Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #659
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessey Performance View Post
.......We are going to re-test our stock ZL1 auto tomorrow to see if it does any better........I will let you know tomorrow.
Nothing yet....I take it the weather didn't cooperate?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #660
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron66Vette&10SS View Post
Nothing yet....I take it the weather didn't cooperate?
No it did not... I posted that above...

Attached Images

Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #661
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
i am floored by this. the car will run faster. 117mph traps. its slower than i thought.

launch control doesnt work it appears. maybe the 13 GT500 launch wont work either. i seriously believe this car will be faster that a gt500 when the bugs are fixed. IF NOT. chevy has ruined themselves.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #662
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
i am floored by this. the car will run faster. 117mph traps. its slower than i thought.

launch control doesnt work it appears. maybe the 13 GT500 launch wont work either. i seriously believe this car will be faster that a gt500 when the bugs are fixed. IF NOT. chevy has ruined themselves.
580hp is a big bug but 650 is even bigger. Nothing to fix, it is what it is. Maybe next time.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #663
S8ER01Z

Drives: Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT View Post
Dude, right now you don't own a Camaro, and like me, the perception is that you and I are visitors here, but not a member of the Camaro 'brotherhood'.

My car is a very close cousin to the Camaro, but the perception is that it's a Pontiac, and no matter what, I most likely won't have the same credibility as a 'brother' Camaro owner. I guess I would probably feel the same way if a non G8 owner came to the G8 boards and started telling 'us' about 'our' cars.

It is what it is, and I understand it.
As if being a Camaro owner here means anything...
Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #664
Minkman555

Drives: 2001 MONTE CARLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
because someone else asked about it and was too darn lazy to go look it up on google. is that ok?

can I ask what you're smoking? because I really need some. I don't have a ZL1 on order or plan to get one. I'm also no a "fanboy." but look at the magazine times for both the GT500 and ZL1. They are in the same company. Being that the GT500 has a history of not hooking up. and the wider tires on the ZL1 help with that. I'm sure stock times will be below stock GT500 times.

calling this car a disappointment is a disappointment in and of itself. But alas you can't please everyone. and this shows it right here. what were you expecting the magazines to get mild 11's? Not going to happen. Most of the mags go with a testing method that will determine what an avg driver would get if he only raced once in a blue moon. Not what enthusiast get. Go launch a 580 hp car and see how hard it really is.

Leave the convertible trash talking in the convertible section. 150 people does not constitute a huge problem. it constitutes a problem. I do not have those issues and if I do I'll get them fixed. I've found most people in that section cry about the smallest details. just like the guy that has a scuff mark on his dash in this section. But who gets greased first. the squeakiest wheel. and right now that's the 150 people with top problems. Again GM is listening your facebook page and the vert section is where you should air out those problems.
I am currently smoking a camel nonfilter. They are avaible at many gas stations and grocery stores but CVS usually has the best price , so check your local CVS.

Was I expecting the magazines to post mid 11's ? No. Was i expecting some magazines to post times .1 tenth slower then a stock SS ? Hell No. Was I expecting professional and possibly the best drivers at Hennessey performance to post mid 12's ? no.

What GT500 are you talking about ? The 11' / 12' ? Well either way you make no sense , because the 13' is the ZL1's matchup .. The possibility of the 12's smashing ZL1's is quite possible. And you said that stock SS'es can beat the 11/12 500 ? I remember a YouTube video of an LLT beating a GT500. With that said , the GT is manual only and there are a ton of people who don't know how to drive them properly. Equal drivers -- I think it's not even a debate that the current 500 will beat the SS every time given equal variables . And with what's been documented on the ZL1 , it is also quite possible that the current 500 will have no problems with the ZL1. So let's not talk about the 13' 500 because I assume (with all the hatred I have for the mustang) , that it will a beast that the buyers requested.

The ZL1 is not a track car , period. It is the flagship Camaro , and people are buying them for 60k sometimes higher due to markup. If I spent 60k on a ZL1 , and found out an SS with a few hundred bucks worth of bolt ons could beat me on the drag strip , I would not be happy -- given you can get an SS with 2k miles on it in the high 20k range.

For those that say times don't matter -- then like I said , get an SS or LLT. They all look the same (for the most part). Spending 30 grand to cut .5 off an SS time IS A HUGE DISSAPPOITMENT. I know the handling and all of that is better , but does that justify die hard camaro fans spending 30k + for what was supposed to be , and hyped up to be -- a monster.

Chevy fell short on this , and I think it's a slap in the face to people that have Chevy in their blood , and checks to give them.

I am not arguing about this because I know some people will never accept the reality that the ZL1 isn't what we thought it would be -- and as of now (some may prove Hennessy , and every major magazine wrong) it isn't worth 60 grand.

The break in period thing -- I dont think .5 will come off after a thousand or so miles. Didn't the 12.5 bone stock SS run happen a few weeks after they came out ? I'm sure some drivers will post good numbers , but I will have to disagree with you -- the zl1 is CURRENTLY a dissapoitment , and there are too many facts to deny this.
Minkman555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #665
nanokpsi

Drives: Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
580hp is a big bug but 650 is even bigger. Nothing to fix, it is what it is. Maybe next time.
+1
I think the ZL1 and 2011-2012 GT500s will be a drivers race all day. The 2013 is going to be a tough nut to crack. It has a better power to weight than a Z06.
nanokpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #666
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkman555 View Post
I am currently smoking a camel nonfilter. They are avaible at many gas stations and grocery stores but CVS usually has the best price , so check your local CVS.

Was I expecting the magazines to post mid 11's ? No. Was i expecting some magazines to post times .1 tenth slower then a stock SS ? Hell No. Was I expecting professional and possibly the best drivers at Hennessey performance to post mid 12's ? no.

What GT500 are you talking about ? The 11' / 12' ? Well either way you make no sense , because the 13' is the ZL1's matchup .. The possibility of the 12's smashing ZL1's is quite possible. And you said that stock SS'es can beat the 11/12 500 ? I remember a YouTube video of an LLT beating a GT500. With that said , the GT is manual only and there are a ton of people who don't know how to drive them properly. Equal drivers -- I think it's not even a debate that the current 500 will beat the SS every time given equal variables . And with what's been documented on the ZL1 , it is also quite possible that the current 500 will have no problems with the ZL1. So let's not talk about the 13' 500 because I assume (with all the hatred I have for the mustang) , that it will a beast that the buyers requested.

The ZL1 is not a track car , period. It is the flagship Camaro , and people are buying them for 60k sometimes higher due to markup. If I spent 60k on a ZL1 , and found out an SS with a few hundred bucks worth of bolt ons could beat me on the drag strip , I would not be happy -- given you can get an SS with 2k miles on it in the high 20k range.

For those that say times don't matter -- then like I said , get an SS or LLT. They all look the same (for the most part). Spending 30 grand to cut .5 off an SS time IS A HUGE DISSAPPOITMENT. I know the handling and all of that is better , but does that justify die hard camaro fans spending 30k + for what was supposed to be , and hyped up to be -- a monster.

Chevy fell short on this , and I think it's a slap in the face to people that have Chevy in their blood , and checks to give them.

I am not arguing about this because I know some people will never accept the reality that the ZL1 isn't what we thought it would be -- and as of now (some may prove Hennessy , and every major magazine wrong) it isn't worth 60 grand.

The break in period thing -- I dont think .5 will come off after a thousand or so miles. Didn't the 12.5 bone stock SS run happen a few weeks after they came out ? I'm sure some drivers will post good numbers , but I will have to disagree with you -- the zl1 is CURRENTLY a dissapoitment , and there are too many facts to deny this.
"All" this because of a few tenths in a 1/4 time? Wow you must be very disappointed by a lot of things in your life.

Anyone SO into 1/4 mile will not leave ANY car alone, it WILL be modded.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #667
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkman555 View Post

....and you base all of this off of what?? "this thread" LMAO..

Would it suprise you if I told you the driver was the owner? Then you say the match up is the 13 GT500 followed by let's not talk about the GT500..WTF is it... This is the 12MY and the 13 GT500 was announced after the ZL1 was set in stone so you can't expect GM to compete with air... We'll see what happens with the 2014 ZL1.

Then you act like a few hundred bucks would make an SS as good as a ZL1... LOL again... That kind of cash spent on a ZL1 will get you WAY MORE on a ZL1 vs an SS. No way can they even be compaired..

And finally you throw around 60 grand like that is MSRP... I haven't seen a sticker yet that is up to that... This package is just that... everything included... at 55. The other guys won't be like that and even with GG tax it is a bargan...
Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #668
jewc75

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Why are all the Chevy guys arguing with each other? Just be proud of what you have!!!
jewc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #669
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
....and you base all of this off of what?? "this thread" LMAO..

Would it suprise you if I told you the driver was the owner? Then you say the match up is the 13 GT500 followed by let's not talk about the GT500..WTF is it... This is the 12MY and the 13 GT500 was announced after the ZL1 was set in stone so you can't expect GM to compete with air... We'll see what happens with the 2014 ZL1.

Then you act like a few hundred bucks would make an SS as good as a ZL1... LOL again... That kind of cash spent on a ZL1 will get you WAY MORE on a ZL1 vs an SS. No way can they even be compaired..

And finally you throw around 60 grand like that is MSRP... I haven't seen a sticker yet that is up to that... This package is just that... everything included... at 55. The other guys won't be like that and even with GG tax it is a bargan...
not to burst your bubble but come on, a 2012 ZL1 when seriously, it should be a 2013. They started producing SS early 2009 and guess what? It was a 2010. A 2012 MY ZL1 for two months, then quicly followed by a 2013MY... It was all a marketing move for a little bit of glory against the current MY GT500. BTW, the announcements about the ZL1 hp and new GT500 hp were not far apart at all. You make it sound like ZL1hp was announced months or a year earlier and Ford had all the time to build up the GT500 to 650hp. The current 5.4 only takes a pulley and tune to get to 650 crank hp. It didn't take much for Ford at all to get to 650 legally (emissions wise)...bored to 5.8 and bigger TVS. Imagine a pulley and tune on that monster? 750crank easy.
As mainly a roadcourse guy, yes, I love that the ZL1 comes near-ready for the roadcourse. Read the manual on why I say "near." But do you really think anymore than maybe 5% of the members here who bought/buy the ZL1 will ever see the roadcourse? That number is likely less. On the other hand, , I can really appreciate the route that Ford has taken with regard to the "options" for the GT500. The base GT500 is cheaper (no GG) than the ZL1, and it is all you need to dominate the ZL1 on the drag strip. If one also wants their GT500 to excel in roads with turns like the ZL1, get the SVT-PP package. If one wants to do extended roadracing, add the track package to the SVT-PP option. To me, Ford offers a smarter buy for the casual monster pony buyer. Just my opinion.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #670
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
not to burst your bubble but come on, a 2012 ZL1 when seriously, it should be a 2013. They started producing SS early 2009 and guess what? It was a 2010. A 2012 MY ZL1 for two months, then quicly followed by a 2013MY... It was all a marketing move for a little bit of glory against the current MY GT500. BTW, the announcements about the ZL1 hp and new GT500 hp were not far apart at all. You make it sound like ZL1hp was announced months or a year earlier and Ford had all the time to build up the GT500 to 650hp. The current 5.4 only takes a pulley and tune to get to 650 crank hp. It didn't take much for Ford at all to get to 650 legally (emissions wise)...bored to 5.8 and bigger TVS. Imagine a pulley and tune on that monster? 750crank easy.
As mainly a roadcourse guy, yes, I love that the ZL1 comes near-ready for the roadcourse. Read the manual on why I say "near." But do you really think anymore than maybe 5% of the members here who bought/buy the ZL1 will ever see the roadcourse? That number is likely less. On the other hand, , I can really appreciate the route that Ford has taken with regard to the "options" for the GT500. The base GT500 is cheaper (no GG) than the ZL1, and it is all you need to dominate the ZL1 on the drag strip. If one also wants their GT500 to excel in roads with turns like the ZL1, get the SVT-PP package. If one wants to do extended roadracing, add the track package to the SVT-PP option. To me, Ford offers a smarter buy for the casual monster pony buyer. Just my opinion.

Yes.... key word being CASUAL. ZL1 Owners want the Track Ready/Strip Ready Vehicle, and that's what they got! Whether or not they take it to a track is irrelevant.

And, with the advent of the ZL1, pony buyer is simply an outdated term used to define Mustangs, but not the ZL1 -- not anymore! JMHO
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #671
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
You're not bursting any bubble here... I agree, except for GM is one full year ahead on this one, and did not have 2013 GT numbers until after it was too late... they built this car to beat the 2012 and only time will tell if they were successful... good one on Ford for the timely announcement, GM now has to up the antie and bring it with a 2014, but you can't expect them to built something to beat a car that didn't exist.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #672
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Yes.... key word being CASUAL. ZL1 Owners want the Track Ready/Strip Ready Vehicle, and that's what they got! Whether or not they take it to a track is irrelevant.

And, with the advent of the ZL1, pony buyer is simply an outdated term used to define Mustangs, but not the ZL1 -- not anymore! JMHO
I respect your passion, I really do.

The Boss 302 Laguna Seca doesn't have the electronic suspension gadgetry of the ZL1 but it does what the ZL1 does in both strip and track at 136hp less and thousands cheaper (MSRP vs MSRP). A few thousands difference between two directly competing cars shouldn't matter. I wonder what people will say when a SVT-PP optioned '13 GT500 posts better times on a roadcourse than the ZL1? On the strip, it is a done deal. Wait for the #s, it is no joke and is actually under-hyped.

Tags
700hp z28 strip car, zl1 track car