Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Trailnut

Drives: '15 Colorado, '73 C/10
Oil / Filter Question

While changing the oil/filter in her yesterday, i couldn't help but notice how small the canister filter is

Since you loose very little if any oil when changing the filter, would it be a good idea to change the filter again at the mid point between oil changes? I'm willing to spend $7 to $12 extra if it would help keep the oil cleaner.

Also, do the V8s have a canister oil filter high on the engine?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I wondered that also, it is very easy to change the filter too. Alot of depends how many miles your driving, are they city or highway miles and what is your oil life meter reading. If you drive 6-8K on your oil. I would change it halfway. What would it hurt to do? 6 bucks out of your pocket? It's cheaper to change a filter than it would be to replace an engine. My brother in law has a mini cooper and he goes 16,000 miles on an oil change. he told me, that is what the manufacture recommends. I said he was nuts to do that.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailnut View Post
While changing the oil/filter in her yesterday, i couldn't help but notice how small the canister filter is

Since you loose very little if any oil when changing the filter, would it be a good idea to change the filter again at the mid point between oil changes? I'm willing to spend $7 to $12 extra if it would help keep the oil cleaner.

Thanks
How do you change filters at midpoint?
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
I wondered that also, it is very easy to change the filter too. Alot of depends how many miles your driving, are they city or highway miles and what is your oil life meter reading. If you drive 6-8K on your oil. I would change it halfway. What would it hurt to do? 6 bucks out of your pocket? It's cheaper to change a filter than it would be to replace an engine. My brother in law has a mini cooper and he goes 16,000 miles on an oil change. he told me, that is what the manufacture recommends. I said he was nuts to do that.
Mini = BMW, and Porsche also recommends 15k oil services. You have to trust the manufacturer recommendations. Oil is an incredibly robust substance these days. It'll go the distance under normal driving conditions.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Oldag

Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible, LS3
Good dino and synthetic oils may not degrade significantly in 10000 miles. But they will still carry the contaminants and particulates. The oil filter, no matter whose favorite brand, will not keep all of these from circulating. Oil changes are not very expensive. I see no reason to push to the high mileage limits.
Oldag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
First off, I would never trust American oils beyond 7500k. Gasoline and small diesel should never need to change filters mid way. In fleet service vehicles and larger diesel engines in industrial applications, yes. When I was younger, I used to service large screw air compressors with big ass cummins V-12's. Every xxx hours we'd shut em down, change all filters, top off fluids and fire em up. Sorry, went off on an old man ramble.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
I change at 3K, and I feel like i'm pushing it, lol.
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
Trailnut

Drives: '15 Colorado, '73 C/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrs View Post
How do you change filters at midpoint?
If you usually go 5000 miles between oil/filter changes - at 2500 you would change the oil filter again. I'm just a firm believer in good clean oil if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Joe Gibbs Racing recommends mid cycle oil filter changes.
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailnut View Post

Thanks
No, the V8 filter is under the pan

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I see a lot of threads about what brands of oil to use but what about the filters? GM, Fram or is there a something better?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
No, the V8 filter is under the pan

My oil filter is under the block but beside the oil pan. You have a special set up? Just kidding.

As for oil filters, there are several out there that are a good quality. If you stick with short oil change intervals, AC Delco, Purolator and Wix will work just fine. You also have your house brand Car Quest and Napa which are made by Wix. If you want to go longer like to 8k or more then K&N, Mobil 1, Pure One, Bosch Distance and AMSOIL are better suited for that.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote