Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
RaceToEmbrace

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Question Turbo vs Supercharger?

I'm looking for a forced induction system but not sure what to go with... I can achieve 400+hp with both, but I'm wondering which is better for my v6 Camaro.. I'm thinking between IPF supercharger or STS turbo.. Turbo or Supercharger?
RaceToEmbrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
For the same money you could upgrade to a SS.
Plus you will lose big on your mod dollar investment when its time to sell the V6.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
I am biased but Turbo is the way to go. More efficient and no parasetic drain from an added pulley. Turbos have been proven to produce more power at the same PSI of boost too.

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
We do single turbo, twin turbo, and Paxton centrificul super chargers for these.

Here is a good thread and there is a ton of info in the V6 FI section as well.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259858

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Plus you will lose big on your mod dollar investment when its time to sell the V6.
This 100%.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Drives: 13 ZL1 , 14 Silverado Crew Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
This 100%.
X2
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Take the turbo route more power and torque. Also for less than upgrading and is reversible and you can just find a shop to add the kit to another car. That's my car in the video up top gotta love boost and high MPG's ^^^^^!! Also everyone loses when it comes to mod dollars. Never seen a used mod go for new prices.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Go turbo and give the ZL1 a run for it's money. haha
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I'm partial to the instant power of a supercharger. You don't have turbo lag. I had a Whipple 1600ax twin screw supercharger put on the EG33 Boxer-6 in my Subaru SVX. I had you be careful taking off and cornering at the same time. Too much throttle and the bypass would close giving an instand 9psi. I had an STi, rear biased tranny in it. The rear tires would instantly let go and snap the car around 180 degrees. It took me a few auto-x's to get use to that.

I think, personally, when I'm ready to boost, I'm going with the Edelbrock E-force system. It's i nice clean, low profile system. Though, it doesn't make quite as much power as some of it's compeditors.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
I'm partial to the instant power of a supercharger. You don't have turbo lag. I had a Whipple 1600ax twin screw supercharger put on the EG33 Boxer-6 in my Subaru SVX. I had you be careful taking off and cornering at the same time. Too much throttle and the bypass would close giving an instand 9psi. I had an STi, rear biased tranny in it. The rear tires would instantly let go and snap the car around 180 degrees. It took me a few auto-x's to get use to that.

I think, personally, when I'm ready to boost, I'm going with the Edelbrock E-force system. It's i nice clean, low profile system. Though, it doesn't make quite as much power as some of it's compeditors.
This is the V6 section so the only superchargers available are centrifugal... so it's not going to be "instant power"... boost on a centri comes on very linearly as the RPMs go up...

A properly sized turbo(s) really shouldn't have any lag...

I have owned and driven centrifugal supercharged cars... and now I've got a couple turbo vehicles in the driveway... I would have a hard time going back to a centri...

to OP, we've seen a few guys with STS kits here... most seem to have some issues with the installs and a fair amount of work to get them "right"... Personally I would avoid STS... IMHO...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
This is the V6 section so the only superchargers available are centrifugal... so it's not going to be "instant power"... boost on a centri comes on very linearly as the RPMs go up...

A properly sized turbo(s) really shouldn't have any lag...

I have owned and driven centrifugal supercharged cars... and now I've got a couple turbo vehicles in the driveway... I would have a hard time going back to a centri...

to OP, we've seen a few guys with STS kits here... most seem to have some issues with the installs and a fair amount of work to get them "right"... Personally I would avoid STS... IMHO...
True. I've never messed with centrifugal superchargers. I did research them when I was building the Subaru. From what I understood, they had the disavantage of both turbos and superchargers. They had a lag at building boost and still had the prasetic loss of the supercharger. the only advantage over a twin screw that I went with was they were capible of a good bit more boost. I get it's a V6 tread. I don't know whats available for them, just sharing my exsperience.

I didn't know about the STS issues though. That's good to know. I had actually considered them, also. Is the issue just on their V6 package. (not to derail the thread too much...)
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Not true, I have less in my V6 that a SS. And I can remove it with no evidence with the IPF kit. Then use the headunit- Vortech V3 - if I ever decide to get a SS with just a bracket upgrade. And I am faster than an SS now.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
IPF-Tuning

Drives: Camaro, CTS-V, Escalade, GMC Sierra
The IPF SC Kit is a Low OEM Impact Design that is 100% Bolt-on and 100% Reversible. So if you wanted to remove it to sell your car you can and we can Tune it back to Stock. We also have a Warranty that you can purchase as well to replace your existing Power Train Warranty.

Thanks,

Jesse!
IPF-Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPF-Tuning View Post
The IPF SC Kit is a Low OEM Impact Design that is 100% Bolt-on and 100% Reversible. So if you wanted to remove it to sell your car you can and we can Tune it back to Stock. We also have a Warranty that you can purchase as well to replace your existing Power Train Warranty.

Thanks,

Jesse!