Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida

Old 02-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Looking for a Clay Bar detailer Orlando or Flagler Beach

Looking for recommendations for a detailer who can clay bar my car at a customers house - can be at either Orlando or Flagler Beach as both have garages - location will depend on where the detailer will be traveling from.

Thanks

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
cal45

No one ????
Old 02-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Looks like you're gonna have to buy a clay bar yourself. . Adam's polished is having a new product sale right now, and they've introduced a new clay bar!

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
cal45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosted View Post
Looks like you're gonna have to buy a clay bar yourself. . Adam's polished is having a new product sale right now, and they've introduced a new clay bar!
LOL - yeah, as I have never clayed a car before I was looking to pay to have someone with experience (professional) do it but I didn't want to randomly choose someone.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
tdtwiggy

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS Convertible
I took a clay bar to my Camaro about 3 weeks ago and I had never done this before either. All of the cars I had owned previously were "beaters" so there was never a need for me to do this.

It did take some time, but the results were dramatic. I bought my Camaro used about a month ago and the original owner had never had it detailed or waxed so there was quite a bit of debris lodged in the clear coat. You can feel it if you put a sandwich bag over your hand and lightly rub your paint. Mine felt like 40 grit sandpaper...

I personally went with the Meguiars clay bar (I'm sure any detail-quality clay will do) and lubricant and I was pretty happy with how easy it was. It was very easy to do. Time-consuming -- yes, but it was totally worth it.

Here's how it works:
  1. You need a detailing clay bar, some lubricant and a microfiber cloth. For the lube, I used a spray bottle of Quick Detailer.
  2. Cut off 1/3 of the clay bar (wrap up the rest so it doesn't get dirty) and flatten it out into a 4" square.
  3. I started with the hood, picked a spot about 18"x18" and sprayed on just enough lube so that the clay wouldn't stick to the surface.
  4. Then I lightly and quickly rubbed the clay back and forth. I could feel the debris catching in the clay as I rubbed and I continued until I couldn't feel it anymore.
  5. I would visually inspect the spot I had just done and if I saw any specs, I would rub a bit harder on that spot of come at it from different angles until I got it out or I gave up.
  6. Then I would wipe off the lube with the microfiber cloth and run my hand over it. The surface will feel satin-smooth. Then I moved to the next spot. Since my car was so bad, it took me nearly 6 hours to do the entire car.
  7. Once you're done, your car will need a good polish to fill in the tiny holes left by the debris after it was pulled out by the clay, followed up by a wax.
Three weeks later, my car is still silky smooth and looks fantastic! My advice is to save your money and do this yourself. You must give it a polish immediately afterward though in order to fill the microscopic holes in your clear coat! If you don't own an orbit polisher I would recommend having someone else do that.

Have fun!
Old 02-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
Chris-10

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
LOL - yeah, as I have never clayed a car before I was looking to pay to have someone with experience (professional) do it but I didn't want to randomly choose someone.

It's not hard & you really can't screw anything up. I can do my car in about 4 hrs start to finish. Get ya some cold frosty beverages & have at it.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
cal45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-10 View Post
It's not hard & you really can't screw anything up. I can do my car in about 4 hrs start to finish. Get ya some cold frosty beverages & have at it.
Well, the time it takes (to do it right) is the main issue for me as I wear a prosthetic leg (thanks to a motorcycle accident 34yrs ago) and navigating around my car up and down for 4 hrs will be, to say the least - uncomfortable. I do appreciate the response, though.

Appreciate the detailed response, tdtwiggy

Old 02-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
These guys are one of our club sponsors and can do exactly what you want: www.mobileempiredetailing.com
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #9
cal45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnLSS View Post
These guys are one of our club sponsors and can do exactly what you want: www.mobileempiredetailing.com
Thanks - appreciate the response.