Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
mtm864

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
g6x3 cam install

No one in my area are brave enough nor will i trust them with putting a new cam in my ss. Is the install itself that hard ive done a few cam swaps in the past but theyve all been in 5.0 mustangs no chevys. Im planning on going with the g6x3 LG cam anyone used this one and have good reviews on it power wise and driveability? Just looking to find more info on it before i purchase and also would i need to upgrade valvetrain for the cam or will it be fine? Thanks guys
Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
redsap05

Drives: 2005 pontiac gto
should call lg and talk to them about it. fwiw my friend has been putting cams in 2010 camaro's and said its easiest car he has ever done
redsap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Make sure you measure p/v if you install that camshaft.
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
mtm864

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
yeah i was def gonna check p/v dont want those two to meet lol. Or if not the g6x3 what would be a good cam with dd driveability and not having to change out the valvetrain
Old 06-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
JohnJ@Texas-Speed

Drives: Body In White Camaro
We have some camshafts available that you might consider. Checkout our website, we engine dyno test & developed several camshafts that have proven to make good hp & have proper p/v clearance. I personally run the 231/236 & PRC CNC Ported LS3 heads to 500rwhp
JohnJ@Texas-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
G6X3 YOU WILL LOVE

You will be perfectly happy with the G6X3...but be prepared to spend some cash...on springs.

Here is a great comparison - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86898
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Texas speed

Jason has good cams as well!
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Mr. Brownstone

Drives: "SINISTER"
I have the g6x3 and it is one Bad MoFo!!!!!!! It pulls and pulls and pulls...........and then pulls some more!!!!

Believe me, I did my research and IMHO.....If you are gonna stay N/A you can't do any better than the g6x3!!!!

BTW........My drivability is AWESOME!!!

So awesome that my wife drives the car all the time and absolutely loves it.
If you have any further detailed questions, feel free to PM me.
G6x3 Camshaft...4:10 Gear, UD Pulley, RotoFab CAI, Stainless Works Long Tubes, Pfadt Sport Plus Suspension Kit, Cincy Speed Custom tune!!
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
I too have the G6X3 cam with 4.10 gears. Love it and it has excellent driveabilty and a wicked sound.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #10
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
The LS3 Cam Swap in the Camaros is BY FAR the easiest it's ever been.

My opinion on the matter:

TSP has the best (proven safe) packages and the best service. They are constantly on the forums answering questions and have pretty damn good package pricepoints. We've installed no less than a dozen of their kits with ZERO issues. Well done to them on that point.

If you are a willing to take that (minor?) risk and spend some more lettuce, the other kits might reward you with a little more power. Some guys are having great successes with them so don't discount that fact one bit. I just don't see them supporting the questions like this very much...see Jason from TSP and Andy from ADM chiming in and see how long it takes for an LG or Livernois or the likes to speak their peace. I always talk up the businesses that support the forums...period.

I've seen some pretty unreal gains on cam only (LS3) cars so far.....there are some fantastic choices out there.

Best of luck,
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #11
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
The LS3 Cam Swap in the Camaros is BY FAR the easiest it's ever been.

My opinion on the matter:

TSP has the best (proven safe) packages and the best service. They are constantly on the forums answering questions and have pretty damn good package pricepoints. We've installed no less than a dozen of their kits with ZERO issues. Well done to them on that point.

If you are a willing to take that (minor?) risk and spend some more lettuce, the other kits might reward you with a little more power. Some guys are having great successes with them so don't discount that fact one bit. I just don't see them supporting the questions like this very much...see Jason from TSP and Andy from ADM chiming in and see how long it takes for an LG or Livernois or the likes to speak their peace. I always talk up the businesses that support the forums...period.

I've seen some pretty unreal gains on cam only (LS3) cars so far.....there are some fantastic choices out there.

Best of luck,
Ivan
not sure your point exactly in referencing us. Myself and rick are on the board a combined 20+ times a day... We don't come in threads about other people's products unless we are brought up, out of respect for the other companies. So if you are referring as to us not coming in this thread, that would be why. The OP was questioning an LG cam. We find it in bad taste to comment on other companies parts/designs and compare them to ourselves. Even when directly asked to compare we don't, we simply offer the results of our products and builds as testimonial once again out of respect. Had the OP asked for advice on a camshaft selection for his car, we of course would have made recommendations as we have a plethora of cams for these cars and have installed all of them in cars in house with many various combinations (a6, m6, with boost, without boost, stroker, ported heads, stock heads, you get the idea...) so we are in an extremely unique situation in our ability to make a recommendation when it comes to grinds.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post

BTW........My drivability is AWESOME!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG383 View Post

it has excellent driveabilty and a wicked sound.
I would say I have driven the G6X3 for 6,000 plus miles in every day driving with a M6 and if you guys call that good drivability then you obviously have never driven an excellent cam with true stock drivability that still makes excellent power and performs excellent.

If PEAK POWER is your goal the G6X3 is an excellent option but if drivability is your concern at all then it is not any where near stock drivability. 17.5 degrees of positive overlap at .050 and a LSA of 111 and an ICL of 107 is what it is, PERIOD. Those specs will NEVER drive stock.

I have given my keys to many to experience it for themselves. The G6X3 will surge and buck under 2000 rpms at part throttle every day driving. The reversion under 2000 rpms is huge with that amount of overlap. The overlap is the benefit for peak power but as for drivability it is the killer.

Many make excellent alternatives should a person want STOCK drvability and still make excellent power.

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

Last edited by freemaSSon; 06-02-2010 at 08:46 AM.
freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #13
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemaSSon View Post
I would say I have driven the G6X3 for 6,000 plus miles in every day driving with a M6 and if you guys call that good drivability then you obviously have never driven an excellent cam with true stock drivability that still makes excellent power and performs excellent.

If PEAK POWER is your goal the G6X3 is an excellent option but if drivability is your concern at all then it is not any where near stock drivability. 17.5 degrees of positive overlap at .050 and a LSA of 111 and an ICL of 107 is what it is, PERIOD. Those specs will NEVER drive stock.

I have given my keys to many to experience it for themselves. The G6X3 will surge and buck OFTEN under 2000 rpms at part throttle every day driving. The reversion under 2000 rpms is huge with the amount of overlap. The overlap is the benefit for peak power but as for drivability it is the killer.

Many make excellent alternatives should a person want STOCK drvability and still make excellent power.
I will agree with brother freemaSSon on the surging under 2000 rpms. I have the stock gears in my car unlike Sinister (Mr Brownstone's beautiful car). I went into the G6X3 package with the mindset that that my car would not drive, handle, or sound the same as it did stock. I for one like my cars loud and people asking what the hell is wrong with my car cause it's idleing rough and sounds like it's pissed off at the world. I have driven my car 2,000+ miles with the cam and I love it but it doesn't idle or drive like it did stock. It's far better IMO. Different strokes for different folks.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote