill it up the air will just bubble to the top.

The new clutch reservoir I had to work a little harder at making sure all the air came out. After filling the new reservoir up I had to wiggle the new clutch hose up and down to help get the air bubbles to work their way up to the top (high spots) and then kind of push the middle of the hose in towards the brake master cylinder reservoir. As I did this I would see air bubbles pushing out of the clutch reservoir. I repeated this and added some light tapping on the clutch hose to this process until I could not get any more air bubble out of the hose.

I also had to stop and actually put some more fluid in the new clutch reservoir because it had finally drained down into the new hose. You also might want to give a 10 minute rest in between and the repeat the hose wiggling process. Give the air bubbles some time to work themselves up to the high spots.

Then after I was sure I could not get any more air out of the hose, I went inside the car (without starting it) and pumped the clutch pedal about 40 times. Then when I got out and looked at the level in the reservoir it was still about the same (which is good because then I knew there wasn't any more air that had come out) but it was definitely a darker golden color from mixing with the fluid that was still trapped in the master cylinder.

I also tested the brakes without the car running and I had a very firm pedal so I knew I didn't get any air in the lines there either.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #21
Crime2
Got Boost?

Drives: 2010 1SS RS
Quote:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Would you post a link to this? Not able to find it on your website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If it is spelllled wrong, deal with it.
Crime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #22
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
How does the reservoir get removed from the master cylinder? Remove bolt in front and lift off? Any o-rings?
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #23
Nick S

One bolt in front and one in the rear (The rear bolt is kind of a pain because there's not a lot of room and you can't really see what you are doing). Then you just lift the reservoir off the master cylinder. Yes there are two black seals that will probably stay in the master cylinder on you so you'll need to make sure you pull them out before installing the new reservoir with the new seals.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
Speed2acer

Drives: 2010 2RS/SS Summit White/Inferno
Send a message via Skype™ to Speed2acer
Quick question: Has anyone tried using LIzardSkin on the lines to keep them cool? It would reduce the heat which is what we are all looking for.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #25
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
One bolt in front and one in the rear (The rear bolt is kind of a pain because there's not a lot of room and you can't really see what you are doing). Then you just lift the reservoir off the master cylinder. Yes there are two black seals that will probably stay in the master cylinder on you so you'll need to make sure you pull them out before installing the new reservoir with the new seals.
Thanks.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #26
JDP Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime2 View Post
Would you post a link to this? Not able to find it on your website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If it is spelllled wrong, deal with it.
Vendors are not allowed to post external links in the technical sections. Here is the LINK to our sale thread in the vendor section. You can follow the links in there, or feel free to give me a call toll-free at 888-308-6007 and I would be happy to assist you over the phone!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #27
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
@ Nick S or CHMSC...

I'm getting my Stage 2 kit tomorrow....besides putting down lots of towels and getting a pair of long needle nose pliers do y'all have any other tips? thanks!

Edit: read the first post....Before i pump the clutch several times or so...so i'll need to wiggle the new hose to get all the air out of the hose to get the fluid to flow in....My question is when will i know to do this? will there be air bubbles in the small reservoir?

Last edited by Lil' Nasty; 06-08-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #28
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
@ Nick S or CHMSC...

I'm getting my Stage 2 kit tomorrow....besides putting down lots of towels and getting a pair of long needle nose pliers do y'all have any other tips? thanks!

Edit: read the first post....Before i pump the clutch several times or so...so i'll need to wiggle the new hose to get all the air out of the hose to get the fluid to flow in....My question is when will i know to do this? will there be air bubbles in the small reservoir?
Yes if you wiggle the hose and move it around with the new clutch reservoir cap off you will see the bubbles coming out and bubbling up. Make sure to do this until you cannot get any more bubbles to come out. You should have to refill your new clutch reservoir at least once after the initial fill of fluid. This will be due to the air bubbles coming out and the clutch fluid flowing into the new clutch hose and taking the place of the air in the hose. So if you don't need to put additional fluid in at least once then you probably don't have all the air out.