Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Updating a car

Hi has anyone totally Revamped a car, I mean everything powertrain-wise?

When I saw that new Chevrolet Volt, it got me thinking; I WANT the Camaro, but what if gasoline actually does go away? I wonder if I could refit the Camaro o be an electric car? I know that no one has done this specific application, but I was wondering how hard it is to drop a new engine into a car, having never done this myself.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
WMCC Doug
Camaro for life

Drives: 2002 Hot Rod Magazine Ltd. Ed.
That an interesting project, Dragoneye.

I thought the Chevrolet Volt was the most significant concept car at the NAIAS. I think it's a very important car for GM's future success. I even liked the styling quite a lot. It's not a good looking as the Camaro, but it's still pretty nice.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
WMCC Doug
Camaro for life

Drives: 2002 Hot Rod Magazine Ltd. Ed.
Dragoneye,

On a similar note about changing an entire drive train, one of our Club members is swaping an LS1 and a 6-speed into a 1985 IROC-Z. It's an interesting swap, and he's doing a fantastic job. Here's a link to the project. There are a lot of posts, but take the time to brouse through the whole thread, I think you'll be very impressed.

http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6202
Old 02-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
My guess is that it can be done..... but at what cost would be the question. I mean you can do anything with enough money. My guess is that it would be a very very difficult project as the mechanics are different in just about every part of the car, not just the motor itself.

I can guarantee it would not be just a simple as swapping an LT1 for an LS2.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
WMCC Gary
Camaro Addict

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMCC Doug View Post
Dragoneye,

On a similar note about changing an entire drive train, one of our Club members is swaping an LS1 and a 6-speed into a 1985 IROC-Z. It's an interesting swap, and he's doing a fantastic job. Here's a link to the project. There are a lot of posts, but take the time to brouse through the whole thread, I think you'll be very impressed.

http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6202
James has done an Awesome job with the swap. James.
WMCC Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Sure it can be done. I've seen some crazy stuff. Remember that changing out an engine and drivetrain consists of more than just those two basic parts. I think you know what I mean. Stepping up the engine, etc, also means changing out many more little parts,...ratiator, etc. So, if you're going to do the swap, be prepared to do all the little things that are unexpected.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Thanks for the input guys,
I think I can do it, it's just...I'm looking way into the future-I want to keep this car for many many many years to come, and especially now thats going to mean keeping up with the times, and so I was toying with the Idea of completely scraping the internal combustion powerhouse, for an electric one when the time comes. I love the way this Camaro looks, thats why.

Personally I hope the ethanol Idea picks up because I don't know if I could live happily without an exhaust note coming out of my Camaro.......
Old 02-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I think I can do it, it's just...I'm looking way into the future-I want to keep this car for many many many years to come, and especially now thats going to mean keeping up with the times, and so I was toying with the Idea of completely scraping the internal combustion powerhouse, for an electric one when the time comes. I love the way this Camaro looks, thats why.

Personally I hope the ethanol Idea picks up because I don't know if I could live happily without an exhaust note coming out of my Camaro.......
I really think ethanol and/or bio-diesel are the two most feasible options right now. I don't think electric will become the primary technology just becasue of its cost/performance ratio. I would say that we will be ok for the forseeable future.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Also, most everything I have read has stated that fossil fuels are not going to run out in our lifetime. You'll have plenty of time with your new baby... Just remember, if you have the time and money anything can be accomplished.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #10
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Also, most everything I have read has stated that fossil fuels are not going to run out in our lifetime. You'll have plenty of time with your new baby... Just remember, if you have the time and money anything can be accomplished.
If consumption continues at the same rate or with an annual increase of some %? I thought that I had heard that if consumption continues at the average of a 3% increase each year then we will run out in 80 years assuming no new deposits are found.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #11
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
If consumption continues at the same rate or with an annual increase of some %? I thought that I had heard that if consumption continues at the average of a 3% increase each year then we will run out in 80 years assuming no new deposits are found.
I guess it all depends on who your listening to...

I'll be 111 in 80 years...:Oldsmileywithwalker:
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Don't forget, Chevron just did some deep ocean oil drilling in the gulf...first time it's ever been accomplished. If they can secure the drilling method to be successful, we will find ourselves w/ many more years of oil.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:30 AM   #13
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Dragoneye, first, I don't think you have to worry about the end of fossil fuels. At least in our lifetime.

But. Speaking hypothetically, if we did, and you wanted to "revamp" your Camaro, IMO, I think it'd be way too much effort and cost way too much money to be practical.

Besides the enormous cost, there are many other issues, ie; cars built as "electric cars" are engineered that way from the start. The new Camaro for example, weighs way too much to be "revamped" to an electric car. Unless the factory chooses to build an electric Camaro, IMO, the cost for an individual to "revamp" would be too much.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
Calvinball

Drives: 98 Grand Prix GTP, 99 Camaro
Ethanol is not a good solution.

it almost, if not does, take more energy to produce it than it itself produces. I read an article a while back, forget what magazine, where the main areas of supposed improvement (environment, costs, oil dependence, etc) were mathematically analyzed, and there was less than a 2% increase in all categories with ethanol being used as it is.
Calvinball is offline   Reply With Quote