Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #15
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Great discussion here gentlemen. I'd like to say that I really appreciate the respect that we are starting to see on this board for different types of forced induction systems. I think that in a perfect world, each of us would love to have the funds and time to try all the different FI systems out there. I know I would.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #16
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
KB can be fine if your goals are reasonable. <700rwhp or so. The camaro packaging still leaves a much smaller intercooler than mustangs/etc. Tried for a long time, and a TON of money to get a 3.6LC to make 900+. Easy on a mustang. $4k later, and tons of time, custom parts, etc, best it would do is 880rwhp.

If you do like CC, and just want 500-650rwhp, go for it. I still think the other choices are better options for multiple reasons, but KBs are not bad, as long as you are not going for huge power.
Yep. No doubt. GM pushrod engine architecture simply limits what we all can do in the LS world with a top mount supercharger (at least with a stock hood and base charger/manifold kits). The intercooler brick depth on a Ford or Dodge DOHC style motor is incredible compared to what we have to work with. The cam and pushrods only allow so much space in the LS...and the intercooler can only do so much in relation to its size.

If you are looking for 900+ HP builds...then you need to abandon the top mount supercharger option on a LS motor. Turbo and Centri can get you there.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:38 AM   #17
Big-T

Drives: 2014 2SS
You'll need a new hood insert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSalt View Post
This is my first Camaro (Since the 90's anyway) which I picked up 3 months ago. I have always had mustangs and KB's are very popular on that side.

Question is, am I missing something when comparing all the kits?

For less than the Whipple and Maggie I can get the 2.8L mammoth kit with everything needed for install and they seem to put up some bigger numbers.

They come with 47lb injectors? Most other kits or recommendations I see has 65's and up so that would be my other question. How do they get away with using 47's?
So, I didn't see anyone else mention it so I will.

I noticed you're running a 2015 Camaro. We 2014/2015 Camaro's have a super cool hood vent, and that hood vent will not clear either the Whipple nor the Kenne Bell.

I know there is a carbon-fiber vent for the Whipple (which you can buy separate on several sites), so that may be an option for you.. I'm not positive it would clear the Kenne Bell, but I would think it would. There is no drip tray, so if you don't have covered parking and worry about rainwater in the engine bay then you may want to look at the ACS hood insert instead.

I was looking really hard at the Whipple, but am likely going to go AGP TT because I don't want to change my vent.

If you're wondering about alternate root's style blowers, the heartbeat will fit under the stock vent, and the SLP will fit under a vent that looks almost the exact same as stock (and it's also the best priced 2300 blower and a really well done kit). Both will also get you over 500rwhp, and close to the same 575ish with headers and intake. I'm sure the extra volume of the Whipple/KB pays off once you've dumped enough money into the fuel system and cam, but the Whipple's and Kenne Bell's aren't running away with the power gains on the stock kits... they're all selling the same basic power on the outset, so if your not going to squeeze every drop out of it, you can likely get the same power out of a 2300 without having to change the look of your car.

In the end, though, talk to your tuner... Find out what he thinks, and what's he's pulled out of the different options.

And welcome to the club! Hope you enjoy your ride here on the other side of the tracks!

-T
Big-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #18
SS hp

Leaning towards Kenne Bell 2.8LC Kit.

Hello Members, I'm brand new to the Camaro Forum but was a Corvette Forum member for 10 years.

I just picked up a 2010 Camaro SS (Auto) stock w/43K miles on her and i'm leaning towards the, Kenne Bell 2.8LC Mammoth Supercharger.
* TS9008-2.8LC KIT $7299.00 8-14 PSI KIT (2010 UP LS3, L99) INTERCOOLED (COMPLETE KIT) 2.8LC LIQUID COOLED

This will be my 1st Supercharger and my goal is to stay under 600 hp and not have to spend much more in upgrades except for these two oter mods that I have bought but not put on yet.....
BORLA Cat-Back Exhaust ATAK part #140356
Hotchkis 80117 Race Pack TVS Kit.

I live in CA so the Emissions Natzes factor into my mod decisions.

Feedback always welcome even neg. (I have a thick skin).
SS hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #19
cc-rider

Great choice. I have a KB and I love it! Good luck. Let us know how your install goes and the results. Happy to help if you have any questions. PM me...
Old 03-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #20
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Shameless bump.

So like others have mentioned, if you just want to have fun in a daily driver / weekend car.

Not looking to do 1/4 miles or blow my car up with 550+rwhp

Then a kenne bell is a cool option? Flame me for it, but it's my car.... I really like the kenne bells over other models because of the supercharger whine they provide. I hate the cog mod on other blowers because the car sounds like the belt needs to be changed.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #21
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Hello all! I just worked on a 2014 Camaro last weekend that had a KB 2.8LC on it. I installed a dual nozzle methanol kit for him. As the owner of a Whipple, I have to say, his KB looked awesome under the hood. I really dig the smooth machined blower casing.

Any forced induction kicks ass!!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #22
MudderFinger

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
The Whipple has a completely different IAT sensor located in the rear of lower intake so it should be a cooler reading for one thing, and for another reason the different style sensor requires the change in resistance to re-calibrate it to read accurately. If not the ambient temp would not be correct when car is cold and not running. So I would not accuse them of rigging or cheating so to speak. The fact that the KB and Whipple are almost the same size you would also expect the KB would crank out almost as much horsepower as the Whipple, but this does not seem to be the case, I have seen stock LS3 motors make 565 with Whipple, and the results posted by CC were only 525 for stock so that is a big difference, about the same as adding Headers, but both are great Blowers as already stated, I do not currently own either but have had the Whipple in the past on my Camaro before going centrifugal, I was also very happy with it and never had a minutes worth of trouble.

The OP should get the KB if that is what he wants, and is happy with that kind of output, I have never heard anything bad about them other than the scuttlebutt about IAT, etc.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #23
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
Hello all! I just worked on a 2014 Camaro last weekend that had a KB 2.8LC on it. I installed a dual nozzle methanol kit for him. As the owner of a Whipple, I have to say, his KB looked awesome under the hood. I really dig the smooth machined blower casing.

Any forced induction kicks ass!!
Amen brother. Couldn't have said it better myself. Love my KB...but there are so many good options out there. And a data point somewhere to support anybody's argument.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #24
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Shameless bump.

So like others have mentioned, if you just want to have fun in a daily driver / weekend car.

Not looking to do 1/4 miles or blow my car up with 550+rwhp

Then a kenne bell is a cool option? Flame me for it, but it's my car.... I really like the kenne bells over other models because of the supercharger whine they provide. I hate the cog mod on other blowers because the car sounds like the belt needs to be changed.
you will start looking to do 1/4 miles, 1/8 miles, on ramps, light to light, driveways etc. lol.
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #25
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
How loud are you guys' Kenne Bell?

I know they SCREAM on Ford's DOHC engines, wanted to know if it was the same thing for us?
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:04 PM   #26
cc-rider

They scream louder than any other positive displacement charger system for the Camaro's for sure. I've got friends with Whipples, Maggie's, SLP...and I've heard just about every system out there on Camaro's at the track. If you like the twin screw scream, the KB takes the cake by a pretty big margin in the sound category. That being said, it is not "loud" by any means. I actually wish it was louder. You can hear it wail a bit, but it's more subdued and not as loud as some of the older style Kenne Bell blowers. I think the loudest system ever was the 2.2 Kenne Bell's pumping 16 psi on the Terminator mustangs. Those things almost pierced ears they screamed so loud. Some hate that. Some love it. I personally absolutely love the guttural primal scream a twin screw charger makes. Maybe I watched Mad Max too many times as a kid!

I think a big part of the reason is that they aren't spun up that much. Running 8-10 psi...the KB's are barely spinning. 4" pulley gets you 8 psi. They can huff a lot of air. More than the stock LS3 can really take. Which is good for future mods if you want to forge. I think if you forged and dropped compression and turned the blower up to 10-15 psi it would scream pretty good.

Hope that helps. I'm running 9.5 psi and I can hear it wail.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #27
jamesr

Drives: 2012 Camaro ss
when I'm in mine hard at 14 to 17 psi you can here it over exhaust and mine loud
Old 04-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #28
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
I love the whine of a KB, my Whipple is quiet but my exhaust is very loud...

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote