Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
xracer1957

Drives: 2010 2ss
wheel hop-what to do to stop

just looking at the best arms to install on my 6 speed ss,would like to add some power adder to this later in my camaros life.

thanks Mark
xracer1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Everyone is going to tell you that whatever they have on their car is the best. You just need to look at the different Mfg and make your own decisions based on quality and price.

I went with Spohn and have been completely happy. Had wheel hop at the track and these took it away. Of course rearend bushings are going to be something to consider as well as Toe Rods. My personal take is Trailing Arms first....they are cheapest and easy to install. Then Rearend bushings. Then Toe Rods.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=spohn
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
I don't lnow what you have done to your car already but I would start with the rear sub frame bushings and the rear diff. bushings they are a must do on the new camaro's if you are doing any type of racing,then build from there.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Give this article from our blog a read. It explains what all contributes to wheel hop and gives stepped recommendations for curing it. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I have BMR rear trailing arms and no wheel hop.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Give this article from our blog a read. It explains what all contributes to wheel hop and gives stepped recommendations for curing it. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up.
--------------------------------------
niCe one mate
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
There are a few ways to go about getting rid of wheel hop and every situation is different depending on certain variables. I would start out by putting a set of BMR trailing arms (TCA026) on the car, they are inexpensive and very easy to install and a lot of times will completely take care of wheel hop. If the car is a manual transmision car or is making a good bit of power it may take more like our BMR toe rods (TR002) and BMR pro rear cradle bushing kit (BK030). Give us some details on the car and I can definitely lead you in the right direction.

Kyle
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
shocks ... Talk to Sam Strano...look him up on the internet.. auto-x champ for years and fbody suspension guru.. he'll tell you shocks are the answer
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
Spohn here , no wheel hop.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
We have had a ton of customers come to us with this very same problem. We are happy to say that our trailing arm solution mitigates any type of wheel hop you have, just like the article that Chase posted.

The Pfadt trailing arm takes a different approach to the design, and comes with the added bonus of being licensed by General Motors Performance Parts. Take a look below.

Designing this part to be both lighter weight and higher strength then the factory component proved to be rather difficult, but was well worth the time involved, as we feel it resulted in the best replacement trailing arm on the market.

Here are some details:
300% strength increase in tension and compression
65% reduction in deflection
20% weight reduction each, including bushings (take a look at the comparison pictures!)
Grease fitting for easy lubrication
Polyurethane trailing arm bushing kit is included
Powder coated silver

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Wheel hop isn't just one part. It is in the drive-line and suspension. It is influenced by driving style, wheels and tires. It is a harmonic instability that starts small and reverberates, grows and finally explodes into potentially destructive vibration. Before we start selling you parts, maybe we should ask you about your particular situation?

1. What is your RWHP?
2. What is your wheel and tire package?
3. Is the wheel hop at the track or on the street?
4. Is the wheel hop temperature sensitive? ie. cold days, goes away when your tires are hot...
5. What RPMs are you luanching at?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_h View Post
--------------------------------------
niCe one mate
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but if you read the article it more than answers the questions in his title and in his post. In part...

Quote:
Curing Camaro Wheel Hop

All the horsepower in the world will not make your car faster if it can not transfer that power to the pavement. 5th generation Camaro SS owners, especially those with cars that are extensively modified, are quickly learning this due to the dreaded “wheel hop”. Wheel hop is a violent and potentially damaging condition that typically occurs when the car is launched aggressively and has been described as feeling like the rear tires are driving rapidly over rail road ties. It is very simply a rapid and repeated loss and recovery of traction.

When a car begins to accelerate various bushings and suspension/chassis components deflect. Under normal driving conditions this flexing is negligible but when the car is launched aggressively the deflection causes significant toe changes which reduce the contact patch of the rear tires. This leads to a reduction in traction and momentary wheel slippage which alleviates the toe changes and allows the rear tires to regrip. The vicious circle then continues as the suddenly improved traction again results in deflection and toe changes leading to wheel slippage. The frequency of the cycle is so rapid that it feels like the rear of the car is riding on jack hammers.

The Fix

Getting rid of wheel hop is pretty easy for most Camaro SS owners. It is all about limiting the movement of the rear tires in relation to the chassis under acceleration.....
It goes on to provide specific recommendations for different scenarios.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
Pfadt rear trailng arms
Pfadt rear tie rods
Pfadt rear trailing arms
Pfadt rear lower control arm reinforcement bracket
Kooks Long tube headers and high flow cats
Airaid Cold air intake
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Mti short throw shifter
Jannetty tune
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #14
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
All the suspension vendors here will provide a good solution for wheel hop by providing their rear trailing arms.

The main question you want to ask yourself is: "Which one looks the best?"

My answer: PFADT

They look awesome under your car cause they resemble a real structural member.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote