Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #85
INtha305

Drives: 2010 camaro lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
Never get why this is so hard for some to understand. There are a million different styles for a reason. Everyone's taste is different.
everyone must have 17s and a supercharger lol
INtha305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #86
INtha305

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
looks good to me and i have 24's all around
thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #87
alv927

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss/rs dusk edition
the problem with big wheels on anything less than an 8 cyl is that the car can't handle the weight of the wheels. Not only that but the braking system, the rear axles, the suspension,engine and transmission, basically the whole car struggles. I'm sure you can bet your mpg rating is shot to hell too. If nothing else is upgraded to match the size including speedometer you can pretty much say goodbye to your baby. Just my opinion.
alv927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #88
INtha305

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv927 View Post
the problem with big wheels on anything less than an 8 cyl is that the car can't handle the weight of the wheels. Not only that but the braking system, the rear axles, the suspension,engine and transmission, basically the whole car struggles. I'm sure you can bet your mpg rating is shot to hell too. If nothing else is upgraded to match the size including speedometer you can pretty much say goodbye to your baby. Just my opinion.
and how many cars have you had on bigger rims? the mpg didnt go to hell. the car does not struggle. i have put 50,000 miles on the car with 24" rims on it the whole time. i drove from miami to boston with the rims on. not one problem. i recently changed the rims to 24/26. the weight of the rims are not that much of a difference. they are Asanti. you would be surprised how there is no difference how the car drives, handles, etc compared to stock. maybe a louder noise when a hard bump or something is ran over while driving, but thats about it. and the speedometer is not off at all.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #89
DALFE5

Drives: SILVER LT2 CONVERTIBLE
doesn't the SS COME WITH 20" wheels? isn't that "big" compared to a majority of newer cars out there? OP i think it looks good.
DALFE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #90
INtha305

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALFE5 View Post
doesn't the SS COME WITH 20" wheels? isn't that "big" compared to a majority of newer cars out there? OP i think it looks good.
thanks
Old 11-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #91
alv927

actually the factory placed 20"wheels on the ss not 24,26,28 or 32
Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #92
alv927

I own a 2.4l eclipse on 20's and yes it does drive but things have changed my speedo is off by 5 miles, if i was to drive from a stop light or sign its much more sluggish..I do know from experience and my brother owns a v6 dodge charger on 24" and the performance is much worse. Besides my post was just an opinion as I stated don't get your panties in a bunch....
Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #93
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Quote:
actually the factory placed 20"wheels on the ss not 24,26,28 or 32
Aren't the dusk edition wheels 21"?
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #94
alv927

yes here is posting that I just pulled from the web. Large wheels and low-profile tire can contribute to a car’s cool factor and boost handling, but — especially in cases where an owner force-fits big wheels — there are potential downsides. Shown are the 2012 Camaro ZL1′s 20-inch aluminum wheels, fitted with specially developed Goodyear Supercar F2 tires. A trend among car buyers is opting for larger wheels — either from the dealer or via aftermarket.
Eighteen-inch wheels are a common option, and some cars come standard with them. The base Chevy Camaro, for instance, rides on standard 18-inchers, and SS-packaged Camaros get standard 20-inch wheels. In the Camaro’s case, as well as with other vehicles that roll off the assembly line with large wheels, it’s engineered and tuned to accommodate the big wheels and tires, which improve performance. The list of potential problems that come with cruising on big donuts is much shorter in original-equipment situations than when owners take it on their own to force-fit larger wheels.
Big wheels generally mean low-profile tires. So looking cool comes at a high cost, as well as with potential downsides such as a harsher, noisier ride and a greater risk of damage from encounters with road debris, potholes, curbs, etc. Added weight of bigger wheels and tires can negatively affect acceleration and braking, and a vehicle’s onboard computer — which works in sync with a specific wheel diameter — won’t be able to accurately calculate speed.
Cars can look great with a set of large alloys filling the wheel openings, so I understand the temptation to increase wheel size. If you want you can check out the page yourself: http://blog.chron.com/carsandtrucks/...80%99s-wheels/
Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #95
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Quote:
yes here is posting that I just pulled from the web. Large wheels and low-profile tire can contribute to a car’s cool factor and boost handling, but — especially in cases where an owner force-fits big wheels — there are potential downsides. Shown are the 2012 Camaro ZL1′s 20-inch aluminum wheels, fitted with specially developed Goodyear Supercar F2 tires. A trend among car buyers is opting for larger wheels — either from the dealer or via aftermarket.
Eighteen-inch wheels are a common option, and some cars come standard with them. The base Chevy Camaro, for instance, rides on standard 18-inchers, and SS-packaged Camaros get standard 20-inch wheels. In the Camaro’s case, as well as with other vehicles that roll off the assembly line with large wheels, it’s engineered and tuned to accommodate the big wheels and tires, which improve performance. The list of potential problems that come with cruising on big donuts is much shorter in original-equipment situations than when owners take it on their own to force-fit larger wheels.
Big wheels generally mean low-profile tires. So looking cool comes at a high cost, as well as with potential downsides such as a harsher, noisier ride and a greater risk of damage from encounters with road debris, potholes, curbs, etc. Added weight of bigger wheels and tires can negatively affect acceleration and braking, and a vehicle’s onboard computer — which works in sync with a specific wheel diameter — won’t be able to accurately calculate speed.
Cars can look great with a set of large alloys filling the wheel openings, so I understand the temptation to increase wheel size. If you want you can check out the page yourself: http://blog.chron.com/carsandtrucks/...80%99s-wheels/
Lol
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #96
adrwhi
MonstaBGP

Drives: Shadow
Quote:

Exactly what I was gonna say! lol
adrwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #97
INtha305

well the good thing about it is.... its my money, my car, and if something happens because of my choices, i will handle it
Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 AM   #98
DJ UNKNOWN

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel RS
I've been gone from C5 for a couple months because I sold my Camaro, thought I'd drop in to see what's been going on and its still the everybody must ride on 16" wheels and if U dont conform then your dumb mentality! The funny thing is that online i got the same typical reactions to my 24's but in person i received sooooo many complements from people of all ages and races. Just do u OP, the car looks good .......
DJ UNKNOWN is offline   Reply With Quote