Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
rowerybo

Drives: explorer
first purchase

This is my first vehicle purchase. What are the pros and cons of buying in the lot vs ordering? Thanks in advance, this forum has been a huge help in the process, especially with not having to take dealer Bul*****.
rowerybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Just a few (it's early in the morning):

Pros:
  • No waiting for build/shipment
  • Often better deals due to lot inventory
  • Actually drive the exact car before purchase
Cons:
  • Sometimes difficult to find desired configuration
  • Test drive mileage/wear
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Carver1

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
I have ordered cars in the past. The wait is awful. Unless you are wanting a combo that no one else likes or is very odd, just search for the one you want. If it takes you a month of searching, you are still getting it quicker than ordering.
Also, the dealer is more likely to haggle with something they can touch on the lot, rather than building one just for you. Having them locate one is kind of the middle of the road. If they need a sale, they will negotiate.
If you order it, and put down a deposit. You are pretty much paying sticker for it.

It only took me a few days to find my perfect car. It was 200 miles away, and I couldn't be happier.

Carver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver1 View Post
If you order it, and put down a deposit. You are pretty much paying sticker for it.
Not true. A sale is a sale, and they make money on it regardless. Yes it helps to move inventory, but if you only want to factory order, and hold your ground, you can find a dealer willing to deal.

Mine was a factory order and I ended up getting it for 500 under invoice.

If you are going into this knowing exactly what options you want, trim level, color, trans, etc (like me) finding one that you want is almost impossible and factory order is your only option in some cases.

But if you are going into it just wanting a "Camaro", then ya, hit the lots, find one that tickles your fancy, deal, and drive away with it that day. After 14 weeks and counting waiting on mine, I only wished that was an option.
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
exflirt
Corvette Goddess

Drives: Soon - 2015 Z06 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver1 View Post
I have ordered cars in the past. The wait is awful. Unless you are wanting a combo that no one else likes or is very odd, just search for the one you want. If it takes you a month of searching, you are still getting it quicker than ordering.
Also, the dealer is more likely to haggle with something they can touch on the lot, rather than building one just for you. Having them locate one is kind of the middle of the road. If they need a sale, they will negotiate.

It only took me a few days to find my perfect car. It was 200 miles away, and I couldn't be happier.

The wait is difficult, but for those of us who are a bit "older" (and/or wiser?) we have found that it usually is better to exercise a little patience and get what we want rather than settle for something that is "this close." I can't imagine paying all that money for something that is not exactly what I want. But then I'm not 20 with Instant Gratification Syndrome anymore.

And I would guess that either you have never ordered a vehicle or you are not very good at it, as I have never, ever paid sticker for an ordered vehicle. I've paid both $200 over invoice and invoice for my ordered cars. Dealers are very happy to work with me to make a sale, and as a matter of fact, are extremely happy to have a sold vehicle that won't sit on the lot, meaning they get to pocket the entire holdback.

For young'uns who need things NOW, finding one locally that will be good enough may be their choice - and there are certainly other situations that would indicate buying off the lot as the preferred option. But if you don't really know what you're talking about, don't spew erroneous information out to people asking for help.
8.26.2014 - Deposit placed with Mike Furman @ Criswell Corvette in MD for 2015 2LZ Laguna Blue Z06 Convertible, navigation, carbon flash gfx, carbon flash stinger stripe, spectra gray wheels, dark gray calipers, gray interior, suede seat inserts. EXCITED is an understatement!
exflirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowerybo View Post
This is my first vehicle purchase. What are the pros and cons of buying in the lot vs ordering? Thanks in advance, this forum has been a huge help in the process, especially with not having to take dealer Bul*****.
Ordering;
PROS:
-Get the Camaro exactly how you want it. (Which is a big thing for some people.)
-Get to track it ever step of the way.
-Be the first person to drive it. (Other than the people at the factory.)

CONS:
-The wait.
-May get it exactly at MSRP. (This depends on the dealer.

Lot;
PROS:
-No wait.
-Could bring down the price.

CONS:
-Other people could have driven it before.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
if you have another car that needs to be sold (and not traded in), ordering is difficult because of the timing. you might sell your car too soon and not have a car until the ordered one comes in, or you might not sell the car in time...
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote