Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
bigralph

Drives: 2001 v6 Camaro
Chrysler's plan to beat the Chevy Volt

Chrysler's plan to beat the Chevy Volt
Electric vehicles are a "big deal" for Chrysler, executive says in an exclusive interview.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/15/auto...ion=2008121513

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Chrysler is pinning a huge part of its future on a plan to produce a full line of electric vehicles, at a reasonable cost to both the carmaker and the consumer.

While General Motors is moving ahead with its Volt electric midsized car, Chrysler says it already has plans in place, not just for electric cars, but also for minivans and even off-road vehicles.

Chrysler's strategy hinges on keeping it cheap. The carmaker will dispense with flashy designs in exchange for low cost and flexibility. And it plans to pile on more electric-powered models quickly once the program launches in 2010.

"We aren't a one-electric-vehicle company," Lou Rhodes, Chrysler's vice president for advanced vehicle engineering, told CNNMoney in an exclusive interview.

Rhodes is also president of Chrysler's ENVI, a separate business division tasked with bringing new electric vehicles to market.

Instead of making one, or just a few, electric-only models, Chrysler will sell the same models in both gasoline-powered and electric-powered versions. This low-cost, high-variety electric-vehicle strategy will play a big part in any comeback plan Chrysler may present in hopes of getting government rescue funding.

Chrysler's strategy substantially cuts costs, Rhodes said, and it reduces the risk of entering uncharted market territory. That will translate into lower costs and more choices for customers.

If gas prices stay low, Chrysler factories will produce more gasoline powered models. If gas prices rise, factories can start rapidly turning out more electric cars since the models are essentially the same.

Chrysler's first electric vehicles will be based on current vehicles. The carmaker hasn't yet announced what the first model will be but, based on prototypes Chrysler revealed in September, it will likely be a minivan, a Jeep Wrangler 4X4 or a 2-seat sports car built in a Lotus body.

At least some of Chrysler's products will be extended-range electric vehicles, like GM (GM, Fortune 500)'s Volt. Because the car's body will not have been designed around optimal weight and aerodynamics, the Chrysler vehicle will need a more powerful electric drive system to provide performance similar to the Volt's. For instance, Chrysler promises the same 40-mile all-electric plug-in range as the Volt. (After that, a small gasoline engine will start up to produce more electricity as the car drives.) But the heavier Jeep prototype has a 27-kilowatt-hour (KwH) battery back compared to the Volt's 16 KwH pack.

Round two
Chrysler's second-generation electric vehicles, which the carmaker plans to start rolling out between 2012 and 2015, will be engineered from the wheels up to use either gasoline or electric power.

No matter which drivetrain the customer chooses, the vehicles will not be compromised, Rhodes insists.

"If you know what you want to achieve up front, you can certainly design that flexibility in up front," he said.

Electric cars will not have useless transmission tunnels running along the center of the floor, he said. If a rear-wheel-drive gasoline car needs that, a different floor will be used when that version is built.

The electric power systems are also being engineered for maximum flexibility, Rhodes said. Bigger, heavier vehicles take more power to move, whether that power is from gasoline or batteries. For gasoline-powered cars, engineers have to design larger and smaller engines for different uses. A small Jeep Compass, for instance, gets a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine while a Jeep Commander SUV can come equipped with a 5.7-liter V8 engine.

But what if going to a larger engine was as simple as just plugging in more cylinders? Chrysler's electric drivetrains will work something like that. To hold more battery power, larger vehicles will simply get more battery cells. The cells themselves will be exactly the same whether in large or small vehicles. That's important because batteries are the biggest expense of creating an electric car.

"The real economy is in the cells," said Rhodes.

Likewise, the electric motor will be the same. It will just be up-sized for bigger jobs.

"All we change is the length of the rotor and the number of windings to span between different power outputs," Rhodes said.

Even the housing that goes around the motor will be same regardless of the size of the motor . The magnesium housing will be so lightweight that it simply won't be worth the added cost of creating smaller housings for the downsized motors, Rhodes said.

Electric cars aren't just a side-show or a public relations move for Chrysler, Rhodes insists, but a major strategic move. Through its GEM (Global Electric Motorcars) subsidiary, Chrysler already claims to be the largest seller of electric vehicles in the U.S. But those are so-called "Neighborhood Electric Vehicles," ultra-light cars with a top speed limited to 25 miles per hour. Chrysler claims sales of 40,000 GEM cars over the last 10 years. With its new plan, Chrysler plans to produce over 500,000 electric vehicles by 2013.

"This is going to be a big deal for Chrysler," he said.
bigralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
str8himalaya
A lot to learn!

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
I would like to see what the business plan is for this? I am under the impression that GM is light years ahead of everyone else in this little sector right now. Chrysler is using someone elses cars, and i believe GM made there own. I would also like to see how they are going to keep costs affordable. Its a good start though, because this is what congress is looking for. I'm not a huge fan, i like the big V8's, but more money, means more stuff for us! Just MVHO of course.

Current Mods:
-Spectre CAI
-Straight piped
-Power Wedge
str8himalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Chrylser plans on being cheap? How weird and unnatural for them.

*snicker*

Seriously though, this goes right with the same thinking we have with our muscle cars...competition is good for us consumers.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I genuinely don't think that Chrysler could be working as hard as GM on alternative fuels. GM has really led the market. I'm rooting for Chrysler to beat the imports, but they simply won't match GM's dedication.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
ddennis

Drives: 1978 Z28, 2003 & 2007 Z71,
Chrysler's first extended-range electric car could be a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited like this. Chrysler promises that it will be fully off-road capable.

Does anyone really want a off- road electric vehicle
ddennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis View Post
Chrysler's first extended-range electric car could be a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited like this. Chrysler promises that it will be fully off-road capable.

Does anyone really want a off- road electric vehicle
Electric motors are a hella lot more powerful than internal combustion engines. You could get some serious torque out of such a thing. If they weren't so expensive I would want one for the winter when I'm not driving my Camaro.

But it better be a GM product.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Electric motors are a hella lot more powerful than internal combustion engines. You could get some serious torque out of such a thing. If they weren't so expensive I would want one for the winter when I'm not driving my Camaro.

But it better be a GM product.
Electric motors are capable of producing so much more torque right at the throttle unlike an internal combustion engine where the energy must endure travel. They are damn expensive to make, though. But so are all things where the technology is in its genesis stages.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
You could get some serious torque out of such a thing.
In my off-roading adventures, I was rarely thinking "if only I had more torque I could have made it up this terrain. About 70% of the time it was traction, 20% of the time it was "will my truck drown", 6% of the time it was "will I flip" and the last 4% of the time it was "there's not enough torque to pull me up this incline when all other conditions are met".

Not to mention the slight aversion to water that electric motors DON'T have.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
no need to trash chrysler ....this article has the wrong title...it should be titled..

how chrysler and gm will lead the way

not competing against each other.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
GM does all the electric work adn then Chrysler uses that technology.

Hell, I could care less...as long as the big three themselves stay afloat and beat out all other competition in this country. Let's kick the imports to the curb!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
In my off-roading adventures, I was rarely thinking "if only I had more torque I could have made it up this terrain. About 70% of the time it was traction, 20% of the time it was "will my truck drown", 6% of the time it was "will I flip" and the last 4% of the time it was "there's not enough torque to pull me up this incline when all other conditions are met".

Not to mention the slight aversion to water that electric motors DON'T have.
The thing is that an electric off-road vehicle would have a motor on each wheel hub, and each one would have 100% of it's power available from 0 RPM to full speed. The idea of "traction" being important is where this becomes critical. Each wheel will be able to sense slippage and reduce speed to maintain maximum traction while simultaneously the power to each wheel can be applied in a controlled manner by the computer so that each wheel's torque is increased or decreased in a smooth manner to avoid "breaking loose". If you think of the way you apply the clutch to a internal combustion car slowly and gradually to avoid spinning the tires and then translate that into individual control like that for each wheel automatically by the computer then you can see where an electric offroad vehicle would be awesome!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote