Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
TangoMike

Drives: 2012 2ls RS V6 Auto
Installed a lightbar.

Well after being inspired by another forum members post I decided to install an LED light bar. The car has the RS package so it already has bright lights, but there's always 2 things you need more of. Power and light.

I started with 2 small light pods (from an unfinished project I no longer have.) They are dual row, 6 LED spot/flood combo. Activated by a harness from Princess Auto (I guess the American equivalent would be Harbor Freight.)

Mounting was done underneath the car. My car originally had a front splitter on it, however the previous owner had it removed unintentionally. The mounting holes are just a tad smaller than the mounting bolts for the light, so it made for a nice tight fit. I put them near the centre of the car. The bolts are 7/16.

I dropped the harness down near the front driver side wheel. It's a great location to so as there's no moving parts and it's close to the driver side and power. Positive power is coming from the positive jumper post. Negative is on the factory intake filter box. It's bolted to the shock tower. I believe it's an 11mm. Harness has an in line fuse.

On the harness is a relay and a switch. I ran the power for the relay along with the switch into the cab. You could run along the hood, under the side trim behind the door, under the weather stripping into the cab. The other option is via the firewall hole where the hood release cable is.

Relay is powered with an add a fuse. Take a fuse out, and put the add a fuse in. This creates 2 powered fuses from one slot. Place fuse into the first slot, and place a new fuse into the 2nd slot. It doesn't have to be big, maybe one amp as its only running the relay, not powering the lights. Ground for the relay is mounted on the bolt in the upper left of the cabin fuse box. There is no nut, but I managed to find one laying around. Not sure of the size.

Last step is to place the switch where you want, and turn on the lights and aim them.

I am also looking at a larger lightbar behind the grill. When I do that, it will be aimed straight ahead, and the 2 pods will be angled out to the sides a bit. If I have room I'll move them behind the grill as well, but still aimed to the sides. This will give me a nice wide flood beam of over 180°

My inspiration for this project came from http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400339

All in all it was a fairly easy project. Total time should have been maybe 20 minutes. If doing the behind the grill thing, it will take a bit longer because you have to take the front off, and actually mount the light.

Also it took me way longer than 20 minutes. Lessons learned: make sure you have all the parts and that they fit. Missing or wrong sized bolts are just frustrating. Also some clearance will help. I did mine on the ground. A lift is best, if you have access. If not, then use a set of ramps (be sure to use a wheel chock) or even a floor jack and jackstands.

These lights are noticeable, but unless your looking for them I doubt you'd pay attention. They are low, so steep driveways or something like that will result in contact. But these are low, and aimed at the road, not straight ahead into oncoming traffic. I'd say they'd make good fog lights.

Pics with standard lights, LEDs and both on to follow once it gets dark.

Last edited by TangoMike; 09-27-2016 at 02:43 PM.
TangoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
pics or it didn't happen...

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehmsea View Post
pics or it didn't happen...
Soon. He stated that he will take some pics when Its darker out.
Soon my friend soon
Old 09-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
Think this guy lied to us! Where's the pictures? Pics. Lol
Old 09-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:28 AM   #6
TangoMike

Sorry guys, had a few problems to fix. Turns out when you drive through construction with a half the road missing you bottom out very easily and loosen up anything mounted under your car. I'm sure I've got it sorted out.

On a somewhat related note, the switch came with double sided tape that lasted 5 minutes. Any ideas on a better way to mount the switch.

And here's a picture (that somehow got turned upside down) of the way I mounted them.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I bottom out in a lot of areas where I drive so I'm wondering how long it'll take you to rip those off. Also this isn't a light bar it's just a light.........
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
kazperking

Those would last me about.... 30 minutes lol
kazperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #9
bigwayne3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazperking View Post
Those would last me about.... 30 minutes lol
Judging by that skid plate, he hits a lot of shit so I have no idea why the hell he'd think putting those boxes there would be smart. Not to mention, what is the light output here? How much road does it actually light up being under the car like that?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
TangoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
I bottom out in a lot of areas where I drive so I'm wondering how long it'll take you to rip those off. Also this isn't a light bar it's just a light.........

Bottom was like that when I got the car. Its from those cement parking blocks.

Anyway with the suspension travel on a mildly bumpy road they hit. Not enough to pull them out, but they won't stay aimed. They'll be moved to behind the grill. Keep in mind this wasn't a planned project. The lights were bought to fit a previous vehicle and I got the Camaro before I installed them. They're just sitting around and I thought I'd give it a shot. Didn't lose nothing but time.

And why isn't it a light bar? It's the exact same setup as a 50 inch only shorter. How long does it have to be? 2 inches? 10 inches? 20?
Old 09-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #11
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMike View Post
Sorry guys, had a few problems to fix. Turns out when you drive through construction with a half the road missing you bottom out very easily and loosen up anything mounted under your car. I'm sure I've got it sorted out.

On a somewhat related note, the switch came with double sided tape that lasted 5 minutes. Any ideas on a better way to mount the switch.

And here's a picture (that somehow got turned upside down) of the way I mounted them.

Holy CRAP you live in Australia . Grab something solid your about to fall off the planet .
Old 09-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMike View Post
Bottom was like that when I got the car. Its from those cement parking blocks.

Anyway with the suspension travel on a mildly bumpy road they hit. Not enough to pull them out, but they won't stay aimed. They'll be moved to behind the grill. Keep in mind this wasn't a planned project. The lights were bought to fit a previous vehicle and I got the Camaro before I installed them. They're just sitting around and I thought I'd give it a shot. Didn't lose nothing but time.

And why isn't it a light bar? It's the exact same setup as a 50 inch only shorter. How long does it have to be? 2 inches? 10 inches? 20?
I would think a light bar would be about 3 feet long not 4.5 inches like that little light you mounted . Sorry to see you lost one . Not the smartest place to mount those . They aren't cheap.