Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #127
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJIOMSS View Post
There's too many variables to determine what causes the chips. My father has a '11 rally yellow convertible with 20k miles and it is riddled with paint chips, both on the front of the vehicle, a-pillar, and rear quarters. I just got my '10 IOM and it has 22k miles on it, not one noticeable rock chip. No exaggeration. His car looks real bad once inspected up close. It's embarrassing that he paid over $40k for that car and in a year and a half it looks that way. To say that he is upset about it is an understatement. Take it back to the dealer and they look at you like you have three heads. "Well you drive the car, don't you?" Unreal! They get away with putting out an inferior product in some aspects I would say. Is there any help or recourse with this issue?
They look at him like that cause it's his fault, his driving habits that cause it..
All these paints on any of the cars today are water based, less durable thats a fact.
But they still last if you take care of them right and 90 percent of peoples problems are there DRIVING habits, that is also a FACT!!
The one you just purchased the guy obviously took care of and didn't follow construction vehicles everyday like your dad...

Give him a helpful hint though.....Next time he buys a new 40k plus car, invest in a clear bra, he obviously needs one......
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #128
1BadAction
Because: Street Car!!!

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaterMan View Post
as a former 2010 Camaro owner and a former 2011 Mustang 5.0 and currently a 2013 Mustang 5.0 owner i can honestly say from my experience that the camaro had worse paint than either of my mustangs and it wasnt even close. my camaro had many paint chips after 2 months and my 2011 mustang only had one chip after a year and 11000 miles. my 2013 has none and it's been 7 months. same roads and same type of driving.. I have a buddy who owns a camaro and he was complaining about the paint within 2 weeks of buying it..it's NOT the epa regs it's all GM.
The mid-2000s mustangs had some of the most horrible paint and prep out there. A good friend of mine had his hood repainted multiple times under warranty due to blistering, and he was the type that kept his car immaculately detailed all of the time. So be extremely careful denigrating GM, because it happens to ALL OF THEM.
1BadAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #129
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
had my camaro for almost a year, it had about three microscopic chips on it when i bought it, 8,000 miles later, they are still the only chips on the car, a little tip when it rains and you drive your car, little rocks stick to the tires and fling to the gill area, so that being said, I stay my arse out of the rain.
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #130
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Drives: '13 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
If my paint gets too bad I may have my car wrapped in flat black
JBA 3" CAT-BACK Model 40-3114
Cold Air Inductions intake (near-chrome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-6g...ujjgV9wZo9jnXw

Quote:
I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"
ebaugh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #131
1BadAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11fastss View Post
a little tip when it rains and you drive your car, little rocks stick to the tires and fling to the gill area, so that being said, I stay my arse out of the rain.
If you drive a 1LE or ZL1, there's no avoiding it, the Eagle F1 Supercars are like gumballs when warm and they pick up every tiny bit or rock or shell.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #132
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
If you drive a 1LE or ZL1, there's no avoiding it, the Eagle F1 Supercars are like gumballs when warm and they pick up every tiny bit or rock or shell.
Paint protection film - problem solved!!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #133
RoadMonkey
that's how we do it

Drives: '20 ZL1 / A10 Shadow Gray
Quote:
this is so true! but, my paint is all good so far!
[COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=black]'02 Camaro SS/SLP 6spd
RoadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #134
1BadAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
Paint protection film - problem solved!!
I'm thinking about it... but, ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog360 View Post
this is so true! but, my paint is all good so far!
How many miles? The good thing about the supercars is they may pick up the little things, but the big stones will only get lodged in the inner tread, if they get stuck in the tires at all. The General Grabbers on my TBSS picked up marble sized rocks and flung them everywhere.

I already hit a tree branch the size of a baseball bat at 65+ didn't appear to cause any problems but I was freaking out.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #135
G4M3OVR

Drives: '05 OB Neon SRT4, '13 IOM ZL1
Only 3500 miles on my Z and the front end already looks like some kids used it for target practice with their airsoft guns. The gill area looks fine but damn I thought I had more time to get some clear bra on the front. My SRT4 has about the same amount of chips and it's 8 years old and lowered.
G4M3OVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #136
CRTZL1
Banned

[QUOTE=1BadAction;6315698]I'm thinking about it... but, ugh.

I'm getting mine done asap when this stupid snow is gone. I'm going to place called Ziebart...10 Year warranty against debris and chips/scratches and life time warranty on the film itself(ex. yellowing)..normally 2k package , getting it for a 1K........
From every bit a research I have done it is TOTALLY worth it!! Pretty excited actually to never have to worry about blemishes again..

The more I think about it this should be the first mod to anyone's new car, who is passionate about it!!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #137
NJIOMSS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
The more I think about it this should be the first mod to anyone's new car, who is passionate about it!![/QUOTE]

Or for anybody who wants to follow construction vehicles everyday. Haha Sorry man, couldn't resist.

Back on topic, Ziebart is a very reputable service. They also do undercoatings. Great for work trucks. They've been in business for years. A small price to pay if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long time.
NJIOMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #138
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
I'm thinking about it... but, ugh.

How many miles? The good thing about the supercars is they may pick up the little things, but the big stones will only get lodged in the inner tread, if they get stuck in the tires at all. The General Grabbers on my TBSS picked up marble sized rocks and flung them everywhere.

I already hit a tree branch the size of a baseball bat at 65+ didn't appear to cause any problems but I was freaking out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJIOMSS View Post
The more I think about it this should be the first mod to anyone's new car, who is passionate about it!!
Or for anybody who wants to follow construction vehicles everyday. Haha Sorry man, couldn't resist.

Back on topic, Ziebart is a very reputable service. They also do undercoatings. Great for work trucks. They've been in business for years. A small price to pay if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long time.[/QUOTE]

.....NiCe!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #139
HeaterMan

Drives: 2018 PP GT
Quote:
The mid-2000s mustangs had some of the most horrible paint and prep out there. A good friend of mine had his hood repainted multiple times under warranty due to blistering, and he was the type that kept his car immaculately detailed all of the time. So be extremely careful denigrating GM, because it happens to ALL OF THEM.

well all i know is i have had 1 new camaro and 2 different late model mustangs and have driven all the same way on the same roads and only the Camaro suffered chips. Dont get me wrong, i am a GM guy but the paint issue was a huge sore spot for me.

2016 Scat Pack Challenger (gone 1-6-2018)
2013 Mustang GT Auto(sold)
2013 Track pack Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2011 Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2010 Camaro SS 6M ( sold)13.36 @109
HeaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote