Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #43
vinyljunkie
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Love it.... oh how much i love and hate you vendors... i love it my wallet hates it All worth is... and im local so ill be by soon.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #44
Hess RS
Account Suspended

Drives: 91 Camaro RS
the ABL is only prewired for the SS models, the RS models with cloth door panels dont have ABL wires in the dash or the door. I run them off the power for the window switches, which is actually dimable like the ABL since the lights in the switches dim as well. the lights are on when the key is on, the lights are on, and for the 30 second or so courtesy lights. I can wire them into a switch but you would have to bring the car here or take it to a shop that could handle it and run wires into the doors.
Hess RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #45
renderinfo
R6P Member

Drives: Camaro 5th Gen
Ltaudio,

I am ready to order. I'd like a DIY kit that gives me exactly like the picture Teddy RS posted when he started this thread. Let me know if I should drop you an email, PM or call...

Awesome!
renderinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #46
Ferrarimk13

Drives: Hopefully a Camaro in a year
How awesome would one be one that says "Get In. Hold On"
Ferrarimk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #47
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlaudio View Post
the ABL is only prewired for the SS models, the RS models with cloth door panels dont have ABL wires in the dash or the door. I run them off the power for the window switches, which is actually dimable like the ABL since the lights in the switches dim as well. the lights are on when the key is on, the lights are on, and for the 30 second or so courtesy lights. I can wire them into a switch but you would have to bring the car here or take it to a shop that could handle it and run wires into the doors.
I don't understand...why would the ss be different from the 2lt? I thought the interiors were the same.. so you're saying that the v6 is only gonna run the lights when the key is in? Sorry I just am kinda slow on this
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #48
ROE

Drives: 2008 cts
thats great
ROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #49
jparnapy

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by adub4185 View Post
from reading through the thread, it sounds like the holes are cut in the panel. please correct me if im wrong
alex we soooooooooo need to do this it's awesome!!!!!!
jparnapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #50
diamondmike

Drives: 2SS/RS
when can this be ordered?

7.83 @ 172 and 1.15 60ft 5th gen
4.93@143
diamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #51
Hess RS
Account Suspended

Sorry guys I'm still out of town, I only have my phone for internet till I'm back Monday. Ill get updates as soon as I can. O and to clarify if ur car has a cloth interior with cloth dash and door inserts ur car isn't prewired for abl.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #52
Hess RS
Account Suspended

Hey guys im finally back. Ok just to clarify, if your car has ABL, it will hook up to that system just fine. If you have the cloth door and dash inserts, you will have to tap the window switch harness. This is basically the same system as far as power for the ABL, since the timing of the on/off is the same. the lights will be on when the car is on, the headlights are turned on, when the car is unlocked, and for the courtesy lights when you unlock/exit the car. hope that clears it up. I should have kits up for sale by Friday!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #53
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlaudio View Post
Hey guys im finally back. Ok just to clarify, if your car has ABL, it will hook up to that system just fine. If you have the cloth door and dash inserts, you will have to tap the window switch harness. This is basically the same system as far as power for the ABL, since the timing of the on/off is the same. the lights will be on when the car is on, the headlights are turned on, when the car is unlocked, and for the courtesy lights when you unlock/exit the car. hope that clears it up. I should have kits up for sale by Friday!
I needed this bit of good news today! Awesome..ok so give me a 1-10 ranking on DIY difficulty. I'm definitely a novice so I'm wondering if I need to finda shop to do it.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #54
Hess RS
Account Suspended

Well the new version is fairly easy. maybe a 3 or 4. the hardest part is cutting the hole in the bottom of the door panel. Im gonna supply a template, and you can use a body saw, file, coping saw, or whatever you feel will work to cut it out. the new version is going to mount to the door metal, instead of the plastic door panel. If all the parts show up by friday Ill be rady to go. Are there any local guys that might want to get them done at a discount so I can double check fitment before they ship?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #55
CamaroDreams07

Well the idea of cutting into my door is still scary to me so I contacted an MECP shop here in the DFW area to see if they might do it for me. One more question, these things are completely water tight right? I dont want this thing causing my door to rust out from the inside or anything.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #56
Hess RS
Account Suspended

No worries. Its sealed to the bottom of the door panel, and just a few screws to mount it. You wont have any problems with rust or sealing. unless you drive into a lake. then your on your own.