Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Comfort wise a bit less, agreed close though

HA I didn't even spot that.

I want to close up the wheel "gap" without making it even more "harsh". Also do not want to put some huge ass wheels on it either(staying with stocker 20s off the ZL1). Think I might have to either go with coils that have camber adjustments etc or springs (maybe 2"F and 1.5"R) and have a kit installed to help with alignment/wheel wear. I DONT want to make this ride any rougher but I think it will be fine
If you're doing springs, just watch the spring rate. Spring rate and sway bar diameter will have an effect on whether your car will push (understeer) or be to free or loose (oversteer). I think Chevy got it just right when they fixed the understeer on the SS with the 1LE. A little bit bigger sway bar, if they make one, and a tiny bit of negative camber, should actually eliminate the understeer. But you might sacrifice tires for daily driving. Testing is fun, so test the hell of your 1LE when you get it, have fun doing it. I know I would.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
DanSS24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008yellow View Post
I have had different z's over the last 8 years. They ride firm but very controlled, I call it taunt, I think that is a word?
Anyway, I would never tell anyone to not buy a ZO6 Vette because the ride is fun. I have a 2SS 2013 and another on order but don't want to wait a long time for that option. Don' like the hood really.
Getting back into the muscle car feel of the Camaro and out of the Vette until the new body style, C7, shows up. If you didn't know, prices are good now on C5 and C6 Corvettes. Skip
Man...if I had the money like some on this forum, I would definitely consider the Z06, plus the 1LE. Z06 for pure race fun and 1LE for race fun and getting groceries afterwards. Like your thinking there. BTW...you have 2013 2SS and another on order? What are you getting? I'm definitely "j" right now.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
What makes these 1LE's, so called "a harsh ride", is the monotube shocks. Factory SS suspensions today use twin tubes for comfort. I've always upgraded my Camaro's with Bilsteins shocks and struts, and the ride is hard but controllable. It was comfortable enough for me but not for passengers. But then again, I mainly used it for patrol work. Used the sedan for groceries. Now I drive a Charger R/T and upgraded with hotchkis and koni's (which are twin tubes). Those that know, twin tubes are good for mild performance, which you get firmer ride but not harsh. This was not good for my taste, it still felt soft. My driving style is not like the average person. So i'm switching to Bilsteins again. Hope this helps some of those that chose to buy the 1LE.
Do you get you Camaro Bilsteins through MTI Racing or some other manufacturer?
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #18
DanSS24

It was my '98 Camaro SS I did it to, and I think we got it from Thunder Racing at the time. My Bilstein's now if for my Charger R/T and I got it from Tire Rack. Already I can tell the difference, monotube shocks are larger in diameter and heavier than the koni's I have on now. I just checked the Bilstein site, they don't make shocks for the current Camaros. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
2008yellow

Drives: 2013 blue
Have a 2SS RS 13 auto Blue Ray Metallic in garage, pictures in general section. Like it so much,wifes new ride, I just ordered Crystal Red 2SS RS with Hurst and performance ext.
Was driving C6 ZO6 but just got talked out of it by someone. Ha!! Getting ready for new C7 style. For now like this Camaro. Just looked. my order is in. Did not want to wait for 1le car.
Before I turned the ZO6 over to a friend I Showed its taillights to a new 13 ZL1. so I want to start on a LS3 and see what I can do with it.
2008yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Good one. GM says "we are giving 2% of customers a car for the track", if people are daily driving and worried about ride you shouldn't be getting a track orineted car in the first place.

Keep in mind this car is from a company that has two mode exhaust (cares about NVH), acoustic treatments on a track car on the hood, engine cover, intake cover, trunk lid, laminated glass, a 600hp car without supercharger whine etc. etc . etc. They also added larger sway bars to it (handling), stickier tires (handling), which don't really impact ride that much, hence SS ride.

I am certain it will ride close to a SS.
It's the shocks more than anything that will cause the harshness. Unless you have really bad roads any enthusiast will be fine.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
DanSS24

Check this out and decide folks. You'll get a better understanding. A video is worth a million words.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008yellow View Post
I have had different z's over the last 8 years. They ride firm but very controlled, I call it taunt, I think that is a word?
Anyway, I would never tell anyone to not buy a ZO6 Vette because the ride is fun. I have a 2SS 2013 and another on order but don't want to wait a long time for that option. Don' like the hood really.
Getting back into the muscle car feel of the Camaro and out of the Vette until the new body style, C7, shows up. If you didn't know, prices are good now on C5 and C6 Corvettes. Skip
I believe the word your looking for is "taut"

taut/tôt/
Adjective:

1.Stretched or pulled tight; not slack: "the fabric stays taut without adhesive".
2.(esp. of muscles or nerves) Tense; not relaxed.

taunt/tônt/

Noun:
A remark made in order to anger, wound, or provoke someone.

Verb:
Provoke or challenge (someone) with insulting remarks: "students began taunting her about her weight".

Synonyms:
noun. jeer - mockery - ridicule - scoff - gibe - derision
verb. mock - deride - jeer - gibe - ridicule - twit - scoff

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #23
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Check this out and decide folks. You'll get a better understanding. A video is worth a million words.

Very Informative, thanks for sharing.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
it's not going to be that hard. it's not like the camaro is a Cadillac in the first place.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #25
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I'm buying it for the track and autocross mainly, weekend driver otherwise.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #26
DanSS24

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I'm buying it for the track and autocross mainly, weekend driver otherwise.
Then you are going to love the monotube shocks. Bilsteins does not make monotubes anymore for the Camaros. Last was the 4th gen Camaros. But I understand Pfadt's dampers are monotubes, but currently on back order. Not trying to promote anyone, but it's going to be hard to find vendors that sell good all out performance shocks. Based on my experience with changing suspensions on my car, I can't stand twin tubes...too comfortable. I'm glad Bilsteins made these for my boat of a car R/T.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #27
2008yellow

Drives: 2013 blue
I better sleep more, good english lesson
2008yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #28
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Then you are going to love the monotube shocks. Bilsteins does not make monotubes anymore for the Camaros. Last was the 4th gen Camaros. But I understand Pfadt's dampers are monotubes, but currently on back order. Not trying to promote anyone, but it's going to be hard to find vendors that sell good all out performance shocks. Based on my experience with changing suspensions on my car, I can't stand twin tubes...too comfortable. I'm glad Bilsteins made these for my boat of a car R/T.

Actually MTI Racing makes a Bilstein coilover for the 2010+ camaro.
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote