Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Hey, the 97 SS is a nice ride, but let's not get carried away. 5th gen is leaps and bounds ahead, as it should be. It's a 5th gen. As always, THANKS FBOD for the insight.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
I am among the people that didn't like the C4 and it sitting position. Had an C3 86 IROC and like the exterior and couldn't drive that thing on long trips either. The C5 can be taking across the country in comfort.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #17
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
The C4 as a desirable (to me) car was so nondescript as to not turn my head. Not once. The first time I saw a C5, I LOOKED, and continue to look at each one I see. The C5 is an eye-candy head-turner. The C4 was just another jellybean car, imo.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #18
meb885

Drives: 13 CRT 2SS-1LE/06 Trailblazer
Once again, the Fbobfather has spoken!
Planned Upgrades Soon:De-Chrome (Black outs),
TEAM LS3
2010 2LT VIN#165 Traded In, 2010 2SS VIN#42415 Traded In
meb885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #19
Hall of Fame

Drives: Hall of Fame
Well the C5 needs to go on a diet. My 97 SS has factory 17" wheels .
Hall of Fame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #20
Redskinfan72

Drives: Victory Red 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

Not on a Cadillac Chassis.

Some would be stunned to see the amount of research that went into the
5th gen - we looked at a lot of data as to why people rejected the 4th gen car -

Believe it or not, but the 4th gen car had more room in the back seat than anything in its class back then.....BUT - many did not like the fact that you sat so low in the car - they asked for a more 'upright' driving position.......

That's just one of many insights we'd gotten over the years --

Another is that people wanted a car that has incredibly good looks -BUT - they want to be able to enjoy driving the car across the country in comfort if they so wish.............

There were so many different proposals over a period of years. One was the GMX-280 -- we worked on that in late 96 and early 97 - but rejected it because we felt it was too big and would make a better Monte Carlo than Camaro. We could not change tumble-home, Radiator/cooling, cowl height, and some of the sheetmetal - it later became the GTO!

The Camaro Concept was a stunning hit no matter how you look at it.....and America and Canada made something real clear:

"Build it and we'll buy it - but DON'T change it!"

...........and so we did build it with very little change.

For those of us who own a 5th gen - we know how it turns heads everywhere we go. We know how comfortable the car can be -- and frankly, how quiet it can be at 70mph on a freeway.........

There's a lot to love about this car - and I think what's most telling is that we still get a 'thumbs up' no matter where you drive a new Camaro - including right here in the Motor City where people don't normally turn to watch cars driving down the street....

One other note: The new Camaro has a very high beltline - which makes the car appear even more massive......that coupled with big wheels/tires makes the car look much bigger.

(Case in point: Go look at a 16 inch Z28 wheel on the 4th gen -and then look at an RS wheel on the 5th gen..........!!!!)
Love hearing the back story on this awesome car....The 4th Gen looked like a doorstop IMO. The design team on the 5th Gen hit a home run
Redskinfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #21
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
The C4 as a desirable (to me) car was so nondescript as to not turn my head. Not once. The first time I saw a C5, I LOOKED, and continue to look at each one I see. The C5 is an eye-candy head-turner. The C4 was just another jellybean car, imo.

never had any desire for the 4th gen in any package offered. 5th gen was a must have. I see it as a huge step forward if you ask me
Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #22
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall of Fame View Post
Well the C5 needs to go on a diet.

NO! Where did you hear THAT?

Keep one thing in mind: Weight is our enemy - it affects fuel economy. We will change the surface of a body panel to get 3/100ths of a mile per gallon improvement.

Want those great, comfortable seats that are still great after 8 hours of driving?

Pounds

Want great looking sheetmetal that doesn't oilcan as you polish your pride and joy?

Pounds

Want a quiet ride?

Pounds

Want 5-star crashworthiness?

Pounds

Want those great 'shoulders' -without a ditch molding at the bottom of the C-pillar?

Pounds

The list goes on.

As Al Oppenheiser said in a meeting in the early part of development: "We've called Jenny Craig!" - and he and his staff worked night and day to pull every gram out of the car -- while keeping it affordable. (we can make the body out of carbon fiber, but it would not be affordable.....)
Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #23
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Let me also say this: I still think the 4th gen is killer looking.......and when we were building them in 2002, I still had people say "What a great looking car!" -

That said - I don't ever recall a Camaro causing as much ruckus as the 5th gen......people just get this big-ole grin when they start to look at it........that demonstrates GREAT design.

Something to keep in mind:

The 4th gen was essentially a 3rd gen with a new front suspension/sheetmetal/drivetrain/interior. If you put a 1975 Monza in the air - and a 2002 Camaro in the air -and you look at the underpan - you're shocked as to how similar they are! The architecture was old - but look at how well they still perform!

The 4th gen STILL puts cars costing many times more -- to shame on tracks such as Spring Mountain, Mosport, etc..........and I am very proud of that car and thus will keep "Lord Quicksilver" until I die. (he's a 2002 SS Brickyard 400 Convertible from the 2002 Brickyard) He's just a blast to drive with the top down on a warm summer's day........and even better in the evening!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #24
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I was never a big fan of the 4th generation look.

I like Camaros in the following order:

1st Generation, 5th Generation, 2nd Generation, 3rd Generation, 4th Generation.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #25
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
Quote:

NO! Where did you hear THAT?

Keep one thing in mind: Weight is our enemy - it affects fuel economy. We will change the surface of a body panel to get 3/100ths of a mile per gallon improvement.

Want those great, comfortable seats that are still great after 8 hours of driving?

Pounds

Want great looking sheetmetal that doesn't oilcan as you polish your pride and joy?

Pounds

Want a quiet ride?

Pounds

Want 5-star crashworthiness?

Pounds

Want those great 'shoulders' -without a ditch molding at the bottom of the C-pillar?

Pounds

The list goes on.

As Al Oppenheiser said in a meeting in the early part of development: "We've called Jenny Craig!" - and he and his staff worked night and day to pull every gram out of the car -- while keeping it affordable. (we can make the body out of carbon fiber, but it would not be affordable.....)
You can't please everyone, but the 5th gen camaro IMO is one of the first cars since 72 GM has put out that I have been above 90% satisfied with.

Thanks FF for the back story and thanks to the entire Camaro team for making such an awesome car!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #26
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:

For those of us who own a 5th gen - we know how it turns heads everywhere we go. We know how comfortable the car can be -- and frankly, how quiet it can be at 70mph on a freeway.........

I get compliments and such all the time. People in BMWs, MerBenz, etc will give me thumbs up..

The first few weeks of ownership I almost got busted for speeding several times... I was doing around 80 in a 55 (no other real traffic) and didn't even notice until I looked down. The car simply didn't feel like it was going that fast (was quiet, comfy and showed 0 signs of that speed).. Honestly, this car hates going slow in any gear.

As far as body... No comparison.. Sure, it's heavier -- but, it's got more grunt... I hated the 4th Gen body roll...

The interior wipes the floor with a 4th gen.. After long road trips in it, I get out feeling just fine. No soreness, no neck issues, nothing.

My biggest complaint is that I didn't have the option to buy a 2010 TransAm. heh
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
Hall of Fame

Drives: Hall of Fame
C4 and C5 are both nice cars but a lot of differences. Rake of windshield is massive on the C4. C5 has a short angle windshield, larger front end and more square body. C4 has a sportier look to me like a Corvette's front end.

Hall of Fame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #28
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
The 5th gen is a bigger car, but also a better performer.

Regarding the weight gain, think about safety features alone. The 5G has 4 more airbags than the 4G, and a lot more vital room in the passenger cabin. I remember in my 2000 Z28 how close I was to the door, how much closer my knees and legs were to the steering wheel and dash, etc. For the size that the 4G was, interior space was cramped. And remember the hump for the cat on the passenger floor? Oh man that was annoying.

The 5G has infinitely more electronics; sensors, heated seats, audio equipment. You couldn't get OnStar or EBD or Stability Control in the 4G cars. I realize performance enthusiasts aren't thrilled about some of that stuff, but it what makes this big bad car sell to folks that feel safer with that stuff (and to satisfy federal regs as well).

The hood is higher to meet safety standards, as is the beltline. The rear suspension has more parts, but on the flip side, it handles way better than the solid axle setup of generations past.

It's def-def-DEFINITELY not a step backward. More like a huge leap forward. This is one of the best performing, well-optioned, and nicely finished examples of a 'Camaro' that GM has ever produced.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote