Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #29
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
If u don't like it u can always return it

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #30
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
Traction control should be turned off when launching for fun!!! LOL. Half the fun of driving these things is REALLY driving them. Once you get a good feel for the car you should be able to put the hammer down and still hang on to her. She may get a little squirlly but thats half the fun. All this being said, be very careful with ANY V8 f-body.
They are not a toy and should be respected. You dont want to injur someone esle, yourself or your car.[In that order]
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #31
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I expect to feel a nice pull that is more than my LS1 had, nothing more.
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #32
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
And if you watch the 0-60 videos you will see the cars where in mode 1, hardly any wheel spin. So you have the power to do 0-60 in 4.7 to 4.5 so your backside should be getting pushed into the seat.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:59 AM   #33
Scott@Bjorn3D

Also a SS auto in mode 4 has broken lose in 1, 2 and 3 gear.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #34
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
In all of the official times we have seen, the auto was either the same or 0.1 seconds faster than the manual in the 0-60. So if the auto feels slower, maybe you're doing something wrong. I think it is possible that you're launching from second gear. I haven't read the manual yet, but like Scott said above, you might have to turn traction control off the get "oomph" you're looking for.

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #35
ud_lose

Drives: '04 Ford F250 6.0L/'69 vette LS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
EXCUSE ME. Tell us what mode the Traction Control is in when you say this. If you leave it in default mode it will be quick but not give you that push back in the seat since the computer is working hard not to break the tires loose.

When I was in one going to mode 3 or mode 4 was a night and day difference over mode 1 when you stomped on it.

Put it in one of those modes and then come back and tell us what you think.
How do you switch modes? 1,2,3, and 4? I thought that the Traction Control was on or off.
ud_lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #36
DETROIT2010Camaro

Drives: ALL Chevys
YOU still didnt post pics yet.... IBM=NEED TO SEE!!!
DETROIT2010Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #37
Scott@Bjorn3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ud_lose View Post
How do you switch modes? 1,2,3, and 4? I thought that the Traction Control was on or off.
There are 4 modes on the Auto

1. Traction Control On, Stabiltrack on.
2. Traction Control Off, Stabiltrack on
3. Traction Control and Stabiltrack tuned for road racing, there to save you butt. In therory not recommend for street use.

Then the lovely 4. Everything off and hang onto your butt.

The modes are controled by the button in front of the shifter. The mode you are in will displayed on the DIC.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #38
C P

Drives: 2000 Camaro
You are comparing a stock street car to a big displacement, heads, cam, geared, stalled, carbed car and complaining about the acceleration? I'm sure the Monte Carlo was quiet, reliable, comfortable, had a compliant ride, great gas mileage, was daily drivable for 99% of the population, etc etc etc. You are really making a worthless comparison in this thread. If you are disappointed that the acceleration is not up to par with your old vehicle maybe you shouldn't have traded up... or down I guess.
C P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #39
ud_lose

Drives: '04 Ford F250 6.0L/'69 vette LS6
Thanks. I drove a V6 around last night and was less then impressed. Thank god I ordered a 2SS. I loved the car, but the V6 was slower then my wifes 330XI.
ud_lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restroom View Post
We're really talking about torque here and everyone's quoting horsepower.
I hope I don't have the same reaction as the OP. I did when I drove the Charger SRT8 and the G8 GXP. That Hemi sounded positively orgasmic, but only when the throttle was all the way open, and I'd be in jail if I drove it with my foot down into the firewall like I'd want to, just to tease that noise out. The G8 suffers from a problem that Pontiacs have for a long time; it's too benign. It felt no more violent when you put the coals to it than the G8 GT. It's a nice car, but it's too nice.

I'm hoping the Camaro is more raw-boned and prone to indiscretion. You know, a muscle car. I don't give a damn how fast it goes around the Nordschliefe, and I don't care if it's a hundredth of a second faster or slower on the strip than something else. I want it to give me that smile that you get pasted on when you put the hammer down in a proper car. Hopefully you all know exactly what I mean when I say that.
I bet there's a good amount of Torque Management (TM) that GM writes into the tranny programing. I'm sure that a good tranny tune would really wake this car up, much like they do for G8 GTs. I've read results of almost a half second improvement in the 1320' with a simple tranny and engine tune and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Well you did buy an auto... JK. I have 120 miles on mine now and all I can say is I am very impressed. I see why they put those headrests in, keeps you and your passenger from getting whiplash.
THAT'S ALL?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
Another perspective here is how fast is fast. I think this is going to be a great car but I was looking back at some specs on the LT1, LT4 and LS1. Seemed like worst case the new Camaro is 1 second faster in the 0-60 time and best case some were almost as fast. The LT4 was actually quicker with a 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds. Unless you are drag racing or street racing someone side by side many of these differences are almost un-noticable. I know my LT1 Z28 auto with 3:23 gears runs dead even with LS1 SS's.
Go figure. Horsepower is not everything. Many cars with 300hp to 350hp if set up properly will give a 400hp car a good run.
Comparing a 3900 lb. car tuned for comfort, reliability, and fuel economy is quite unlike a drag car with a hairy cam. It's all relative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Also a SS auto in mode 4 has broken lose in 1, 2 and 3 gear.
WOW! I'm waiting to see some more times from members

Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
You are comparing a stock street car to a big displacement, heads, cam, geared, stalled, carbed car and complaining about the acceleration? I'm sure the Monte Carlo was quiet, reliable, comfortable, had a compliant ride, great gas mileage, was daily drivable for 99% of the population, etc etc etc. You are really making a worthless comparison in this thread. If you are disappointed that the acceleration is not up to par with your old vehicle maybe you shouldn't have traded up... or down I guess.
I was think that too. Considering a LS1 F-body ran something like low-5 second 0-60 I think another half second improvement would be quite good. Still - maybe it's a little softer at higher speed because of the wind drag

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #41
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ud_lose View Post
Thanks. I drove a V6 around last night and was less then impressed. Thank god I ordered a 2SS. I loved the car, but the V6 was slower then my wifes 330XI.
0-60 is almost identical. (6.2sec 0-62 for the 330i xDrive, 6.1sec 0-60 for the Camaro v6)
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #42
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Your problem with acceleration is that you obviously don't have the right stickers on the vehicle yet. You need at a MINIMUM, a Moroso, Edelbrock and FlowMaster stickers on the back glass to get the seat-pounding, peel your face off ,acceleration you're looking for.

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote