Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
AdamCzap

Drives: 18 zl1, 17 sierra denali
Hellion Twin Turbo L99 Install Photos + Results + Reviews

Brought my car to the fine gentlemen at Walsh Motorsports to install the Hellion Twin Turbo kit on my 2010 Camaro SS. I have the L99 automatic. The car is going to be tuned on Monday and ready to go! DYNO RESULTS COMING SOON - HOPEFULLY MONDAY OR TUESDAY!

Props to Hellion: from the first time I picked up the phone and called Jeff and the guys at Hellion, I was blown away by their responsiveness to my admittedly n00b questions and concerns. They guided me through the entire process and were VERY flexible with my wishy-washy nature on what upgrades I wanted. Most of the available TT kits produce very similar power, have great reliability, and an excellent fit and finish. I simply found Hellion to be the best value and they won me over with their excellent service. Upon arrival of the kit I inspected everything and found the kit to be expertly packed.. definitely no way anything would ever break in shipping.

Props to Walsh Motorsports: after trying multiple times to get in touch with another well known shop in my area and being put on hold for 20 minutes on more than one occasion, not having my voice messages or emails returned promptly, and then finally being quoted a ridiculous price for install (30-50 hours... WHAT?!?!), I gave up and asked Hellion who to call. They recommended these guys. If you live in southeast Michigan or are willing to send your car up here, these guys can do just about anything and their labor rates are really low. PM me and I can provide details.

mods before install/tune:
-Kooks 1 3/4" LT headers
-CAI Inc. cold air intake
-Livernois Motorsports dyno tune
-noweeds.net exhaust diverters

mods after install/tune:
-no more headers
-no more CAI
-kept noweeds diverters
-new tune from Walsh
-added KB boost a pump
-TT's @ 6lbs boost (i think!)

Hellion twin turbo kit includes:
-Twin 61mm Turbonetics Turbochargers (1 year unconditional warranty on the turbos)
-All stainless steel construction (lifetime warranty)
-Twin Turbosmart wastegates
-Turbosmart blow off valve
-I didn't get the hand-held tuner in favor of a custom tune from Walsh = discount
-52 lb ZR1 injectors

I believe shipping was around $175 from NM to MI.

Video underneath BEFORE install:

Video underneath AFTER install:
Attached Images

AdamCzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
futrocpd
P90X

Drives: 2000 SLP SS VERT
nice, congrats.

P90X changed my life. Want to know more, PM me for more info on changing your life for the better
futrocpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
NewGen

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Send a message via AIM to NewGen Send a message via MSN to NewGen
Waitn to see the numbers
Old 10-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
You made a good choice to get it tuned locally instead of using Hellion's tune. Their tunes are ultra conservative and I don't blame them for doing so since there are so many variables from car to car. As for the Hellion kit, the one I installed on my 2010 Challenger was absolutely top quality, and I had no fitment issues with the the install. Also, as you have already said the customer service is top notch. Good luck with the numbers (can't wait to see them) and be careful driving... these turbo cars are beasts!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Your tuner needs to be careful with the cutouts. When they get opened, your car will spool much faster and the boost will start earlier than when it's closed, therefore, if your tune was made for closed cutout and you open them, you will lean out at the time that was not considering for the boost to come on.

Even an extra pound of boost can cause you problem if it's not accounted for.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
AdamCzap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Your tuner needs to be careful with the cutouts. When they get opened, your car will spool much faster and the boost will start earlier than when it's closed, therefore, if your tune was made for closed cutout and you open them, you will lean out at the time that was not considering for the boost to come on.

Even an extra pound of boost can cause you problem if it's not accounted for.
What? Are you sure about this? Can you support this claim? My cut outs are after the turbos, not before..
Old 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCzap View Post
My cut outs are after the turbos, not before..
Right, which means when the cutouts are opened, there will be less back pressure on the hot side and the exhaust side will spin faster, since there is no restriction due to open cutouts, and consequently, the cold side of the turbine will spin faster too and the boost delivery will take place much earlier than if you had them closed.

I'm not making any claim, I'm just giving you food for thought and not trying to challenge you or your tuner. So you can take it as some valuable info or ignore it.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
AdamCzap

Thanks for explaining. I'm sure they probably know that already but I will make sure I mention it Monday morning. What is the worst case scenario if this happens NOT the way it should?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
sexy
lil_red_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCzap View Post
Thanks for explaining. I'm sure they probably know that already but I will make sure I mention it Monday morning. What is the worst case scenario if this happens NOT the way it should?
Personally, I don't like setups that could affect the tune, i.e. cutouts or changing WG springs without having proper tune to respond to these changes.

Please keep in mind that what I was saying is the Boost Delivery Timing in open or close cases. They need to take to consideration and tune accordingly (via watching the boost delivery) that when the cutouts are opened, you boost earlier in your RPM than when it's closed. Earlier boost, means more air earlier than was anticipated and you could lean out and blow the engine or cause ring damage due to excessive heat. They need to supply more fuel earlier when the cutouts are open.

You would not have experience this issue when your car was N/A, this is only related to TT and cutouts.

And you're going to hear those turbos spin and boost like a jet engine Trust me, I've been there...

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
radarwz
Boost All the Time!

Drives: 2005 pontiac GTO Twin Turbo
Twin turbo's are the best FI period. I've had mine for over 2 yrs. Watch your boost...it's addictive. Start saving for a forged motor. You'll need it. lol

'56 Chev 3100 p/u Black, 400 v8 3spd on the tree.
!
radarwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
I am probably WAY off base here because I do not know what sensors they are relying on for your tune, but we use kPa pressure in the manifold and A/F (O2) for closed loop feedback as the primary sensors so you can pretty much do anything in the system before or after and the computer compensates.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
cutouts are something you move on from after a while. Been there.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #14
2010BumbleBee

Drives: 2010 2SS RS A6
I've been eyeballing this system for a while,can't wait to see some numbers.
2010BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote