Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

Drives: 2018 Nightfall Gray ZL1
Contemplating Headers?

I am thinking about getting a set of Longtube headers. I don't want to mess up my daily driver though. Would I have any reliability issues if I bought a good quality set such as Kooks? If you have headers, do you ever regret getting them? Will they drastically reduce my mpg? Not a huge issue, but I like getting 22ish. Anything 20 or better will still be fine. Opinions welcome!

Oh yeah... Really good chance I am getting a tune headers or not. Need to wake up that L99!
GSTRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
MPG ??? really ??? you have an 8 cylinder muscle car that you want to make faster. Put the headers on and enjoy. You should add a CAI while your at it. Air in air out and good tune is always a good move. Not a shot in hell you will regret it.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Tundra View Post
I am thinking about getting a set of Longtube headers. I don't want to mess up my daily driver though. Would I have any reliability issues if I bought a good quality set such as Kooks? If you have headers, do you ever regret getting them? Will they drastically reduce my mpg? Not a huge issue, but I like getting 22ish. Anything 20 or better will still be fine. Opinions welcome!

Oh yeah... Really good chance I am getting a tune headers or not. Need to wake up that L99!
With a quality set of headers and a good tune you will not have any driveability or reliability issues. Any change in fuel economy will be due to you putting your foot deeper in the throttle so you can enjoy the improved sound and power.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
MPG ??? really ??? you have an 8 cylinder muscle car that you want to make faster. Put the headers on and enjoy. You should add a CAI while your at it. Air in air out and good tune is always a good move. Not a shot in hell you will regret it.
I should have stated that I already have a CAI intake that I love. I have also deleted my mufflers. May have to put a good cat back system on there if I decide on headers. I don't know if the radio will get quite loud enough! would still like to be able to talk to my wife....Some! Would i have good enough gains just adding the LT's with the stock cats and the resonator? Or would spending all that money on headers be useless without hi-flow cats?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
I should have stated that I already have a CAI intake that I love. I have also deleted my mufflers. May have to put a good cat back system on there if I decide on headers. I don't know if the radio will get quite loud enough! would still like to be able to talk to my wife....Some! Would i have good enough gains just adding the LT's with the stock cats and the resonator? Or would spending all that money on headers be useless without hi-flow cats?
You can not use your stock cats with long tube headers. You have to either go with high flow cats or a cat delete. For the application you are describing I would not suggest cat deletes.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Quote:

Yes you will need high flow cats. Not really an option
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
You can not use your stock cats with long tube headers. You have to either go with high flow cats or a cat delete. For the application you are describing I would not suggest cat deletes.
Cat delete would work, but I would have to buy a catback exhaust right? Or would that still be too freakin loud? Would it hurt the reliability/longevity of my engine to run without cats? I used to have a LS1 Trans Am that would rumble my old girlfriends house! They could feel it when i pulled up! It was a beast. I want good clean sound with out breaking a bunch of noise ordinances! I am a huge fan of Flowmaster. I love their rumble so much every V8 I have every own had one. Best buds with the muffler shop guy helped. Held off for a while on my Tundra, but it now has a super 44 on it!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

Quote:
Yes you will need high flow cats. Not really an option
What brand/combo do you suggest? 1 7/8 right?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Cat delete would work, but I would have to buy a catback exhaust right? Or would that still be too freakin loud? Would it hurt the reliability/longevity of my engine to run without cats? I used to have a LS1 Trans Am that would rumble my old girlfriends house! They could feel it when i pulled up! It was a beast. I want good clean sound with out breaking a bunch of noise ordinances! I am a huge fan of Flowmaster. I love their rumble so much every V8 I have every own had one. Best buds with the muffler shop guy helped. Held off for a while on my Tundra, but it now has a super 44 on it!
Whether you go with high flow cats of cat deletes has no bearing on what you mount behind it. Neither with require you to go with an aftermarket cat back. You just have to make sure you are buying a set of headers that utilizes the factory connection points (sometime called a "short system", not the same thing as short tube headers). Without cats it will be louder and you will get the rotten egg smell. Wives tend to not like that.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Put mufflers on and high flow cats or else you wont b avle to talk
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

You mentioned you didn't want it too loud. Kooks sells a complete exhaust system. You should get something with mufflers. I like kooks very much. As far as size goes, I like 3 inch inlet to a 2.5 outlet no cats and 2.5 the rest of the way out.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Ive got 1 3/4 JBA LTs on mine, get 22+ on the interstate and gained over 30rwhp. Drive it everyday.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
I like this guy!!!! You sound like my twin around here!

OP go with a 1 7/8's header I have the kooks on both my cars and since its your DD get them coated. I got mine thru Maryland speed they are sponsors here and have free shipping. Cats are pointless to me really but up to you. But pleeeease don't come here worried about MPG's or Warrantys because those are for Honduh's, Camrys and Subaloosers! Got on the mod train and get it started for the spring!!!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:

Adding headers will lower your mpg for sure especially if you don't get a proper tune. If you have already done a muffler delete and you don't want to wake the neighbors you'll need a catback. If you plan on having your wife in the car you might want a milder catback system to go with a set of long tubes.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote