Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Those with Pfadt Rear Swaybars installed - Check your endlink nuts!!!!

Just as the title says ... I checked mine the other day and found one nut missing .. I checked the other side, it was still tight, but it doesn't look like there is much thread that goes into that nut and it could easily back off!! As pointed out below .. probably anyone with aftermarket sways that didn't update the endlinks (maybe they have longer studs??) .. should check.... Not meant to offend anyone or any company!!

Crowley
Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
I had another person sways, and after 2 months i saw that the entire main body to bar bushing was no where to be found...things happens when we subject our cars to hard body roll and speed....i would say anyone with after market parts should check stuff out on GP.
Glad u saw this on good terms
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Crowley
Okie doke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipimpthisc View Post
I had another person sways, and after 2 months i saw that the entire main body to bar bushing was no where to be found...things happens when we subject our cars to hard body roll and speed....i would say anyone with after market parts should check stuff out on GP.
Glad u saw this on good terms
Thanks .. and your right ... Edited the original post to state this would probably be a good check for anyone that updated the sways without updating the end links (which I'm guessing have a bit longer stud??).

Crowley
Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Had it happen on my eibach sway actually boogered threads
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
This is why blue loctite is a must when bolting on suspension parts. I keep a bottle or stick of it around.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Crowley
Okie doke

Does anyone know if the aftermarket end links have longer bolts?

Crowley
Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
MRGOODWRENCH3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Aftermarket links come with longer bolts with lock nuts.
MRGOODWRENCH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Putting on these larger, stiffer aftermarket bars using stock hardware is a big no-no. The stock end and center links are designed for the much weaker stock bars. The extra stress from the stronger bars is probably why you are experiencing failures. Plus, what MRGOODWRENCH3 said about the aftermarket links having longer bolts and the Pfadt endlinks come with nylon nuts.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Crowley
Okie doke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Putting on these larger, stiffer aftermarket bars using stock hardware is a big no-no. The stock end and center links are designed for the much weaker stock bars. The extra stress from the stronger bars is probably why you are experiencing failures. Plus, what MRGOODWRENCH3 said about the aftermarket links having longer bolts and the Pfadt endlinks come with nylon nuts.
Not sure that aftermarket endlinks were out yet when I had my sways put on as it was a while back ... I've had the car since June 2009 ..

Good to know though and I'll be picking them up ..

Crowley
Old 10-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
This is why blue loctite is a must when bolting on suspension parts. I keep a bottle or stick of it around.
Yes. always use a bit of blue loctite on everything and this wont happen.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
Sales @ ECS

Drives: 2011 CG 2SS
We always use a dab of blue loctite on these suspension components and make sure they are torqued to proper bolt torque. This should avoid any problems like these.

The HD end links have a longer stud to them than the factory ones. However, you are better off running the HD end links if you are running the sway bars in my opinion. This will take full advantage of the aftermarket sway bar. I have a set of the HD end links on my car, nice and quiet operation, and I am running the drag bar in the back right now on setting 3 (stiff).

We sell all of the Pfadt product line so if you need a set of end links you can PM me for pricing.
Sales @ ECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Our endlink kits will definitely take care of your issues. We recommend upgrading your endlinks when ever doing a sway bar upgrade, they really will allow you to get the most out of your new improved roll stiffness without worrying about potentially bending the stock endlinks. If you do decide to reuse the stock endlinks a dab of blue loctite is a great idea. If you're using our Camaro endlinks we include heavy duty flange nuts which will stay in place when properly torqued.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
We've seen this happen with stock endlinks as well as some aftermarket endlinks. The best links on the market currently are the new Pfadt endlinks. They have the most innovative design and they are quiet.

I also suggest getting a good reinforcement plate on the rear lower C-Arm tab as well when using heavier rate aftermarket sways.

Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions or for pricing.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #14
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
I have Pfadt sport sway bar working with my stock endlinks for almost a year with no problems so far.

Are they expected to bend on normal street driving or competitive driving or they will bend anyway ??