Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Cool Test drove a beat up SS today...

On the way to lunch today at work, I drove by the Chevy dealer which is just about a block away from work [it's where I bought my Camaro, too], and noticed a Victory Red SS out in the used lot. I contacted my sales guy and he gave me a price on it that sounded kinda high. But he said I should come take a look. So I go up there after work and this thing is ragged out. Scratches all over it, completely bald tires, scuffs on the interior [it's a 2SS, so it was leather, obviously]. But I figured I'd at least take it for a spin...

So yea, it was a fun ride. The exhaust tone was a little disappointing, but that can always be upgraded, of course. It was fast, but honestly, not quite as fast as I was expecting for whatever reason. Maybe I just drive my V6 a little harder than I thought I did.

Anyway, after the test drive, I went inside to talk about numbers on a new 1SS/RS which they didn't have in stock currently. Even with my negative equity on my V6, my payments would have been around $650 a month, and that's without me haggling yet, so I know I can get it lower than that. And that's just about $100 a month more than I pay now. I'm not rich or well off by any means, so that extra $100 a month is going to be a decent hit to my wallet. So my question to all the V8 owners is, what kind of real world EXTRA expenses can I expect to have going from a V6 other than fuel cost? I know the oil changes are more expensive, but how much more is that? I'm not a DIY guy with that kind of stuff, so doing it by myself isn't an option for me, unfortunately. Are any other normal maintenance things way more money? What about the Brembos? Are they expensive to replace when their time comes?

Also, did any of you V6 owners drive an SS later on down the road and decide to not trade up? I'm really on the fence about it. I love my car so much, it would suck if I didn't get a crazy amount of joy out of the V8. I'm not trying to stir up a V6 vs. V8 thread. I have a V6 and I love it, so I can't be convinced that they suck because I know they don't.

Oh yea, and I'm trying to convince my wife of why I "need" a V8, too... :/

Thanks for the input, guys.

Last edited by AdamEL; 05-07-2013 at 09:20 PM.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I traded my V6 a little over a year ago, and I'm soooo glad I did. I liked my V6. I love the SS. Gas is a little more, but it's not my DD. I do my own oil changes, but if I recall, the dealer wanted $80-$100. Any extra expenses that I've incurred are totally worth it, IMO. Did you push the SS? If you drive it hard, you'll notice a big difference between it and the V6. Once you get above 3K or so RPMs, it really pulls! Good luck with your decision!

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
GotGame55
Haters gonna hate?

Drives: '04 Chevy Dirtymax
Was it manual or auto?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Dznyfn

Drives: 13 1SS Vert, 05 Tahoe Z71, 67 RS/SS
Higher gas price, higher oil changes, higher insurance, and the biggest is the higher level of awesomeness with all that power at your foot!!!

Ohhhh, and for the mods, well.........
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Thank you for the input, E.T. And yes, I did almost floor it 2 different times. Definitely noticed more pull than my V6, but didn't seem crazy for some reason...
GotGame55, it was an auto. Unfortunately, I have to go automatic because I'm so short. Otherwise, I'll have to sit right up on the steering wheel.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Well, if you love your current car and having the higher car payment, higher fuel bills / operating expenses of a SS is a concern - then keep what you got!

Unless of course if you gotta have the power - then you gotta pay the money.

The answer comes with which way keeps you up at night thinking about it.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznyfn View Post
Higher gas price, higher oil changes, higher insurance, and the biggest is the higher level of awesomeness with all that power at your foot!!!

Ohhhh, and for the mods, well.........
Haha! Yea, for sure... And now that you brought insurance up - How much will that go up? I thought I read on here a bunch of times that the SS is cheaper to insure versus the V6?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Dznyfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Haha! Yea, for sure... And now that you brought insurance up - How much will that go up? I thought I read on here a bunch of times that the SS is cheaper to insure versus the V6?
I have the best rate with all discounts from my insurance company and mine is about 1600 a year.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznyfn View Post
I have the best rate with all discounts from my insurance company and mine is about 1600 a year.
WOW. Man, that is rough. Mine is just $65/month. I'm 38 years old, married, and have a pretty much flawless driving record, though. So surely mine wouldn't hike up that much, would it??
Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
Quote:
On the way to lunch today at work, I drove by the Chevy dealer which is just about a block away from work [it's where I bought my Camaro, too], and noticed a Victory Red SS out in the used lot. I contacted my sales guy and he gave me a price on it that sounded kinda high. But he said I should come take a look. So I go up there after work and this thing is ragged out. Scratches all over it, completely bald tires, scuffs on the interior [it's a 2SS, so it was leather, obviously]. But I figured I'd at least take it for a spin...

So yea, it was a fun ride. The exhaust tone was a little disappointing, but that can always be upgraded, of course. It was fast, but honestly, not quite as fast as I was expecting for whatever reason. Maybe I just drive my V6 a little harder than I thought I did.

Anyway, after the test drive, I went inside to talk about numbers on a new 1SS/RS which they didn't have in stock currently. Even with my negative equity on my V6, my payments would have been around $650 a month, and that's without me haggling yet, so I know I can get it lower than that. And that's just about $100 a month more than I pay now. I'm not rich or well off by any means, so that extra $100 a month is going to be a decent hit to my wallet. So my question to all the V8 owners is, what kind of real world EXTRA expenses can I expect to have going from a V6 other than fuel cost? I know the oil changes are more expensive, but how much more is that? I'm not a DIY guy with that kind of stuff, so doing it by myself isn't an option for me, unfortunately. Are any other normal maintenance things way more money? What about the Brembos? Are they expensive to replace when their time comes?

Also, did any of you V6 owners drive an SS later on down the road and decide to not trade up? I'm really on the fence about it. I love my car so much, it would suck if I didn't get a crazy amount of joy out of the V8. I'm not trying to stir up a V6 vs. V8 thread. I have a V6 and I love it, so I can't be convinced that they suck because I know they don't.

Oh yea, and I'm trying to convince my wife of why I "need" a V8, too... :/

Thanks for the input, guys.
are you looking to get a m6 or an a6? i'd suggest get the m6 because 1) i didnt and i regret every second of it, and 2) the afm will drive you crazy, and it only gets worse with exhaust mods
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
It was fast, but honestly, not quite as fast as I was expecting for whatever reason.
You are only the 50th V6 owner to think this after the first SS test drive, myself included.

Once it became my car and I started playing with it at my leisure it became quite obvious.

It will annihilate your V6.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2212 View Post
are you looking to get a m6 or an a6? i'd suggest get the m6 because 1) i didnt and i regret every second of it, and 2) the afm will drive you crazy, and it only gets worse with exhaust mods
Yea, I've gotta get the A6 because I'm so short. Otherwise, I'll be sitting right up on the steering wheel looking like a d-bag. :/
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
You are only the 50th V6 owner to think this after the first SS test drive, myself included.

Once it became my car and I started playing with it at my leisure it became quite obvious.

It will annihilate your V6.
You're right, I'm sure.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
Dznyfn

Quote:
WOW. Man, that is rough. Mine is just $65/month. I'm 38 years old, married, and have a pretty much flawless driving record, though. So surely mine wouldn't hike up that much, would it??
46yo, married, zero tickets on record, camaro listed as pleasure, safe driver discount, multi vehicle discount, home owners discount, extremely high credit rating, so....

I also never asked what a V6 rate would be