Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #141
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Hi everybody! Got my RX Dual Check Valve Catch Can today! I was going over everything before starting my install, sort of a dry run if you will, and I noticed the "T" from Roto Fab CAI, I haven't installed the T yet, but its not 3/8th like the RX can and hoses. So what is the solution? Force the 3/8th hose on? Is there a coupler that goes 3/8 to 1/4? What did you do?

Also from reading the various threads, there are NO Clear and Concise instructions on the hoses. Best I could find is the diagram below. Which is very good, but nowhere else could I find good instructions. I'm not mounting it to the radiator shroud, I like the tnspd & zfuzz in post #58. They used the already threaded hole at the bottom of the radiator, into the frame member. It's just more out of the way and if the drain hose ever drips it can drip directly onto the ground.

Just wish the can was marked/stamped 1,2,3 or a,b,c, then you would know exactly where each hose goes. I gotta ask charlietuna if he ever connected the Roto fab hose, and what did he do when the hose wouldn't fit onto the "T"!!!???
one of the threads back someone posted a link to the reducers you need. Let me see if I can find it.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #142
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Here it is:

Post #39

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=304898&page=2

Norma; how long did it take for you to get your Catch Can anyway?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #143
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post

Norma; how long did it take for you to get your Catch Can anyway?
Thanks for the link, I read so many threads on catch can installs I went crossed eyed there for a while. Anyway to answer your question I ordered my RX Catch Can on 4-24-13, and it arrived today! Yeah, it was a long wait, just wish the connectors on top were labeled. Sent an email to Phastek Perdormance, ordered my CAI thru them, they asked me to give them a call. Will do tomorrow, curious to see their solution. Again, thanks for the link.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #144
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Thanks for the link, I read so many threads on catch can installs I went crossed eyed there for a while. Anyway to answer your question I ordered my RX Catch Can on 4-24-13, and it arrived today! Yeah, it was a long wait, just wish the connectors on top were labeled. Sent an email to Phastek Perdormance, ordered my CAI thru them, they asked me to give them a call. Will do tomorrow, curious to see their solution. Again, thanks for the link.
Normagene, did you get a single or dual valve.I know it was a long wait but the can now will protect your BABY from getting all JACKED up inside,,,, Love that mine is on knowing the shit its collecting is not getting in. When you see all the other posts with pictures of what a motor looks like with out one it sure is the way to go. Every zl1 owner should have one, Don't care about what brand as long as its a reputable catch can.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #145
jbotta

Quote:
Hi everybody! Got my RX Dual Check Valve Catch Can today! I was going over everything before starting my install, sort of a dry run if you will, and I noticed the "T" from Roto Fab CAI, I haven't installed the T yet, but its not 3/8th like the RX can and hoses. So what is the solution? Force the 3/8th hose on? Is there a coupler that goes 3/8 to 1/4? What did you do?

Also from reading the various threads, there are NO Clear and Concise instructions on the hoses. Best I could find is the diagram below. Which is very good, but nowhere else could I find good instructions. I'm not mounting it to the radiator shroud, I like the tnspd & zfuzz in post #58. They used the already threaded hole at the bottom of the radiator, into the frame member. It's just more out of the way and if the drain hose ever drips it can drip directly onto the ground.

Just wish the can was marked/stamped 1,2,3 or a,b,c, then you would know exactly where each hose goes. I gotta ask charlietuna if he ever connected the Roto fab hose, and what did he do when the hose wouldn't fit onto the "T"!!!???
The tee end is 1/2 inch, Need to get 1/2 in hose and a 3/8 to 1/2 in coupler. If you need to find 1/2 in to 3/8 coupler and you cant find one, JEGS has them, I can send you the link if you need one.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #146
jbotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post
The tee end is 1/2 inch, Need to get 1/2 in hose and a 3/8 to 1/2 in coupler. If you need to find 1/2 in to 3/8 coupler and you cant find one, JEGS has them, I can send you the link if you need one.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/2860...ductId=1571522 They have them in stock
Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #147
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post
Thanks Joe. G-Oil Guy gave me that same link earlier. I'll talk to Phastek Performance first and see what's up. I got the Dual Can, 3 hoses, and just the plain rubber hoses, nothing fancy, and they don't have a check valve in them either. Not sure why that is.? But the braided lines do. Anyway, should get this in tomorrow or whenever the part comes in if I have to order one.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #148
Normagene

Just out of curiosity, I haven't installed yet, but what would happen if it was connected the complete opposite of the below diagram. In other words the intake to the manifold, I guess the center hose would still be the same, to the valley cover, and the manifold to the CAI. Just wondering what would happen. I'm assuming that the manifold hose, the first one closest to the mounting handle/bracket, but it seems just as easily somebody could turn the can around and reverse the process since the can isn't marked. Would it throw a code immediately? Just wondering, be so easy to stamp the can inlets and preclude any misconceptions on the proper procedures.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373375801.292072.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  26.8 KB
Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #149
ZL1Reaper

Drives: '13 Silver Ice Metallic ZL1
Mine is reversed like you're wondering. No codes at all. I don't think it matters.
ZL1Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #150
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, I haven't installed yet, but what would happen if it was connected the complete opposite of the below diagram. In other words the intake to the manifold, I guess the center hose would still be the same, to the valley cover, and the manifold to the CAI. Just wondering what would happen. I'm assuming that the manifold hose, the first one closest to the mounting handle/bracket, but it seems just as easily somebody could turn the can around and reverse the process since the can isn't marked. Would it throw a code immediately? Just wondering, be so easy to stamp the can inlets and preclude any misconceptions on the proper procedures.
Attachment 532271
It would not matter, both ports do the same thing. It's just a bit cleaner to install like the diagram.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #151
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Reaper View Post
Mine is reversed like you're wondering. No codes at all. I don't think it matters.
Really, I was wondering about that and it just seems so likely that someone would do just that, install them in the reverse order. Anyway I sent the diagram to RX, Karen to be specific, since I'm waiting now on the hose "connector reducer" $6 from JEGs, because the connections on the can and air intake are different sizes, 3/8th and 1/2 inch. But I figured I'd send RX the diagram I'll be using to do my install. Also suggested stamping the top of the cans 1,2,3 next to each inlet/connector with instructions like connect hose 1 to the manifold inlet, connect hose 2 to the valley etc... That way we would have clear and concise install instructions. Reading thru all these threads you end up more confused with all the different people arguing over which way to do the connections.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #152
Normagene

I noticed some of the hoses have check valves in them, does the ZL1 need the two hoses with the check valves? Just wondering, the hoses I received Do Not have the check valves.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #153
Azzkker

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, 99 z28, 89 iroc-z
no check valve in the hoses needed.
Azzkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #154
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
I think the RX uses check valves in the top of the can or the fitting on the top of the can. Can anyone confirm that?
Not sure how much it maters since the factory system doesn't have check valves.