Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
CarbonFibber

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Dealer offered me two different brake pads

After 30K miles, my original brake pads (2011 SS L99) are down to 4 to 5mm all around, so the dealer offered me replacement pads at $180-$25 rebate per axle. Sounded cheap to me since I know my car came with high performance pads. But it's a tiny dealer and apparently they haven't done many or any Camaro brake jobs yet, becaue when they took the old ones off, they noticed some weights that weren't on the replacement pads, so they looked into it more (I had to tell them about the brake squeaking in the early Camaros and the resonant dampers, etc.) and they said that the OE pads (exactly what I have now) would be about $330-$360 per axle, which unfortunately sounded more ike what I remember reading about here. But they said the cheaper pads they had were listed as a legitimate GM replacement part and that they should work fine. I had them hold off because I wanted to ask you all: Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper GM (or GM-approved) replacement pads? How much worse is the performance? Do they squeak?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
nferno
nferno SSLS3

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM
I just replaced mine with Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads, and they have no weights on them , and I have no noise or vibrations with them as of yet. I got them on amazon for 208 total both front and rear sets, cheapest I could find for hawk pads.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
At that price why don't you just get Hawk HPS pads or the Hawk Ceramic pads? I mean they aren't listed as a replacement part per GM - but they do perform better than the OEM pads.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
The cheaper pads are AcDelco durastop. They are likely ceramic pads and are a quality part. They will most likely be quiet but....you never can tell for sure.
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFibber View Post
After 30K miles, my original brake pads (2011 SS L99) are down to 4 to 5mm all around, so the dealer offered me replacement pads at $180-$25 rebate per axle. Sounded cheap to me since I know my car came with high performance pads. But it's a tiny dealer and apparently they haven't done many or any Camaro brake jobs yet, becaue when they took the old ones off, they noticed some weights that weren't on the replacement pads, so they looked into it more (I had to tell them about the brake squeaking in the early Camaros and the resonant dampers, etc.) and they said that the OE pads (exactly what I have now) would be about $330-$360 per axle, which unfortunately sounded more ike what I remember reading about here. But they said the cheaper pads they had were listed as a legitimate GM replacement part and that they should work fine. I had them hold off because I wanted to ask you all: Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper GM (or GM-approved) replacement pads? How much worse is the performance? Do they squeak?

I would definitely check with a dealership to see if they are actual GM-approved brake pads for your Camaro. Please let us know what you decide to do!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I would definitely check with a dealership to see if they are actual GM-approved brake pads for your Camaro. Please let us know what you decide to do!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
At that price why don't you just get Hawk HPS pads or the Hawk Ceramic pads? I mean they aren't listed as a replacement part per GM - but they do perform better than the OEM pads.

And if you are looking to save a little bit of money and you are even the slightest bit mechanically inclined disc brakes are one of the easiest things to do mechanically.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
I'd go with a set of Hawk HPS (Preferred) or Hawk Ceramic pads. The front and rear pads cost the same as the GM front pads alone.. They are pretty easy to change as well. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake pads, brakes, oem, squeak