Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
LS2SLOW

Drives: 5th Gen
Pulling timing only when nitrous is activated

Might be a dumb question but what is the best way to pull timing only when the nitrous is activated....I want to run my n/a tune for just normal driving and the fi tune when the system is armed.
LS2SLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
The ignition boxes are the answer typically...but I am pretty sure med and crane both make controls to dial timing back on the fly. Or, get with janetty and have Ted send you an sct with two maps you can upload.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Louis @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 2009 CG Z06
There are a few different ways to skin a cat- You can use an LPE/HSW style box that ties into the crank sensor, and will pull timing when you arm the nitrous system. These are nice, because they are adjustable with out tuning, however, you cannot see total timing removed in the logging software, because its done after the PCM commands said timing. You dont know for sure if its pulling timing unless you turn off the nitrous, disconnect the fuel solenoid, and do a no nitrous, motor pass on the dyno, and look for 15-40 hp loss.

The second way is through the intake air temp sensor. You can run a resistor through a relay, that when armed, makes intake air temp a set temp (160* or 30*, what ever as long as you dont touch it in normal driving conditions).

As soon as the n20 is activated, it triggers this set IAT.

In the IAT vs Timing offset table, you pull the amount of timing you want removed, and voila. This method shows up in scanning/logging software.

Louis
Louis @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Graham@N

Drives: Pontiac Firebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports View Post
There are a few different ways to skin a cat- You can use an LPE/HSW style box that ties into the crank sensor, and will pull timing when you arm the nitrous system. These are nice, because they are adjustable with out tuning, however, you cannot see total timing removed in the logging software, because its done after the PCM commands said timing. You dont know for sure if its pulling timing unless you turn off the nitrous, disconnect the fuel solenoid, and do a no nitrous, motor pass on the dyno, and look for 15-40 hp loss.

The second way is through the intake air temp sensor. You can run a resistor through a relay, that when armed, makes intake air temp a set temp (160* or 30*, what ever as long as you dont touch it in normal driving conditions).

As soon as the n20 is activated, it triggers this set IAT.

In the IAT vs Timing offset table, you pull the amount of timing you want removed, and voila. This method shows up in scanning/logging software.

Louis
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...1&product=3467

The Lingenfelter unit will allow you to see timing in tuning software. This alone is one of the biggest reason for us pushing this product.
Graham@N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
LS2SLOW

Vector motorsports does my tuning...so with the lingenfelter unit they can load my n/a on the controller and when the n2o is activated it will automatically retard the timing to the nitrous tune???
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
I run the MSD Timing Twister and it only pulls timing when nitrous is armed.

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Graham@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2SLOW View Post
Vector motorsports does my tuning...so with the lingenfelter unit they can load my n/a on the controller and when the n2o is activated it will automatically retard the timing to the nitrous tune???
I am not really sure what you mean by loading anything. The controller will simply pull out timing when it is armed. You set the dial to pull out whatever amount of timing you require for the nitrous.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
LS2SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham@Nitrousoutlet View Post
I am not really sure what you mean by loading anything. The controller will simply pull out timing when it is armed. You set the dial to pull out whatever amount of timing you require for the nitrous.
I got ya now sorry for the confusion...I was under the impression that the controller would have 2 separate tunes on it
Old 08-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Graham@N

Just making sure we are on the same page. Let me know if you run across anything else confusing. Happy to help out. Nitrous is one of those things where this a lot of miss information out there so I will spend as long as I need to, to make sure you have all the tools at hand to keep the car safe and ripping off some killer Et's
Old 08-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
CBRTRX

Drives: 2015 CAMARO 1LE
All these ways work, I do it through the etc sensor in my car. Works similar to the iat mod but is far more accurate and it also shows on your gauges while its working. You can even build a completely adjustable timing curve in 500 rpm increments. You can even set it up for multiple timing retards. I've been using this system for about 6 years now in multiple ls cars, it works great and cost less then $15 to make, you just need access to tuning software.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Quote:
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...1&product=3467

The Lingenfelter unit will allow you to see timing in tuning software. This alone is one of the biggest reason for us pushing this product.
Does this unit retard the timing when the Kit is armed? or when the solenoids are activated? Or can it be wired to do either?

Thanks!!
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Graham@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris View Post
Does this unit retard the timing when the Kit is armed? or when the solenoids are activated? Or can it be wired to do either?

Thanks!!
It can be wired either way, But I would want it wired to pull timing on activation.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Quote:
It can be wired either way, But I would want it wired to pull timing on activation.
Thanks Graham,

Thats what I thought, and I agree
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
Graham@N

Not a problem sir.