Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 02-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
black-knight

Drives: 1998 Chevrolet Camaro, 3800 V6, M5
What I'm Considering for my 4th-Gen

Hear me out on this one for a second.

At heart, I am a '77-'81 (and '98-'02) Trans Am fan, especially the '77-'78 SE cars. I love my Camaro but I've been thinking of ways to make a Camaro "SE" appearance package.

Heresy? Probably. But here's my approach. A lot of these ideas are recycled from what I had planned for a '98 Firebird that I used to have. The goal is to make the end-result look modern, clean, and add heritage to my 4th-gen; nothing excessive and overwrought, though.

• Year One 17" reproduction Chevrolet Rally wheels. Year One's 17" reproduction Pontiac Snowflakes are finding their way onto a lot of 4th-gen Firebirds and Trans Ams. The end result looks great and adds heritage to the design. That's the thinking here, to add some '70s Z28 heritage to my Camaro. I would either leave the wheels gunmetal gray, paint them black, maybe try to figure out a way to add a dash of gold to the rims. While the YO Rally Repros are in the lead as far as what to do with the wheels and tires on my car, honorable mentions are a set of gunmetal gray Torq-Thrust IIs (because they would add a similar visual effect as the Repros) or Corvette C6 rims (while they would buck the idea of adding heritage to the car, they would really lend to making the car look modern).
  • Camaro SS rear spoiler.
  • Camaro SS hood. Leading out from the scoop section of the hood would be a graphic similar to the '79 Z28 in gold paint and outlined similar to a Chevrolet Rally Stripe. No Chevrolet Rally Stripes here, though. These stripes on 4th-gens are always contoured to the hood of the car and I haven't really much cared for that. It makes the stripes look a bit like an afterthought to me. I considered a hockey-stick style stripe for the side of the car, but the 4th-gen F-Body is a something of a direct/indirect descendant of the 2nd-gen car and it feels out of place to me.
  • Gold SE fender badges in the Z28/RS font.
  • Modern headlamps and red LED taillights/CHMISL.
  • Black Leather/Black & Gold Houndstooth, pleather Camaro door panels.
  • Gold lettering for the Camaro dash plaque.
  • Hurst shifter with Black Hurst shift knob with Gold logo.
  • New design for the gauge overlays.
  • SLP grille insert with Gold-outlined Bowtie.

Any thoughts?
black-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
black-knight

Drives: 1998 Chevrolet Camaro, 3800 V6, M5
Maybe a good name for this custom appearance package would be "LSE" versus the more Pontiac-esque "SE" name.

I didn't add performance mods to the list, but there would be some. It's limited on what you can do with a V6 4th gen car, I'm sure most of you guys know. But it's a DD. I'm going to pick up a 2nd or 4th gen T/A eventually so I'm not worried about turning it into a speed demon, just make it into a nice, clean, unique DD with some show and a touch of go.
black-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
i like it! all looks like good ideas to me!
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
Brangeta

Drives: '95 Z28 and '02 SS 35thLE
I like most of your ideas. What year Camaro do you own?

Member of the Camaro5 - DFW Group
Brangeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sounds good man, would look good next to a T/A of the right era! Just be careful with the LED tails... They tend to be the straw that breaks the camel's back

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote