Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
As of now with today's technology you will always make more power without cats or with less cats. It may be in the 1-5 rwhp range but to some thats worth it.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #16
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
A "few more horses" does not justify the removal of your catalytic converters. Modern vehicles are actually fed a richer mixture of fuel to improve Cat efficiency. The "restriction" has often been tuned to create the appropriate backpressure needed for the surprisingly large amount of torque our little 217 cubic inch engines provide, and the restriction is miniscule compaired to the original cats.

Its like saying the computer you're looking at right now is just like the ones used in 1974 (1st year of unleaded gas and the "cat").

Too often a little more noise is mistaken for power-and very often just the opposite is the case. I'd bet $100 bucks right now if you make no mods to a modern Camaro and just cut off the cats you'll do nothing but make noise, smell like raw gas, have a check engine light to look at, and LOSE power.

IMHO, of course...
thankfully ur opinion is just that, because the dyno says ur wrong in my case...catless and muffler delete spelled 9 hp for me and no torque lose..
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #17
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
cats are good for those believing the global warming hype...and running stock..if u want real power lose the cans and the garbage in them....or risk the melt down, internal heat and damage that comes with too much power and cats...its like sex...they say its the same with plastic, but we all know it aint...real talk
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
A "few more horses" does not justify the removal of your catalytic converters. Modern vehicles are actually fed a richer mixture of fuel to improve Cat efficiency. The "restriction" has often been tuned to create the appropriate backpressure needed for the surprisingly large amount of torque our little 217 cubic inch engines provide, and the restriction is miniscule compaired to the original cats.

Its like saying the computer you're looking at right now is just like the ones used in 1974 (1st year of unleaded gas and the "cat").

Too often a little more noise is mistaken for power-and very often just the opposite is the case. I'd bet $100 bucks right now if you make no mods to a modern Camaro and just cut off the cats you'll do nothing but make noise, smell like raw gas, have a check engine light to look at, and LOSE power.

IMHO, of course...
Hmmm.. free $100 bucks sound good lol. I agree with you on everything except for the losing power part. If aftermarket header on a stock car provide gain than removing the cats on a stock header and replacing with either high flow or straight pipes should do the same. The only way it would screw things up is if you don't install the up stream o2 after modifying but I don't know anyone who would be stupid enough to think they don't have to use the 1st o2's.

Also, all cars are different. Some cars gain 12-18hp when removing the cats and some cars like ours only gain about 5-7-9hp. The hp gain vs everything else affected by not having cats is definitely not worth it on our camaro, but I don't think there's anyone here that I know of within the V6 crowd that went with OBX catless headers for HP gains. For myself and I think for everybody else was the price point. If I have to ever buy headers again I would go with high flow cats unless I decide to stay on e85 in which case emission, pollution, or smell is not an issue at all.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #19
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipimpthisc View Post
cats are good for those believing the global warming hype...and running stock..if u want real power lose the cans and the garbage in them....or risk the melt down, internal heat and damage that comes with too much power and cats...its like sex...they say its the same with plastic, but we all know it aint...real talk
I have been asking the questions because I was curious if this was about emissions or power. We have global warming and our magnetic field is becoming more weak. This field is a solar insulator and my cats don't affect the magnetic field. Sorry if I offend anyone.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #20
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
I have been asking the questions because I was curious if this was about emissions or power. We have global warming and our magnetic field is becoming more weak. This field is a solar insulator and my cats don't affect the magnetic field. Sorry if I offend anyone.
I hope I don't have to hear your killing the earth comments soon
Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #21
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
LMAO I guess I got a little TOO heavy. I find myself in the center of most things and hate extreme positions on both sides. I give this thread back.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 AM   #22
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
All need to drive a Prius! LOL

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #23
10RsCamaro
Slow v6

Drives: Automatic Automobile
Send a message via Skype™ to 10RsCamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
10RsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #24
Dcmaro28

Drives: 2011 LS CGM / '01 Trans am (ls6)
This is more about power than anything, I could care less about emissions... there is already enough prius's on the road here in missouri.. I do have a tune, cat back exhaust and intake. I figured i would gain around 5 hp from doin so and thats around 10 bucks per horsepower from my exhaust guy which doesnt seem to bad
Dcmaro28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #25
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Meow
Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #26
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post

She is such an unpleasant person to look at and listen to. "Hi I'm better than you, IIIIIIIIIII drive a Prius." Meanwhile the obvious fact that she is eating way more than her fair share of food while others on this planet are starving escapes her LOL.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #27
'11CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
hahaha thats awesome. i love how stuck up some hybrid owners are. the whole time i was watching the video i was really really hoping the guy in the truck would start revving it a bunch. a friend of mine with a diesel truck can adjust his tune and when he romps on it just black smoke barrels out...that would have been a perfect thing to do lol
'11CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #28
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Do you gas heads forget that prius still use gasoline? we need to get back on our mountain bikes Anyone up for a 1/4 mile mountain bike race?