Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What are your expectations for the 1/4-mile?
Faster than 12.50 14 32.56%
12.51 - 12.99 17 39.53%
13.00 - 13.49 8 18.60%
13.50 or slower 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
What's your expectation for speed?

My first poll.

So what are your expectations for what the 5th gen will do in the 1320? I guess a standard is necessary here, so let's go off the MIDDLE of the road "package".

For example, in the 4th gens, the Z28 was better than the 6-banger but less than the SS. Since it's all speculation (that I can see) as to how they are going to badge the 5th gen, just use that standard for our basis.

I'm looking for a factory freak to be able to break into the 12's on a perfect day, but your run-of-the-mill decently equipped daily driver (m6) being capable of 13.2's or so with a 1/4 tank and driver on street tires. So basically it leaves the top model (4th gen SS-equivalent) a consistant 12-second car that dips below 12.5 on a perfect day.

I don't think that's unreasonable, and if the LS3 is the standard...I'm probably shooting towards the SLOW end of the spectrum...but I'm just telling you what would make me happy.

Truth be told, if it's much faster than what I'm aiming for, the insurance is gonna suck and the idiots who can't drive will be killing themselves on a weekly basis.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
MerF
Go Rays!

Votes but no explanations! :(
Old 05-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
gurulu68

Drives: 68 camaro rs
I totally agree with you , There's alot of idiots out there who don't know how to handle a powerful car. I think a supercharged LS3 should get you into atleast the high 12's.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
MerF
Go Rays!

Supercharged? My God I'd hope it would get into the 11's, or there's somethign seriously wrong there. But I wasn't talking about what it could do with special aftermarket (or even factory-installed options). I'm talking about the middle-of-the-road "Z/28"-equivalent (in 4th-gen terms)...so I'm thinking that should be a mild LS3, naturally aspirated.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:35 AM   #5
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I would like to see a consistent high-12 second car. I think that if they keep the weight down near 4th gen levels and throw a LS3 in there, it is easily possible, even with IRS. The "base" V8, if there is one, should be right there with the 4th gen running a low 13. As long as there is an improvement over the 4th gen I'll be happy.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
Bait8
Balance

Drives: A torque-less wonder.
I would hope that the SS version would for sure be somewhere in the 12 second range. With the rumored horsepower it for sure would be.
Bait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:43 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
12.5 or lower. I know, I know...for some of you out there, you might be thinking I'm expecting too much. Let me explain it like this. There will be different versions, right? Well...my current 4th Gen you see below in my sig puts out approx 335hp. It has run a best of 12.88 (I've only gotten the chance to race it one night). You see the mods...nothing outstanding what-so-ever, right? My last Z28 had a best of 12.74. Only additions were a loud mouth and y-pipe along w/ the mods below. Now, with the 5th Gen, you are adding about 100hp. If what we hear is true, being that the hp levels will be right around 430, then it's going to be a heck of a lot quicker. And...GM will make the weight come in right. So, that's why I would expect the mid model to run that well. That is if they are going to make a top of the line SC version. Then, we are talking low 12's to upper 11's for sure. I expect the 5th Gen to be right at 12.5 if not a hair below.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
I'm still going with the 12.5 to 12.99. While I expect the IRS and tires to be better than the GTO, I bet it will still be a limiting factor on cutting those short times and traction in general.

Also, I believe GM will keep the Camaro from being too porky like the Challenger and GT500, but I still expect it to be in the 3700lb range which will take a little bit of the edge off that LS3.

So I guess consistent 12.7s with a driver that has handled a car a few times, but might not be a pro.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
JWz28

Drives: 2012 Z28 (I'm hoping)
What are the stock 400HP 6 liter GTO's running? I think that is where we should expect the 5th gen Camaro to be....maybe a couple tenths quicker.

If they come out with a SC version with 500HP I would expect high 11s / low 12s. Easy 11s with ET Streets for hook.

Just my 2¢.

JWz28.
JWz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
Bait8
Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
12.5 or lower. I know, I know...for some of you out there, you might be thinking I'm expecting too much. Let me explain it like this. There will be different versions, right? Well...my current 4th Gen you see below in my sig puts out approx 335hp. It has run a best of 12.88 (I've only gotten the chance to race it one night). You see the mods...nothing outstanding what-so-ever, right? My last Z28 had a best of 12.74. Only additions were a loud mouth and y-pipe along w/ the mods below. Now, with the 5th Gen, you are adding about 100hp. If what we hear is true, being that the hp levels will be right around 340, then it's going to be a heck of a lot quicker. And...GM will make the weight come in right. So, that's why I would expect the mid model to run that well. That is if they are going to make a top of the line SC version. Then, we are talking low 12's to upper 11's for sure. I expect the 5th Gen to be right at 12.5 if not a hair below.
I like the logic of this because of the comparison to the last models. I was wondering why you ran a 12.74 in your Z28 but a slower 12.88 in your SS? Unless I miss-understood something when I read it. I think it was like 335 hp for the SS but what was the HP rating for the Z28?

By the way, you have a fast freaking car and I love the plates ...Tag your it ...I ain't playing :( lol.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #11
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
The 6 liter GTOs barely broke 12 if they were lucky. The 4th Gen is as fast as it is due to the fact that it is nearly 50HP UNDERRATED. They wee making about 300 WHEEL horsepower. A LS3(identical to the Corvette) in a Camaro should get 360-380 to the ground, and that's on the conservative side. Given a 35-3600lb curb weight that should equal out somewhere in the high 12s depending on the driver.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait8 View Post
I like the logic of this because of the comparison to the last models. I was wondering why you ran a 12.74 in your Z28 but a slower 12.88 in your SS? Unless I miss-understood something when I read it. I think it was like 335 hp for the SS but what was the HP rating for the Z28?

By the way, you have a fast freaking car and I love the plates ...Tag your it ...I ain't playing :( lol.

Well...I've only been to the track once in the SS. I've been to the track in the Z28 numerous times. For a while there, 12.9 was the best time I could get in the Z28....then one day...BAM! I ran a 12.74 (it was at Super Chevy show - my first run and I broke out reeaaallly bad ...but I was happy as hell!). So, I'm SURE I can break a 12.88 in my SS. But, the only difference between the two Camaros were this....Z28 had a Loudmouth exhaust and SLP Y-pipe. SS has Dual/Dual exhaust and no aftermarket y-pipe. So, the exhaust on the SS might be a bit constrictive, resulting in a longer 1/4 mile run. Still, both of these were running flat 13's stock. I know the 5th Gen might weigh in a couple hundred pounds lighter, but I have the "faith."
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #13
MerF
Go Rays!

I like your thinking. WIth these posts, I am leaning a bit more towards a high-12s car then...but I will be stoked if a I can pull a low-13 withouth even trying in an M6.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Bait8
Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Well...I've only been to the track once in the SS. I've been to the track in the Z28 numerous times. For a while there, 12.9 was the best time I could get in the Z28....then one day...BAM! I ran a 12.74 (it was at Super Chevy show - my first run and I broke out reeaaallly bad ...but I was happy as hell!). So, I'm SURE I can break a 12.88 in my SS. But, the only difference between the two Camaros were this....Z28 had a Loudmouth exhaust and SLP Y-pipe. SS has Dual/Dual exhaust and no aftermarket y-pipe. So, the exhaust on the SS might be a bit constrictive, resulting in a longer 1/4 mile run. Still, both of these were running flat 13's stock. I know the 5th Gen might weigh in a couple hundred pounds lighter, but I have the "faith."
Interesting, I always thought that there was a bigger difference. Live and learn, I never owned the 4th gen. So there wasn't much of a HP difference either then I am guessing, only what the different exhaust and y-pipe would change. Just a question, what would you consider the best case scenario once the new 5th gens come out? within reason of course... about high 12's then right?

Car statistics sights are saying that the 1998 Camaro is a 13.9 second car on the 1/4 mile.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" - James Dean