Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
SPickering

Drives: 2013 camaro convertable 2ss
Up grade stereo question

I have a 2013 vert. I want to upgrade the stereo and have little to no knowledge. Im looking at the scosche or metra kit. First question is can the factory stereo work with either the scosche or metra kit? I see that there are several different screen sizes on double din after market stereo's. Does it matter what screen size I buy or does the kits only fit one size. I see 8.0, 7.0, and 6.1. Would hate to buy one and then not fit. Thanks for your help
SPickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPickering View Post
I have a 2013 vert. I want to upgrade the stereo and have little to no knowledge. Im looking at the scosche or metra kit. First question is can the factory stereo work with either the scosche or metra kit? I see that there are several different screen sizes on double din after market stereo's. Does it matter what screen size I buy or does the kits only fit one size. I see 8.0, 7.0, and 6.1. Would hate to buy one and then not fit. Thanks for your help
Can you be a little more specific?

Are you saying you want to get rid of the MyLink indash infotainment unit?

Just as an FYI..you're going to lose a lot of functionality if you do this..its not just your stereo that you'll be removing here...your backup camera and related backups sensors and a few other things are all connected to the factory stereo.

I dont think ive ever heard of someone ditching the factory indash MyLink setup for an aftermarket solution like the 2010-2012 guys can and have done, but im sure it IS possible.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
SPickering

Drives: 2013 camaro convertable 2ss
I thought there would be adapters that would still allow everything to function the same. If the functions would not work then I wouldn't change out. I know my friend upgraded his 2011 vert and his steering functions still work. Just thought it would be the same. Thank you
SPickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
BigPopa71

Drives: Dark Knight
I had a the Scosche kit with a full aftermarket system in a 2011 and it was awesome but im sorry mylink factory function os better than aftermarket. I changed everything else but the mylink is staying
BigPopa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
The screen size is irrelevant. You go by the actual radio size, which in this case is usually double din.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
sabraitis

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Guys, I too want to change the amp, but want to be sure I don't lose any of the stock functionality. Had a bad experience with my vette when I did an upgraded (had a Bose system and installer told me after the entire job that I won't have on-star and other functionality).

Basically want to keep the front end, all functionality but improve power/sound then speakers at a later date.

Please advise.
sabraitis is offline   Reply With Quote