Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Will the 2.9L Whipple Sustain My Engine?

Hello, I'm looking into buying a forged long block and was going to either go TT or Whipple on it, the engine I purchase will be between 6-6.6L and I'm looking to make about 750bhp-850bhp (running straight 91 octane), so I'm wondering if a normal 2.9L whipple will flow enough air to support these goals, or will I have to bump up to a larger one? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
750, yes. 850, no. I'm sure 850's been done, but it gets stupid expensive compared to a something like a YSI centri. A YSI, spinning fast enough to do 850, is going to be strong on the bottom end too. Also, a couple of turbos would be a better option at 850.....at least that's the way I see it. Unless you build a low compression motor or run race gas, you'll probably need meth too. Meth works really well with a centri or turbo....not so much with p/d blowers.

Love my p/d blowers. Wouldn't have anything else at milder power levels. Not the best option at the upper end of your power goals though.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Whipple would be fine at 750 rwhp, anything more I would say turbo.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
I just noticed he said bhp, not whp. Yeah it'll do 850bhp, that's like 700-725whp.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
750, yes. 850, no. I'm sure 850's been done, but it gets stupid expensive compared to a something like a YSI centri. A YSI, spinning fast enough to do 850, is going to be strong on the bottom end too. Also, a couple of turbos would be a better option at 850.....at least that's the way I see it. Unless you build a low compression motor or run race gas, you'll probably need meth too. Meth works really well with a centri or turbo....not so much with p/d blowers.

Love my p/d blowers. Wouldn't have anything else at milder power levels. Not the best option at the upper end of your power goals though.
why is it expensive? A YSI kit and a Whipple kit should both cost the same, both will need lower compression motors to make that much power on straight 91 octane unless the OP uses meth then he can get away with higher compression.

we just easily made 820rwhp through a 9.5:1 CR 416 built motor, 93 octane + meth using a whipple 2.9

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm talking to the guys at TSP and they're saying that my goals should be pretty easy to achieve with either route. Probably going to go with a 402 CI LS2.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrigdan View Post
Hello, I'm looking into buying a forged long block and was going to either go TT or Whipple on it, the engine I purchase will be between 6-6.6L and I'm looking to make about 750bhp-850bhp (running straight 91 octane), so I'm wondering if a normal 2.9L whipple will flow enough air to support these goals, or will I have to bump up to a larger one? Thanks!
Yes No Problem, the Whipple is a Solid Performer at this Power level.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
why is it expensive? A YSI kit and a Whipple kit should both cost the same, both will need lower compression motors to make that much power on straight 91 octane unless the OP uses meth then he can get away with higher compression.

we just easily made 820rwhp through a 9.5:1 CR 416 built motor, 93 octane + meth using a whipple 2.9
I missed the part about brake hp. My coments were based on wheel hp. At 850 wheel, you'll probably need a bigger throttle body that the centri or turbo doesn't need. IAT's are going to be tough to control. Meth won't help much. Maybe it's OK for a quick dyno run, but anything more than a few seconds at WOT and IAT's are going to limit you somewhat. Probably need upgraded h/e, reservoir, and coolant pump too. Don't know what the drive options are for centri's vs p/d. I'm pretty sure the drive options for turbos aren't problematic

Again, not saying it can't or shouldn't be done.....just not the way I would choose to do it.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Like OMH said, yes it can be done. Upgrade to 8-10 rib drive, big headers, healthy cam, HE, pump, etc.

Or bolt on a TT kit for 2/3 the cost or less, and have something that will make 600-1000rwhp no issue without all those added expenses, IAT issues, etc.

Tags
supercharger