Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
2013 1LT issue or fluke

My wife's car had an issue that we've been unable to replicate and no codes showed up on the OBD II scanner at the dealer. The dealer even drove it 20 miles and nothing came up. We are trying to get the survallience video from the intersection where it occurred. The techs and service writer agree something did happen, but they aren't sure what.

It has about 7k miles on it. It has had its oil changed at 1500 and just recently. When we first got it after the first oil change the exhaust would have white smoke come out of it and still does from time to time. Dealer looked at then and could not find anything, but I had a friend pull her VIN and this was listed (same day dealer look at it for white smoke):
EI PIE0251 Engine Oil Leak at Oil Filter Adapter 04/19/2013

Also, her mylink has had a few issues, but not enough to warrant a dealer visit.

This is what happened:
She was turning at a light onto a different intersection. As she started to go the car's traction and stability control turned off, accelerator stuck to ground, and steering column locked up. She tried braking, but it did not slow down. She had to pull on the e-brake to get it to stop and as she did she did a 180 degree turn. Thankfully the traffic around her watched and figured out she was in trouble instead of trying to show out. Because she could have been in a dangerous wreck. Since the dealer gave it back my wife says it makes a noise outside. I will listen to it this afternoon.

Any ideas? Talking to some GM friends as well to see if we can figure out what happened.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
My wife's car had an issue that we've been unable to replicate and no codes showed up on the OBD II scanner at the dealer. The dealer even drove it 20 miles and nothing came up. We are trying to get the survallience video from the intersection where it occurred. The techs and service writer agree something did happen, but they aren't sure what.

It has about 7k miles on it. It has had its oil changed at 1500 and just recently. When we first got it after the first oil change the exhaust would have white smoke come out of it and still does from time to time. Dealer looked at then and could not find anything, but I had a friend pull her VIN and this was listed (same day dealer look at it for white smoke):
EI PIE0251 Engine Oil Leak at Oil Filter Adapter 04/19/2013

Also, her mylink has had a few issues, but not enough to warrant a dealer visit.

This is what happened:
She was turning at a light onto a different intersection. As she started to go the car's traction and stability control turned off, accelerator stuck to ground, and steering column locked up. She tried braking, but it did not slow down. She had to pull on the e-brake to get it to stop and as she did she did a 180 degree turn. Thankfully the traffic around her watched and figured out she was in trouble instead of trying to show out. Because she could have been in a dangerous wreck. Since the dealer gave it back my wife says it makes a noise outside. I will listen to it this afternoon.

Any ideas? Talking to some GM friends as well to see if we can figure out what happened.
Oh my,

I'm extremely sorry to hear about what happened and I'm happy your wife was not hurt. Feel free to send me your VIN and I will research this further. How long ago did that incident occur?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
31B

Drives: 2014 Black 1SS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to 31B
Never heard of this happening. Keep us updated.
31B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
ER-RN

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Wow I can only hope that's not a common occurrence! Sounds like it would give Toyota's runaway Prius issues a run for their money. Keep us informed what the mechanics come up with!
ER-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
GoldCartridgeGamer

Mechanics unable to find codes both times taken it in. Has happened three times now. Twice with my wife and once this weekend with me in the car.

Mechanics admit something is up, but can't do anything without codes. That's a load of BS. Stick their head under a hood once in a while and can probably figure it out. MyLink has had issues in her car and have had Onstar issues too.

Chevrolet customer service William (not sure if same guy on here) has been helpful. He has stood up for us at the service center and backed my wife after they treated her like crap there. Serra Chevrolet definitely may have lost a good customer just because of that. Up until now they had never done me wrong, but disrespecting my wife crosses the line.

Anyways, I plan on taking the car and the OBD II scanner with me today in after this weekend's near death incident. I was driving 70-75 mph with cruise set and suddenly car did it's thing and even turned off the recorder so I hurriedly turned recorder back on and hit the button to record the car in hopes of catching codes and trying to maintain control of vehicle. It zeroed out the info on the DIC (i.e., trip was zeroed out for a moment with --.- mi), the speedometer did a cycle sweep, cruise turned off, and RPM odmeter did the same thing as speedometer. I had barely any control of vehicle and threw the transmission into netural. Was on a main interstate with lots of traffic. Once car appeared to restart threw it back into drive and gunned it to get back up to speed with traffic all around me. Radio stayed on the whole time. Serra Chevrolet and Chevrolet will be hearing from me today. Hope the recorder caught the codes. This car needs to be bought back. This is now the third time it has happened and second time we could have been hurt in the vehicle when it has happened. First time endangered my wife and daughter. Third time it happened it endangered my wife and myself. The second time it happened luckily it was just my wife and she was not around any traffic, but was traveling around 40 mph.

So pissed off right now. Here's to hoping GM fixes this situation and makes things right like they have in the past with my family. We only buy GM vehicles and would like to continue to do so.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Hope you find something thats causing this.

Will be watching for sure ~
I have bout 1,200 or so on mine ~

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
GoldCartridgeGamer

Got the car back yesterday. The service manager drove it 500+ miles and not a single thing came up. Contacted GM now about this and waiting to hear back.

How to hug your camaro
Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I am going to just throw something out there... Have them check the main wiring harness connector where it goes through the firewall. My father had a car act similar to that and it was the main wiring harness connector was loose and would lose partial power to some systems intermittently..
Old 10-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I am going to just throw something out there... Have them check the main wiring harness connector where it goes through the firewall. My father had a car act similar to that and it was the main wiring harness connector was loose and would lose partial power to some systems intermittently..
I will ask them if they checked that. This last time they had it they checked a lot of parts on it and talked to a higher up tech over the phone about it too to double check anything on the car before they drove it 500+ miles.

How to hug your camaro
Old 10-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Way to few good dealerships around with competent mechanics they think everything is plug and code now and that is the way it's going sadly. I sat in on a friends online seminar for auto technicians wasn't a GM seminar but all i got is use the codes to verify problems not once did i hear look under the hood. Anyone miss the old non car PC days where you could diagnose the issue by the noises the car made practically. I bring my car to a local shop with any adverse behavior before i go to the dealership after my transmission and radiator blew in my 02' PoS Malibu 80 miles after a check-up where the dealership said everything was perfectly fine.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I had a very similar thing happen to my 2011 Buick regal turbo.. It was a manual the engine redlined with the family in the car and I was shifting through the gears to no avail. That uncontrolled acceleration is not fun. I ended up getting GM to buy back with the recommendation I buy at the same dealer, the dealer was helpful to me. But the dealer turned on me because they didn't see the new car as a true purchase?? Anyways it took months, hang in there continuously site your safety concern. Good luck you can get rid of the car, it will just take time. On a side note I bought a 2012 Sierra and it had electrical and mechanical issues, I just traded it.. Yeah I feel your pain.
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Hello,

I looked up your case, and the agent is scheduled to be speaking with your dealership today. Please continue to keep us posted on any new news!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Got the car back yesterday. The service manager drove it 500+ miles and not a single thing came up. Contacted GM now about this and waiting to hear back.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I asked the service manager and he said they did look at all the wiring from the battery to the main fuse block, as well as the wiring from the fuse block to the cabin. Everything with the wiring and connectors looked good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Way to few good dealerships around with competent mechanics they think everything is plug and code now and that is the way it's going sadly. I sat in on a friends online seminar for auto technicians wasn't a GM seminar but all i got is use the codes to verify problems not once did i hear look under the hood. Anyone miss the old non car PC days where you could diagnose the issue by the noises the car made practically. I bring my car to a local shop with any adverse behavior before i go to the dealership after my transmission and radiator blew in my 02' PoS Malibu 80 miles after a check-up where the dealership said everything was perfectly fine.
Yep, it is and it sucks! I am debating buying a beater and getting myself a classic so I don't have to worry about the computer crap! Yea I've had dealerships do me wrong in the past so I rarely take it in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
I had a very similar thing happen to my 2011 Buick regal turbo.. It was a manual the engine redlined with the family in the car and I was shifting through the gears to no avail. That uncontrolled acceleration is not fun. I ended up getting GM to buy back with the recommendation I buy at the same dealer, the dealer was helpful to me. But the dealer turned on me because they didn't see the new car as a true purchase?? Anyways it took months, hang in there continuously site your safety concern. Good luck you can get rid of the car, it will just take time. On a side note I bought a 2012 Sierra and it had electrical and mechanical issues, I just traded it.. Yeah I feel your pain.
Yea this is not my first incident where it took time to get GM to help out. Our dealership is being helpful luckily. My wife and I have talked about trading it, but it would be negative equity so we are trying to avoid that situation at the same time we want out of the car now. I fear everyday when my wife drives it and my daughter is in the car. We were already in a rear end accident not too long ago in my 2010 Camaro SS (sold it after the wreck). Luckily my daughter wasn't in that accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello,

I looked up your case, and the agent is scheduled to be speaking with your dealership today. Please continue to keep us posted on any new news!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
I spoke with my agent yesterday around noon CST. He was completely honest with me and told me my only option at this point is to continue taking it to dealerships to see if they can diagnose it or reproduce it. Outside of that our hands are basically tied. He said that was his personal opinion too. GM can do nothing until it can be reproduced. His reasoning behind the answer makes sense, but sucks. It is so other techs can get their hands on it (new pair of eyes) as well as perhaps a dealer has had an incident like this (in any car, not just a Camaro) and can be of help.

Do we have any other options at this point? Can we seek higher up help than what we are receiving right now?

Serra Chevrolet has been great (minus one incident), they fixed our seat squeaking, and have done everything they can at this point. The service manager believes us 100% and is doing anything he can to help solve this as well.

How to hug your camaro
Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Hello!

The best course of action at this point would be to have the second opinion diagnosis made. I realize this can be inconvenient, but can also turn out to be helpful. Your agent has closed your case, but if you would like to proceed with the new diagnosis, I would be happy to alert your agent as to your request. They would be happy to continue to work on your case. I will also notify your agent of our conversation to see if there is any other option to proceed with.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

I spoke with my agent yesterday around noon CST. He was completely honest with me and told me my only option at this point is to continue taking it to dealerships to see if they can diagnose it or reproduce it. Outside of that our hands are basically tied. He said that was his personal opinion too. GM can do nothing until it can be reproduced. His reasoning behind the answer makes sense, but sucks. It is so other techs can get their hands on it (new pair of eyes) as well as perhaps a dealer has had an incident like this (in any car, not just a Camaro) and can be of help.

Do we have any other options at this point? Can we seek higher up help than what we are receiving right now?

Serra Chevrolet has been great (minus one incident), they fixed our seat squeaking, and have done everything they can at this point. The service manager believes us 100% and is doing anything he can to help solve this as well.[/QUOTE]