Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Brake question

How many miles should a 2SS have before needing new pads? I am at 8400 on a 2011, and I noticed the brakes starting to squeal when I pulled up to a drive up teller.

Last edited by Algeron; 02-09-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
Algeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
SS_Diaz

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to SS_Diaz
Mine were squeaking at about 15k miles. Took out the pads and they still looked good. Ended up replacing them anyway and now the squeaking is gone.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
motley1987

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Mine squeaked really early too, but it ended up being buildup from the tire shine I was spraying on. Once the pads and rotors were cleaned it stopped and hasn't come back since I started using a gel tire shine.
2011 IOM 1LT RS. K&N Typhoon CAI; Sequential taillights, SLP faded gill overlays, VMAX CNC ported TB, RX Ported IM, RX breather, 3/8" Black Ice-olator, OEM STB, 4 gauge pack, Alpine amp and sub, convertible spoiler, IOM painted rear diffuser, SS front and rear sways, SS front and rear struts and springs, Street Scene front splitter, IOM hideaway headlight covers, 5% window tint.
motley1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I sell brakes for a living and this is a very common misconception. Sqeaking brakes does not in any way mean worn out or needing to be replaced brakes. MOST of the time on squeling brakes, the brakes got hot and glazed over but cooled fast before the glazing could be worn off. Brakes need heat to work correctly and efficiently. Thats how they are designed. The industry describes brakes as friction material. Different brakes are designed to work at different temperature ratings. OEM or street brakes are designed to warm up faster and optimum braking is at a lower temp rating while brakes for the track are designed to work better at high temp ratings. They do not perform well in low temp ranges.

Didn't meen to get technical on you but get them good and hot enough to take the glazing off and you'll get rid of the squeling.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tys2010camaro View Post
I sell brakes for a living and this is a very common misconception. Sqeaking brakes does not in any way mean worn out or needing to be replaced brakes. MOST of the time on squeling brakes, the brakes got hot and glazed over but cooled fast before the glazing could be worn off. Brakes need heat to work correctly and efficiently. Thats how they are designed. The industry describes brakes as friction material. Different brakes are designed to work at different temperature ratings. OEM or street brakes are designed to warm up faster and optimum braking is at a lower temp rating while brakes for the track are designed to work better at high temp ratings. They do not perform well in low temp ranges.

Didn't meen to get technical on you but get them good and hot enough to take the glazing off and you'll get rid of the squeling.
Im glad that the OP asked this question, and am equally glad that you gave this thorough answer. Thank you both. This sets my mind at ease.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Whats the best way to heat up the front pads?
The back brakes I got covered

GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
Whats the best way to heat up the front pads?
The back brakes I got covered

Drive it like you stole it!

Most of your braking force comes from the front anyway, so you should have the fronts covered too.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Thanks for the info. I have not given her a good run since I bought her. Now, I have an excuse for a joy ride tomorrow.

Tags
brakes