Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
nidecker

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE, Supercharged
LS9 heads on LS3 block

Good evening from Germany.
After my Kraftwerks supercharge install I´m now looking to exchange my stock LS3 heads for more durable GMPP CNC ported LS9 heads.
My challenge is not the fitment - that should be fine.
I´m wondering about the head bolts. LS9 needs 12mm head bolts. LS3 block has 11mm. Jegs recommends the standard 11mm GMPP bolts. But there will be obvious a 1mm difference...not sure if this is a sustainable solution...

I don´t want to re-tapp the LS3 block for 12mm.

Any suggestions from the experts?
nidecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidecker View Post
Good evening from Germany.
After my Kraftwerks supercharge install I´m now looking to exchange my stock LS3 heads for more durable GMPP CNC ported LS9 heads.
My challenge is not the fitment - that should be fine.
I´m wondering about the head bolts. LS9 needs 12mm head bolts. LS3 block has 11mm. Jegs recommends the standard 11mm GMPP bolts. But there will be obvious a 1mm difference...not sure if this is a sustainable solution...

I don´t want to re-tapp the LS3 block for 12mm.

Any suggestions from the experts?

We machined sleeves for our cars when we do this setup.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Welcome to Camaro5 from Germany! I lived in Düsseldorf from 2011-2014. Good to see some Camaro's running the autobahn's in Deutschland. Wish I was there to enjoy the Christmas markets and have a nice glühwein this time of year.

I looked into these LS9 heads on a LS3 myself. As ADM says...you either need custom sleeves or to machine the block. If you add up all the time and cost in that...there are a lot better options out there for the money. Look into some LSA heads (seen them used for as little as $700) which have a much stronger grade aluminum to them....or even go all out with something like a Trickflow GenX head with a thick deck that can really handle big boost. I suppose if you could get a reputable shop like ADM to machine you some sleeves and find a used pair of LS9 heads...that would be a cheaper option. But heads haven't been proven to deliver huge amounts of power in terms of general flow capabilities. But some of the higher quality heads certainly have allowed for a lot more boost before pushing water which has produced a lot more power. So my advice is think of deck thickness and casting quality first for boost.

Hope that helps. Auf Wiedersehen!
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote