Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
A good morning gone bad

Well, some of you that frequently check the forum might have seen that I had a couple threads up with videos of my engine running inquiring about a sound it was making. The consensus at the end was that it was not a lifter, that it was either normal or possibly due to too much oil put in it at my last change.

When I had sent the picture to my dealer, they believe it is likely an exhaust leak and that they don't think it is a lifter as it would be much louder if it was. Well, it was really loud yesterday when I cold cranked it at lunch so I decided this morning to head up to Georgia to take it to the dealer I got it from.

In person they said they thought it was an exhaust leak but would get it on the lift and check. I went to go get McDonalds around the corner (the dealer asked me if I wanted the keys to something to drive over to it. I debated asking to borrow the Red Z06 out front but decided it was walking distance ). I got back and am told that they are pretty sure it's a lifter on the drive side bank. They said they would get into the engine to be sure and if it is, they would replace it. I believe he said it may just not be tightened down as it should. It was also mentioned they may be told to replace all of the lifters. I'm not able to pick the car up tomorrow due to work so I wont have her back until Saturday. I'm stuck driving an 09 Impala until then :(
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Bad news, good luck, and i hope every thing gets done properly.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey the good news is that they are fixing everything. I know it is a hassle to deal with driving the loaner and not have your car but it's definitely worth it.

Good luck man!

Should have asked for that Z06!!
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
NoleLife

I'm definitely thankful for Warranty coverage and being able to have a loaner for sure but I still had to take sick-leave (granted, I have a metric ton of it) to drive the 45min there, wait, and come back. I had to pay for the gas to get there in my car (and coming back when I pick it up) as well as the gas from/to in the loaner.

That's small potatoes though. My BIG concern is, if a lifter is having issues on a car with 5,800 miles on it then who knows what will go wrong on it in the future :(
Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
If it is indeed a lifter, you'll be without your car for about 5-7 days. Ask me how I know...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Definitely get the Z06, I mean come on, I have to take mine in shortly and if they have to keep it, that's only fair right, I mean I still have to go to the drag strips on Thursdays
Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
This is the same thing I am going thru but unfortunately they haven't yet found which was bad, so I have to take it back in when it starts to make noise again.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
NoleLife

The mechanic said they looked at it and there doesn't seem to be any damage at all. And that he thinks that it just wasn't pushing all the way up like it should. So I'm not entirely sure what they are replacing, or doing to fix it.... but he said they are waiting on the gasket to get in tomorrow morning and it will be around lunch when I can pick it up. I guess Ill figure out then if its fixed or not.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleLife View Post
Well, some of you that frequently check the forum might have seen that I had a couple threads up with videos of my engine running inquiring about a sound it was making. The consensus at the end was that it was not a lifter, that it was either normal or possibly due to too much oil put in it at my last change.

When I had sent the picture to my dealer, they believe it is likely an exhaust leak and that they don't think it is a lifter as it would be much louder if it was. Well, it was really loud yesterday when I cold cranked it at lunch so I decided this morning to head up to Georgia to take it to the dealer I got it from.

In person they said they thought it was an exhaust leak but would get it on the lift and check. I went to go get McDonalds around the corner (the dealer asked me if I wanted the keys to something to drive over to it. I debated asking to borrow the Red Z06 out front but decided it was walking distance ). I got back and am told that they are pretty sure it's a lifter on the drive side bank. They said they would get into the engine to be sure and if it is, they would replace it. I believe he said it may just not be tightened down as it should. It was also mentioned they may be told to replace all of the lifters. I'm not able to pick the car up tomorrow due to work so I wont have her back until Saturday. I'm stuck driving an 09 Impala until then :(

Hello NoleLife,

Sorry you're having this issue with your Camaro and will be without it for a couple of days. I see your vehicle is at the dealer already which is great. I can contact your dealer tomorrow for you to check the status and see if it will be ready for you Monday if you like? Let me know, here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last edited by Chevrolet Customer Svc; 05-02-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Tightening the lifters?? lol Maybe tightening the rockers or check the rocker's pedestal(which is held by the rocker)...

Good luck!

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
NoleLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
Tightening the lifters?? lol Maybe tightening the rockers or check the rocker's pedestal(which is held by the rocker)...

Good luck!

As I typed it I thought "that doesn't sound right" but I had a hard time hearing the guy. I know in a sentence the word lifter, and tighten, were used. But you are probably right haha.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
NoleLife

I appreciate it! But I got her back and the sound seems to be gone! The engine actually hums nicely now and all "suspect" noise is gone. They got it apart yesterday, and had lifters in stock, but were waiting on a gasket to get there this morning to put it back together. It was lifter #5 that was an issue. I have the paperwork in my car and can post more details later on if anyone is curious.

As a side note -- not sure if this is something you can pass along to anyone useful at Chevrolet Corp. but Spence Chevrolet in Thomasville Georgia is an outstanding dealership. Couldn't be happier with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post

Hello NoleLife,

Sorry you're having this issue with your Camaro and will be without it for a couple of days. I see your vehicle is at the dealer already which is great. I can contact your dealer tomorrow for you to check the status and see if it will be ready for you Monday if you like? Let me know, here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
NoleLife

The sound is back.... going back to the dealer on Monday. *Sigh*
Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
If it is indeed a lifter, you'll be without your car for about 5-7 days. Ask me how I know...
They have their schedules etc, I know

but to be honest I've removed a pushrod V8 from a car, and replaced all my main and rod bearings, and then had the car ready to take me to work again, over a weekend. And I wasn't busting my hump to do it.