Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #281
FC_GIBB

Drives: 2012 Impala LTZ
wow this is turning bromantic

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "'The United States of America", for an amount "up to, and including my life". That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it.
FC_GIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #282
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
I can't wait to see the final result once you get your tune maximized. 380RWHP, hm... what are our stock? 260 RWHP ish ?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #283
ajax.

Drives: 12SS,12SRT8,14COPO,77Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyJester7 View Post
damn it Z! with all your results and info u are goin to make me 6k poorer!

I hate u. . .and love u at the same time. weird.

Ditto in the sense of being 6k poorer....
ajax. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #284
StangKiller818

Drives: pontiac g5 gt
but it will be worth it :-)
Old 07-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #285
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Z, thank you and BRAVO!
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #286
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax. View Post
Ditto in the sense of being 6k poorer....
What, no love?
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:47 AM   #287
radarwz
Boost All the Time!

Drives: 2005 pontiac GTO Twin Turbo
Any more than 8psi of boost on an 11.3:1 CR non forged stock bottom end and your asking for trouble.
Ask me how I know... lol

'56 Chev 3100 p/u Black, 400 v8 3spd on the tree.
!
radarwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 AM   #288
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Are you talking about the pistons? Our rods and cranks are forged.
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #289
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAR0 View Post
Are you talking about the pistons? Our rods and cranks are forged.
pistons are going to be a weak point... more specifically, most likely the piston ring landing, the thin part of the piston right above the rings. The pistons are hypertheuretic (spelling?) which means they are durable/long lasting, but they are some what brittle and do not tolerate detonation well... And due to emissions the rings are placed close to the top of the piston.. so you have this thin piece of brittle metal above the rings... under normal conditions they are fine and will last a very long time... but push them to hard and throw in some detonation and you will crack a piece off the piston... and then you are in trouble... i know... been there, done that... LOL
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #290
ajax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
What, no love?
Oh hell no man tons of love. Haha, I will be ordering mine within the next week or so. Thanks again for all the info, I called them up and they mentioned your setup and how you haven't had any issues etc. I did however get some info on the warranty.

It's dealer specific as to whether or not they want to allow the coverage after the turbo/addons are installed. Most usually don't have a problem because this is the same system/company that adds turbos daily to the new corvettes and almost all chevy dealers honor the warranty because it's a high demand item for the vette. Basically it shouldn't be an issue. Also he did say if for some reason they won't honor the warranty they know dealers that will.

Also for those interested if you do not have the tools/confidence to install it yourself they have a list of places who are pretty well known for installation of turbos.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #291
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax. View Post
Oh hell no man tons of love. Haha, I will be ordering mine within the next week or so. Thanks again for all the info, I called them up and they mentioned your setup and how you haven't had any issues etc. I did however get some info on the warranty.

It's dealer specific as to whether or not they want to allow the coverage after the turbo/addons are installed. Most usually don't have a problem because this is the same system/company that adds turbos daily to the new corvettes and almost all chevy dealers honor the warranty because it's a high demand item for the vette. Basically it shouldn't be an issue. Also he did say if for some reason they won't honor the warranty they know dealers that will.
I would be very leery of a anything someone tells you about your warranty over the phone....

Couple of things...

Big ticket items like motors, have to be approved by GM. At that point it's out of the dealerships hands. Pop your motor and the GM rep is going to have to come out and check it out... A dealership may not give you a hassle on little things and legally can't hassle on unrelated things, like your power windows stop working... but a big ticket item in your power train, like a motor or tranny... yeah, GM is probably not going to cover you... It's not the dealerships call...

Also, look at how GM is cracking down on power train warranty... they find a aftermarket tune on your ECU or any evidence of you having had one on there they void your entire power train warranty... You take your car in with the turbo on and ask them to fix your motor... well, i don't see it happening...

Now you could always return your car to stock and take it in.... but in my opinion, you want to play, you have to pay...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #292
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
I also believe the manual boost controller will allow you to not only adjust the boost level (which is starting to seem like its unsafe to up it much more than 6psi), but it will also keep boost levels more consistent throughout the RPM band which should make the dyno graph less peaky...While final hp output may not change, the delivery of that max HP should broaden across the band - this is as long as the ECU doesnt think there is too much of air or fuel and try to pull it back - but thats what the T-Tune is for, no?

I also agree about with high compression ratio its unwise to run high boost (but I still dont think 8 lbs is high by any means in the general turbo sense, but then again I dont know of any boosted cars with 11.3 : 1 either)

Working in the steel industry, the higher grade steel being used in these pistons does make them more durable (under their designed operating parameters), however they prob have a tensile close to their yield which means they are more brittle; so when they are outside of their operating parameters, they may be susceptible to cracking. BUT, we dont know how much of a safety factor was designed into them either, so they may be designed just like the STS kit - conservative and safe - which means there may be some leeway yet - but I still wouldnt try anything over 7-8 lbs when everything else is stock...

Boost gauge and boost controller are going to be two good ways to help along this path..
Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #293
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Not sure if you can compare the two, but my buddy in his acura rsx-s with a compression ratio of 11:1 runs his turbo at around 13-15psi.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #294
ajax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I would be very leery of a anything someone tells you about your warranty over the phone....

Couple of things...

Big ticket items like motors, have to be approved by GM. At that point it's out of the dealerships hands. Pop your motor and the GM rep is going to have to come out and check it out... A dealership may not give you a hassle on little things and legally can't hassle on unrelated things, like your power windows stop working... but a big ticket item in your power train, like a motor or tranny... yeah, GM is probably not going to cover you... It's not the dealerships call...

Also, look at how GM is cracking down on power train warranty... they find a aftermarket tune on your ECU or any evidence of you having had one on there they void your entire power train warranty... You take your car in with the turbo on and ask them to fix your motor... well, i don't see it happening...

Now you could always return your car to stock and take it in.... but in my opinion, you want to play, you have to pay...

Absolutely, Im going to poke around see what additional info I can get. When I get more info I'll post it.