Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
[KRPT]ECP
Professional Lurker

Drives: '97 LeSabre
so I'm driving a renter while my car is in the shop

my car is currently in the shop to fix some damage from some idiot hitting it, and I have a '08 toyota Corolla for the renter...
I always hear great things about how toyota has quality and dependability, but do people really enjoy driving these things? the whole car just feels completely numb to me, there is no feel to it while driving, I could be going 5 or 60 and can't tell by the feel of the car's speed, the brakes have no resistance to them so you have to guess where the hard stop and just light braking is, and worst of all, feathering the accelerator is enough to make it go 40... I gotta know, is this what people really rave about when they speak so highly of toyota's quality and drive-ability? to be honest, this has cemented my decision to never buy an import to the point of no return.

sorry for the rant, it just confuses me when I hear such great things about a car all the time and then can't find a single thing I like about it.
[KRPT]ECP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
kunkelz28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
My buddy bought a brand new Corolla and he loves it, I was sober driving for him one night and I had to drive his car and you are right the corolla is a POS. They talk up the MPG for these little cars but they don't get better than my Grand Prix GTP, i dont understand why people buy them
kunkelz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
diddiyo

Drives: .
well, in the last six months i had a corolla, an impala and a v6 mustang as a rental. the impala was the worst of them all. but that doesn't really mean a lot since pretty much all of them were crap.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Besides the power steering problems, brake problems, paint problems, interior problems, window recalls, and oil burning corolla's are really reliable from what I've heard...

Not to mention that stellar real world 29 combined mpg..
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Japanese cars, by and large, have always been soul-less econoboxes. Don't expect it to change. The reason people like them is because most people aren't like us. They want something that does nothing more than get them from point A to point B. If it does it using less gas, or does it in mild comfort, and isolates them completely from the real world outside, they love it.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Beamer
N00B

Drives: 07 Cobalt SS/SC-Toy | 97Cavalier-DD
Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
Last year I had a brand new Corolla as my rental when my car at the time was in the shop. It was eh, nothing great at all, definitely a car for grandma or person who doesn't car about what they have as long as it gets them where they need to be. I well say the mileage was awesome though, not great but I got it with a full tank, drove it a like 3 days, hammered(if you can really say that with this car) mutliple times and when I took it back to get my car back the needle barely moved, I drove it 100mi's I think during that time. Cannot say that with my SS/SC, its usually between 1/2 and full by the time I get to 100 miles on the tank if not at 1/2, than again I am pushing much more air and power so yea haha.

My g/f has an '01 corolla, freaking POS! BUT, it has 145K or more on it and its never had a single problem, not one. She got it from her sister who bought it w/ 61K, by the time the g/f had it, it had 114K or so. Car was pretty much neglected, my women drove it for almost a freakin year without giving it an oil change and it never faultered and when I finally remembered and got to changing it there was maybe 1 quart or alittle more of oil that came out. I was amazed that the car has lasted, if it was something else it probably would of went boom or something with the way she takes care of and drives it so I won't complain about them though I cannot stand Toyota.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
80+% of the people never read a car magazine beyond Consumer Reports auto special.

They buy a car and expect it to be comfortable and quiet and in as smooth a way as possible get them from their home to work to the grocery store. Toyota's basically rock at being a commuting-appliance.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
[KRPT]ECP
Professional Lurker

that clears things up a bit, I had been wondering if I'd gotten a lemon or something as it seriously had no plus side for me at all... I only got a little better gas mileage than my buick lesabre (though i tend to have a lead foot, so that may not mean much) and after a full day of delivering in it, with the seat in the regular up right position... I have a sore back. yay toyota!
Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KRPT]ECP View Post
that clears things up a bit, I had been wondering if I'd gotten a lemon or something as it seriously had no plus side for me at all... I only got a little better gas mileage than my buick lesabre (though i tend to have a lead foot, so that may not mean much) and after a full day of delivering in it, with the seat in the regular up right position... I have a sore back. yay toyota!
You must of had a lemon because everybody knows that all Japanese cars (Toyota's in particular) are superior in every way to any other car. Anyone or anything that says otherwise is biased and/or doesn't know what they're talking about. I believe I read that Consumer Reports is trusted as the least biased publication out there, according to a survey conducted by Consumer Reports.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
You must of had a lemon because everybody knows that all Japanese cars (Toyota's in particular) are superior in every way to any other car. Anyone or anything that says otherwise is biased and/or doesn't know what they're talking about. I believe I read that Consumer Reports is trusted as the least biased publication out there, according to a survey conducted by Consumer Reports.
LOL, wow
Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
LOL, wow
What? If you disagree with what I said, well you're either biased or you don't know what you're talking about.

After writing all that, there's something I've gotta do.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #12
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KRPT]ECP View Post
I won't say i've driven a ton of cars, but i've never driven a more comfortable car than either of my buicks.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 AM   #13
[KRPT]ECP
Professional Lurker

yeah, one of the biggest things I like about my current car is the comfort. I'm delivering pizza till I graduate and get a better job so for me, comfort is a huge factor when I spend 8+ hours a day behind the wheel. mileage is important too, but it's hard to choose mileage over comfort to such a degree that I can hardly stand driving the car when I have to drive it so much. the only car I've driven that's even come close to the buick in comfort is a dodge stratus, and the toyota... eh... I'll take cancer over having that as a daily driver, thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #14
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
haha, I deliver pizza's too so i know what you're talking about. My grand am isn't too bad, but i still miss the buick.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote