Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Switch-Link

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS A6 LS3 conversion
Exclamation 700 HP Auto Trans problems

Does anyone have any experience seeing the auto trans flare or bounce off the rev limiter in between shifts? Almost sounds like a manual transmission getting knocked into neutral at WOT.. The car is supercharged, dyno's just under 700 RWHP. I've seen several other cars run this kind of power on stock trans with no issues. I JUST had the car built. No problems beforehand. And has anyone heard of problems with 2010 SS Auto transmissions?

Please help. Just dumped a boat load of money into my car and we all know transmissions aren't cheap. Thanks.
Switch-Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
jbrown13

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
I had a similar issue after my heads and cam install, and the installer's tuner couldn't solve the issue. Fired them and hired another tuner, Rhino79, and he solved the problem. IIRC, he thought the problem was being caused by the pump cavitating and what he did to solve it was raise the shift pressures and have me overfill the transmission by 1-1/2 to 2 quarts. No, the transmission did not blow fluid out the vent. Maybe he'll come along and correct me if I'm mistaken, and add to the story.

He also suggested I install a ZL1 transmission filter, which has a larger inlet opening than the SS filter. I bought the filter, but haven't installed it yet since the issue is gone. I'm going to have it installed when I ditch my cats later this year. Also having a dipstick installed on the transmission to correct GMs stupidity.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
white ZL1

Drives: none
Was going to say tuner and talk to Rhino. jbrown nailed it.
Hopefully it's not too late for your trans.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:23 AM   #4
rrrocketman
youtube.com/c/ChrisCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS w/ NPP and Hi Wing
Have you manually calibrated the pressure going to the pressure control solenoids? Have you increased line pressure in the torque tables? Sometimes with an auto shifting under high load, the shift will be delayed as the clutches and bands try to engage but slip and this can cause the RPMs to run away temporarily until it bites. If the soft parts aren't worn, it could just be a pressure issue. I had this problem and solved it completely by going to the FMC tables and upping the line pressure at the appropriate torque levels as well as installing HE band and clutches.
rrrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:25 AM   #5
Chevrolade
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
It's the trans tune man I had the same problem before I got tuned by Ryan at GPI!problem solved!! Good luck
Chevrolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Switch-Link

Thanks guys, this is what I heard too. I talked to another Camaro5 guy and he too recommended Ryan (Rhino79). I did get ahold of him and when I get a second am going to data log some WOT passes and send him my tune. We'll see what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed. My trans feels ok driving at normal to slightly aggressive, but every once in awhile at WOT I get that flaring and weird shifting. I think Ryan will fix me up.

Appreciate the feedback.
Switch-Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Switch-Link

Any known good sources for beefy transmission for these cars? Or a completely different shifting system for drag racing that's not ridiculously expensive?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
jbrown13

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Circle D in Houston, TX, and I imagine others, builds a beefy 6L80E transmission, but it is pricey.

Some guys with blower cars are switching to a built 4L80E transmission, which gets rid of the ridiculously low 1st gear. However, then it seems they require a lower rear gear for best times.

700 RWHP is pushing it with a stock 6L80E from what I have heard.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
Switch-Link

***Update***

Ryan (Rhino-79) at Gwatney Performance did an amazing job solving my transmission woes. I was told I needed to buy a new transmission and spend $3k replacing something that just needed a tune.

Just like doctors, get a second opinion. Most tuners are afraid ofauto trans tunes abd just know the basics. If you want an absolute wizard working on your car, hit up Rhino-79.

Time to go get a ten second time slip. ��
Old 09-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch-Link View Post
***Update***

Ryan (Rhino-79) at Gwatney Performance did an amazing job solving my transmission woes. I was told I needed to buy a new transmission and spend $3k replacing something that just needed a tune.

Just like doctors, get a second opinion. Most tuners are afraid ofauto trans tunes abd just know the basics. If you want an absolute wizard working on your car, hit up Rhino-79.

Time to go get a ten second time slip. ��
Awesome!
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote