Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Tired of trolls? Please use the following methods!

The trolls seem to be ruining quite a few threads here. For those who really appreciate this forum as a place to spread and share their knowledge and enthusiasm for the Z/28, I have the following suggestions.

I really like hanging out here, and my purpose in posting this is to make this a better place to hang out. Some people may enjoy the pissing matches, but IMHO this tends to ruin the quality of Camaro5:

1. Do NOT feed the trolls! If you ignore them and don't respond, they go away. If you take the bait, they thrive -- and ruin the thread they're crapping in.

2. Even better is the foolproof way to de-troll your Camaro5 experience. This is my favorite Troll-Be-Gone® method:
• Click on the troll's username, on the left of their post and above their avatar
• Select "View Public Profile" on the drop down menu
• On the profile page, there are two drop down arrows just under the username
• Select "User Lists"
• On the drop down select "Add to Ignore List"
• You will never see the troll's posts again, unless someone else quotes them in a reply.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Old 09-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Yes! Spirited debate is good. People have to realize this is a Camaro site. If you don't like Camaros you probably don't belong.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Bravo. I may not drive a Camaro...yet, but I always loved Chevy and Camaro in particular. And, I love this forum and the sister forum, Camaro6.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
Is it against Forum rules to make a list of the trolls?
Don't know enough people on here yet to know which ones to avoid, most screen names are the same to me, until I can place a face to the name that is.
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin View Post
Don't know enough people on here yet to know which ones to avoid, most screen names are the same to me, until I can place a face to the name that is.
I think if people ignore trolls -- and block the ones they find objectionable -- then the trolls wither and die. These folks feed off of making other people mad, and find other venues when they don't get a response. IMHO, of course.

I've been on great forums that were ruined by trolls, and I really don't want to see the same happen here. Oddly enough, I've heard that forum owners actually benefit from trolls, since that can drive up post counts/pageview and, therefore, their advertising revenue. Ironic given that this can also ruin and destroy a forum, if not kept in check...
Old 09-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Well it would be difficult to maintain. Lots of people have been called a troll that were not. I have been called one a few times by some newer members.... I usually say yeah I am a troll that has been here since 2007.
The true trolls usually get identified fairly quickly and earn a permanent ban.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
It really is annoying, there are a handful that are not trolls but are Camaro owners that have their nose out of joint and jealous they cannot afford one.
2014 Z/28 Black VIN #176
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
My recommendation, on top of what has already been said, is that you notify a moderator if there is someone you think is trolling. We can keep an eye out for them, issue infractions, and eventually boot them from the site if need be. And if you are reluctant to 'tattle' and would rather just block a troll, keep in mind that while it solves the problem for you, there are thousands of users plus countless guests on the site that won't be blocking that person. We can get rid of them for everyone.

Now, please bear in mind that when you PM us/report the post we might not take immediate action (aside from deleting the post). In the case of trolling, it can often take quite a while before we have 'enough' to get rid of them. On the other hand we might have known about them for some time and could simply be waiting for them to make just more mistake before we kick them off the site for good.

Quote:
There are no rules against that specifically, but I wouldn't recommend making a public thread for that. In fact, I would probably delete any such thread I saw.

Now, for your personal reference? Do what you have to do. Just keep in mind that if you are unfamiliar with the members, it could be very easy to label someone a troll when they aren't. It takes time and experience to know whats normal on the site, and how certain people present themselves.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:

What seems "troll" to one person, may not be to another. Creating a "list" of names based on what, opinions? It is better for you to judge on your own and if someone's posts are irritating to you, then feel free to block them. I have had to block one individual on here who is not even a troll, but they took something I said once the wrong way and they started being a total ARSE to me. So be it, they don't exist to my eyes any more... heh. At any rate, judge for yourself whose posts may irritate you, but keep in mind that a "troll" and an "irritating person" are often two different things.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

Last edited by pickwithaustin; 09-14-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: corrected spelling "there" to "here"
pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
While it's everyone's personal decision as to who they place on their ignore list, a public list of suspected trolls would be too subjective, disruptive, and of no real value. Some may see you as a troll if you simply disagree with their views. That list could be pages long for no good reason. This ain't "Angie's List".

Along DGthe3's lines, people present themselves differently in different situations. Someone disagreeing with you is not cause for "troll control" but if they start to resort to name calling and personal attacks, then by all means, report them. There's no room for that, ever.

And keep an eye out for smilies, and "j/k"s, and such, because there's always a truckload of sarcasm from all of the quick-witted and comical members. A lot of times, issues are created by something taken out of context.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
What seems "troll" to one person, may not be to another. Creating a "list" of names based on what, opinions? It is better for you to judge on your own and if someone's posts are irritating to you, then feel free to block them. I have had to block one individual on there who is not even a troll, but they took something I said once the wrong way and they started being a total ARSE to me. So be it, they don't exist to my eyes any more... heh. At any rate, judge for yourself whose posts may irritate you, but keep in mind that a "troll" and an "irritating person" are often two different things.
Good points. Unfortunately, in my experience, a lot of people are unable to separate logic from emotion. Folks on this site run the gamut from those who think the Camaro is just a car like any other to those that are die-hard enthusiasts who live and breathe all things Camaro. To the latter, many of those who are in the first group or more in the middle say and do things that tend to irritate them and those individuals simply consider them as "trolls" when they are likely not.

As was suggested earlier, if a user gets on your personal nerves, just put them on your ignore list. Unless you are just one of those people that has to have the last word, put a person in their "place" or just can't handle an opinion different than your own, you'll be fine.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Pretty sure trolls are part of any forum. The best thing to do is ignore them. They aren't going away.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Sometimes they are entertaining. :P
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote