Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
There is going to be just as much cost doing your own R&D manpower to create your own kit. I don't see in any way how you can "literally save thousands". Fabbing your own header? Ducting? Measuring clearances? Buying components?

Unless you are unemployed and free access to a supply of straight piping, CNC tooling, and metal bending equipment, there is no way you will save significant money doing a turbo kit yourself.

In addition, without tested and proven R&D, what's to say your homebrew kit will be reliable and work properly?

Nonsense
Go look at this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265198

And then come back and tell me nonsense.

I've never even heard of a bolt in turbo kit until I joined C5. Seen hundreds at the track all hand fabricated and beautiful (And fast fast fast). And after looking at the quality of some of the pre-built kits (Fitment and welding) I'd still rather do it myself.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Go look at this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265198

And then come back and tell me nonsense.

I've never even heard of a bolt in turbo kit until I joined C5. Seen hundreds at the track all hand fabricated and beautiful (And fast fast fast). And after looking at the quality of some of the pre-built kits (Fitment and welding) I'd still rather do it myself.

Yeah most twin setups on our diesels are CUSTOM fabbed. Rednecks got skillz

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Nothing Redneck about it. It is an art. I see welds like that and I am jealous. My Vega race car has a full tube chassis (and hand made headers) and the welds on it were done by a master. When I get teched at the track they just whistle and pass me.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
topsales

Drives: 2013 SS
If you want the added power you just need to man up and buy one
topsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #19
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
There is going to be just as much cost doing your own R&D manpower to create your own kit. I don't see in any way how you can "literally save thousands". Fabbing your own header? Ducting? Measuring clearances? Buying components?

Unless you are unemployed and free access to a supply of straight piping, CNC tooling, and metal bending equipment, there is no way you will save significant money doing a turbo kit yourself.

In addition, without tested and proven R&D, what's to say your homebrew kit will be reliable and work properly?

Nonsense
Well I am one that believes in proven results, and my kit can be considered a "home made turbo kit" and I have had this kit installed for over 2 years and run mid to low 11's all day long. The only thing that has broken were stock OEM parts.

And my total out of pocket cost was just around $5700- that is going from stock to fully tuned at the race track running 11's. Find me another twin Turbo kit for that same price installed and tuned and I will agree with you.

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
wayner

Drives: White SSRS Convertible Edelbrock SC
Sure its possible. Knock yourself out

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13574305131464
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:

Nonsense
How is that even logical? It costs way more to pay someone to do a job than to do it yourself... Like I said "if you have the means" fabbing it yourself is way cheaper! Most cost is from labor, not parts! I'm not saying parts themselves are cheap or free, but in a turbo kit most of the cost is not the parts themselves. Measuring/bending, etc. of pipes costs you absolutly nothing but time if your doing it yourself and you can buy a turbo for anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand. The piping is only a few hundred more dollars, and an intercooler will range in cost just like a turbo, and then a few other odds and ends for hardware and a BOV/wastegate. So if your smart about it and you do your own labor you could most defenetly have a kit built and installed and tuned ($500-$700) for less than 1/2 of what most of the available kits cost. It all depends on if you are able to do it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjer22x View Post
Well I am one that believes in proven results, and my kit can be considered a "home made turbo kit" and I have had this kit installed for over 2 years and run mid to low 11's all day long. The only thing that has broken were stock OEM parts.

And my total out of pocket cost was just around $5700- that is going from stock to fully tuned at the race track running 11's. Find me another twin Turbo kit for that same price installed and tuned and I will agree with you.

My point exactly... and this is a twin turbo, so a single turbo would be even slightly less than this.
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
It's a win win situation either way if you ask me.

Pre-made kit - someone's taken the guess work out of it. You get all the parts, brackets, hardware etc, bolt it on, tune it, and bam you're done. Usually ends up costing more but it saves you time.

Homemade kit - more legwork on your end rounding up parts, planning mounting locations, tubing work, etc. However...a lot of times when I am installing other people's kits (anything, doesn't have to be f/i) I think, this would be so much better if _______... So you have more leeway in making it as perfect as you desire.

Whether or not you save on cost doing it yourself just boils down to what you feel your own time/labor is worth. When I do things on my own (not just cars but house stuff, whatever) there is also that sense of pride that I did it with my own two hands, that's worth a lot to people too
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #23
xjer22x

Couldn't have said it better myself. Here's a a breakdown of my costs...

Piping- $250
Fittings and flanges- $100
Braded oil lines-$200
Scavenger oil pump-$400
Turbos-$2200
Ls9 MAP sensor- $50
KB BAP-$400
Wastegate-$300
BOV-$250
Injectors-$400
Dyno tune-$500
Misc tools and resources needed(including food and drinks)- $500
Time it took to fabricate and build- $priceless...

End result was 635hp/640tq on most aggressive tune- 565whp/560tq street trim.

Yes I don't have an intercooler so that would have costed about $400 more if I went that route. But decided I liked the stealth look.

:-)

Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjer22x View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. Here's a a breakdown of my costs...

Piping- $250
Fittings and flanges- $100
Braded oil lines-$200
Scavenger oil pump-$400
Turbos-$2200
Ls9 MAP sensor- $50
KB BAP-$400
Wastegate-$300
BOV-$250
Injectors-$400
Dyno tune-$500
Misc tools and resources needed(including food and drinks)- $500
Time it took to fabricate and build- $priceless...

End result was 635hp/640tq on most aggressive tune- 565whp/560tq street trim.

Yes I don't have an intercooler so that would have costed about $400 more if I went that route. But decided I liked the stealth look.

:-)

Did you make a build thread? I'd love to see pics.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #25
xjer22x

I do have one on here, but its a little out dated due to me having my own website so i update it on there more. Here is the link to the one on here, and the one on my website

updated build thread

camaro5 build thread
Old 01-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #26
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
SyckSs!
Say what you want about Syckss's parts but it is clean and it works! I've seen it in person and at the track where it counts, I'd just wish he'd get an intercooler lol J/k the meth is working good lol. Can't wait to line them up in the spring bud!!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Is that Pipe going under your rear diff?
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #28
xjer22x

Haha thanks man. I do appreciate that. I should get my username changed on here too I guess.

And we will see about that intercooler this year. Got a couple tricks up my sleeve this winter so we will see if I will make that jump too. I can't wait to get back to the track, this winter is taking forever! We are in the process of adding a set of turbos to my buddies '00 TA right now. he still really wants to see yours.

Tags
diy, homemade, turbo, twin