Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Anyone upgrade the supercharger on their LSA?

I'm considering selling one of my SS' and picking up a ZL1 and doing some performance upgrades to it, but I don't want to delve into the bottom end immediately, so I was wondering has anyone here replaced the stock supercharger on their LSA with a larger one? I was looking at D3 Cadillac . com and they offer "ultracharger" (their fancy name for a bigger, better SC) upgrades for CTS-Vs, any other companies offer something similar? Or would I be better off just purchasing a whipple 2.9 tuner kit and doing it custom? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
ex-SS-ve

from here the only other way I would go is to the 2.3 supercharger found on the ls9. if I wanted to put a whipple on something it would be a ss. not a zl1.
ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
I was in the same boat as you considering making the same event. There is a lot of information out there. There's a company that does offer an upgrade to a Whipple if you look up CTS-V supercharger upgrade. However, if you do enough of research you're going to come across a lot of two-way streets in the meaning that there are a lot of opinions. After careful consideration I decided that I should just continue working on what I have now. Livernois, LPE, companies like that have upgrade components, but nothing about replacing the actual blower itself. Do even more research, you'll find two things. 1.) One nut on here decided to put a 4.0 Whipple on successfully (somewhat) and 2.) The 1.9L Eaton can put out a lot of power.

What made you think of doing something like this?
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve View Post
from here the only other way I would go is to the 2.3 supercharger found on the ls9. if I wanted to put a whipple on something it would be a ss. not a zl1.
Wouldn't work. The LS9 is a completely different motor and that 2.3L is made specifically for that. The LSA is a new motor altogether. Both are 6.2L, but you can't swap blowers and call it a day. It's not like Ford where if you don't like your blower, you can get a Whipple and still be slow.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
There will be a drop on Magnason 2300 that will bolt right on.We are taking deposits now and they should be ready in dec..Give me a call and ill give you the info...980 521 0722 Thomas
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
I was in the same boat as you considering making the same event. There is a lot of information out there. There's a company that does offer an upgrade to a Whipple if you look up CTS-V supercharger upgrade. However, if you do enough of research you're going to come across a lot of two-way streets in the meaning that there are a lot of opinions. After careful consideration I decided that I should just continue working on what I have now. Livernois, LPE, companies like that have upgrade components, but nothing about replacing the actual blower itself. Do even more research, you'll find two things. 1.) One nut on here decided to put a 4.0 Whipple on successfully (somewhat) and 2.) The 1.9L Eaton can put out a lot of power.

What made you think of doing something like this?
Thanks for the response, I too have been doing a lot of research. The thing is, personally I don't like going into the stock bottom end that much as that's where I see things going very wrong, also things I like about the ZL1 are the magnetic suspension, the stronger axles/drive train and things like that. I believe I would like to go this route so that I can safely make around 800 RWHP keeping boost reasonable and supplementing it with full bolt-ons allowing me to reach those power levels. I want to make something of a Z/28 fighter that will be good on the strip if I needed it to be, but also just dominate on the track. I'm looking at going full Pedders track 2 minus the coilovers but with their springs on the magne-rhetorical dampers.

Quote:
Wouldn't work. The LS9 is a completely different motor and that 2.3L is made specifically for that. The LSA is a new motor altogether. Both are 6.2L, but you can't swap blowers and call it a day. It's not like Ford where if you don't like your blower, you can get a Whipple and still be slow.
Really? I believe I had seen many companies offering this upgrade, here is a link to one of those: http://www.fastlaneturbo.com/cts-vzr...erupgrade.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
There will be a drop on Magnason 2300 that will bolt right on.We are taking deposits now and they should be ready in dec..Give me a call and ill give you the info...980 521 0722 Thomas
Thank you for the offer, but I'm not a really a fan of roots blowers, that's part of why I'm looking to change.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Supermaro54

Drives: 68,87,99 camaro,07TBSS
Quote:
Shop in Texas(not sure who else) has been making the 2300 from the ls9 work on the CTSVs for a while now. All this While using the LSA accessories. A buddy of mine from Jersey should have dyno results tomorrow on his.
1987 Camaro Iroc-Z, ZR1 blower, TR6060, S60
1968 Camaro SS, YSI 427 ERL in the works.
Supermaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Keep the SS and put some boost on it. Mine makes 570rwhp with a ECS 1500 and LTs.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #9
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
When you mentioned a whipple I assumed you just wanted more umph...Just keep in mind this car is 4000lbs and roots work quite well at that weight..If you look on truck forums you dont see much talk about centris...I love my 800plus rwhp my 2300 gives me but im sure I would love a 1500hp centri too lol..If I can help you with anything just ask
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
You want 800whp, but you don't want to do anything to the bottom end? Good luck with that one...

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
800rwhp on an LSA isn't bad. You could add twins. Either ditch to stock blower or just compound boost it. Feed the blower with twins.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
2SS45th

You don't want to use a blower as the secondary in a compound setup, they make great primaries, but not secondaries. It's been attempted in the diesel world before, and the blower ends up failing.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
You don't want to use a blower as the secondary in a compound setup, they make great primaries, but not secondaries. It's been attempted in the diesel world before, and the blower ends up failing.
And mustang people have been doing it for years with termis and gt500s without issues. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it is doable and can make good power. I know a guy with a 2008 GT500 with twins. Stock blower and twins makes 850rwhp.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
2SS45th

At that point just ditch the blower, why overcomplicate things? Get an LS3 manifold and a shorter belt, then let her rip.

Tags
lsa, supercharger, upgrade, zl1