Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
New rattle noise at 45 Mph and above...

Hi All,
Does anybody know what could be causing this noise or have experienced this yourself? First, the noise sounds like a leaf or paper caught in the air intake just outside the windshield where air is drawn into the car. In all my testing, I have eliminated the A/C by completely turning it off and the noise persists. Turned the radio completely off and it still happens. It almost sounds like it is not inside the cabin and in front of me around the center of the dash like just on the other side of the firewall or deep inside the dash somewhere. The first big clue is the fact that I can cruise above 45 Mph and can hear this object flapping in the wind like a leaf that's hanging on for life and won't let go. I can shift into neutral and coast above 45 Mph and hear it strong. As soon as I coast down to 44 Mph, the noise goes away. If I speed up above 45 Mph, here it comes again and loud. It does seem to be speed/wind related because the faster I go the back and forth ticking sound it makes gets faster. When I coast down to 45 Mph, the ticking sound slows down its cadence just before it stops. It's the most annoying sound and can be heard with music on and A/C on...that's how annoying it is and it's steady too. Anybody heard this or has my car developed a unique issue?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
superman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Not to be condescending, but maybe a leaf or a piece of paper is caught in the intake or around the intake. You didn't say whether you checked that. Check the whole front bumper. You might only be able to hear it because 45 miles might be the exact speed required for that piece of paper to resonate - kind of like the drone you hear from aftermarket exhausts at certain rpms/speed. If it's a new sound, it's probably something stuck.
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
Not to be condescending, but maybe a leaf or a piece of paper is caught in the intake or around the intake. You didn't say whether you checked that. Check the whole front bumper. You might only be able to hear it because 45 miles might be the exact speed required for that piece of paper to resonate - kind of like the drone you hear from aftermarket exhausts at certain rpms/speed. If it's a new sound, it's probably something stuck.
LOL, Good point...I failed to say what other things I looked for. I crawled up and around the front end of the car, thoroughly inspected the front grill and air dam on the lower fascia. I also tried to check the intake vents that feed the cabin just under the hood cowl but it was very hard to see in there. In all cases, no obstructions, trash, leaves, etc. I need to see if I can get inside that air intake where the pollen filter is located because it is probably time to change that anyway since I've had the car a year now. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I also checked for objects rattling in the glove compartment and center console...nothing.

Last edited by Edrock; 07-27-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Edrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
superman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Maybe that air filter is ripped or has a tear in it? causing air to blow by it and cause that paper flapping sound?
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
look for loose part number labels in the engine bay.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
look for loose part number labels in the engine bay.
Hey...that's a good idea. That's what it sounds like. I'll check tonight and post back.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Edrock

Actually forgot to check for flapping OEM labels in the engine bay last night, BUT, on the interstate this morning, the noise became loud for a second then when to a low level where I could barely hear it. I suspect whatever it was finally tore off leaving a smaller piece behind. When I got to work, I popped the hood and was surprised to find so many OEM labels all over the engine bay so I removed as many as I could reach. When I head out at lunch today, we'll see how it goes from there. Will update then.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
jomo45

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Silver Ice
Edrock, I have the exact same noise, been having a heck of a time describing it, thanks for the Leaf analogy!! I'll look this weekend for a parts tag, that does seem a likely suspect.
jomo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Edrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo45 View Post
Edrock, I have the exact same noise, been having a heck of a time describing it, thanks for the Leaf analogy!! I'll look this weekend for a parts tag, that does seem a likely suspect.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. When I went home for lunch, the sound is still there above 45 Mph (just not as loud) even though I took the OEM tags off this morning that I could reach from the topside of the engine bay. Now I'm wondering if something really is lodged in the air intake vents under the cowl of the hood just below the wiper blades. I need to find some documentation about how to change the pollen filter in that location anyway so hopefully I'll find the smoking gun at that point. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Edrock

This is where I'm headed next in case anybody is interested. Will post results when I get a chance to get in there and check it out.

Here's the thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85122

Here are 2 important posts in that thread with clues on how to get in there:

Name:  Pollen Filter2.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  Pollen Filter.jpg
Views: 2802
Size:  166.0 KB
Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Hawkeye
I am Iron Man

Drives: LT M6
SAME EXACT PROBLEM HERE. It drives me crazy this sound. I've also been unable to describe the sound, thanks for the analogy. I will monitor this thread closely for a fix. I'll pray for one too, as I am the type of person that is highly annoyed by sounds like that. I can hear it over the radio too.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
I have the same problem as well and the picture above gives me hope that it indeed comes from the passenger side filter. I am going to the dealership right now and I'll report back folks.....
Old 07-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Just got back. We removed the filter cover and filter and then cleaned everything in site in the box. Put everything back in and so far, so good! Easy job to do at home guys - 3 fasteners and the lid comes off quite easily. You'll notice the weather striping is intentionally cut to allow the lid to be removed.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
Hawkeye
I am Iron Man

Drives: LT M6
So did you find the debris? Was it a leaf or paper? Or did you not find anything specific and the noise just went away?
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote