Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
DarinU

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Pop the bubble and do it. I swtiched from 600 hp C6 to my ZL1 and have not really missed it a bit. I had wanted a Vette for 30 years and when i got rid of it i thought it might be a mistake. But when i have someone pull up next to me or get flaggd down by someone in a parking lot to complement the car it reinforces that I mad the right choice.
I do have issues like no memory seats side windows are high and short. Being 6 feet tall if I wear a hat it rubs the roof and visibility is big deal at first but once u learn to use side mirrors and pass nger side rear window its reall not an issue at all. The clearance really isn't that much of an issue unless u have a really steep driveway to make it in or out.
DarinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Hey, I'll bet the low clearance is why they make those super splitter protectors. I have those on mine and don't have to worry about scraping the front of the car. I totally agree with all the others in this thread that said the car is absolutely super and worth a few minor things happening.
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinU View Post
once u learn to use side mirrors and pass nger side rear window its reall not an issue at all.
This is exactly it. Set the mirrors high and wider than you're used to and then get used to it and its just awesome to drive.

Let me sort if paraphrase Ferris Bueller, "The car is so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up."
Old 08-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #18
IndyZL1

Drives: '13 AGM ZL1
I'm 6'7" and fit surprisingly well. I have long legs and shorter torso - I have about 1.5 - 2 inches between my head and the roof. Should be just enough room for a helmet. I went NO Sunroof just to make sure. And of course seat is all the way back and down, and somewhat reclined, but very comfortable for driving.

Zero regrets on the car after 3 weeks and 1200 miles. Can't wait to rack up some more road time! Every time I start it in the garage, I get perma-grin until I shut it off!
IndyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
davej

Drives: 2013 Silver Ice ZL1
I’m 6’7” 280 lbs. Plus I have an arthritic back which limits lateral motion. This is the first car I have owned where I don’t have to put the seat all the way back. So far I’m very comfortable in it and would like to try a long trip if it will ever quit raining. Visibility is poor and if you stop too close to traffic lights hard to tell when light turns green. As far as being low to the ground, well it is made to be a race car so just be mindful of that fact and be careful. However, all the negatives one can find in the ZL1 are minimal when you compare them to the positives. What an awesome car. You will not be disappointed. Hope this helps in your decision process
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
A dealer by me has a BRM 'vert ,had it all Summer . I would LOVE to get it,but $60k is a bit to swollow.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
By the way, you need to remember (as far as ground clearance goes) that as low as the front splitter is, UNDERNEATH the front splitter on each corner is an additional winglet (that the dealer was supposed to install as part of PDI) that hangs down an additional 1 1/2 inches.
DAMHIKT.

If neccessary, they can be unbolted and removed.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #22
Sugar's ZL1
Ron and Sugar

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1 Vert A6
Never had the chance to build a 1932-40 hotrod with all the carbs, etc.
Too busy making films.
Then I found out about the ZL1.
Holy Cow! It's a "store bought" hot rod!
@too tall It's a no brainer!

@jessrayo There are hills in Ardmore??

I Love My 08 Pek a Poo
Sugar's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
z28man2

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Coupe IOM
Quote:
A dealer by me has a BRM 'vert ,had it all Summer . I would LOVE to get it,but $60k is a bit to swollow.
If i would be you i would think about it. Its a lot of money for one of these & i dont think the quality is that great. IMOO

Do more research on them & you will find issues at hand.
z28man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28man2 View Post
If i would be you i would think about it. Its a lot of money for one of these & i dont think the quality is that great. IMOO

Do more research on them & you will find issues at hand.
Well,I could swing it,but its too much . I'd rather pay off my 1LT .
Old 08-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by too tall View Post
I test drove an SS NA 620 with a sunroof and liked the car well enough but I'm tall ( 6'8") and I can drive one without a sunroof comfortably. The 6.2 is pretty darn great but I found a ZL1 with no sunroof and in my color yee haw.
I've got a few concerns and they are not minor. Considering this is an amazing car and I love my chevy's I'll take a go slow approach and not make an impulse buy so guys help me!!!

Front ground clearance is scarey or appears so. Can you fellahs with ZL1s comment?

Visibility for a tall guy is lousy. That's the way it is for everyone or is it alot worse for tall drivers and just live with it?

I'm not a corvette guy so there's that and I'd rather claw an eye out slowly than buy a ferd. No offense to Mustang owners, it's just not my cup of tea.

TIA for your comments
Visibilty is not awesome but no worse than my Z06 was. ground clearnce I find to be not an issue coming from my Z06 but is less than say our 300C was.

ground clearance has much to do with a facia I made my mustang a PITA with a spliter. as long as your conscience of it I have no issue.

if your not a ford or a corvette guy to me it is a no brainer.

the real question to ask yourself is are the looks/handling of the car enough better than a CTS-v to live with the downsdies (ie headroom, ground clearance)

if we had to live with two car I would have picked the CTS-V but since this is my third car the ZL1 made sense to me.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #26
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar's ZL1 View Post

@jessrayo There are hills in Ardmore??
It is not so much hills as the driveways and yards are on higher ground so when the tornados come through the streets flood and not the homes. But since you mentioned it we at least have the Arbuckle mountain about 20 miles form Ardmore.... I think you would have to go to El Paso to find a hill that big in Texas....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote