Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
when do you guys change transmission fluid on manual 14 SS

im taking my car to the dealership today to get the rear brake pads replaced. im only going to the dealer cause there isnt another shop in the area with the same reliability and quality of work.

the service guy is telling me at 45,000 miles the transmission fluid should be changed also and i think he mentioned another fluid should be changed. im at 46,000 miles. im going to just change the brake pads for now but i wanted to get other camaros owners opinions on this fluid change service. does it really need to be done at 45,000 miles. has anyone gone longer an how has that gone, any issues? just lookin to get info thanks
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Since I have 46,000 on mine now ...

Old 12-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
I got my 2010 with ~ 32K on it.. I changed all the fluids as soon as I got it.. Rear was the worst.. Tranny was not too bad but certainly was not as clean as I want or expected at that mileage.. Royal Purple went back in both. Main reason I did it was to get the synthetic in it not just to change it but glad I did.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Looking up the GM recommended service interval (in your owner's manual) at 45k miles it's recommended to change:

Transmission fluid
Rear axle fluid
Brake fluid
Clutch fluid

Having said that, I trust the engineers that built the car to suggest a good time to change them. I am a maintenance freak. I change my fluids a bit earlier than recommended. I know it won't hurt to got even a little over, but for my piece of mind I know the fluid is in good working condition. The worst case scenario is over the lifetime of the vehicle I have spent the same money or a little more on maintenance as a new component, but it saves me the hassle of a premature breakdown.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I changed my M6 and diff fluid at about 6000 miles. But they were really hard miles, 1/8 at a time. Engine oil every 1000 miles.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #6
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Depends - keeping a car very long-term I like to over maintain. If keeping for only a few years just go according to the Owners Manual change intervals.

Changed my Differential oil, Manual Trans fluid, engine oil, brake/clutch fluid at 2000 miles after break-in. Amazing amount of metal particles in the oils.

It is easy to get to all using the homemade ramps set up in my sloped driveway - checking position with a level on the roof.

And for the differential gear oil change, there was enough clearance to slide under and get to drain/fill plugs without putting it up on ramps or jack.

Does not cost much if you enjoy doing it yourself.
Here is the Owners manual: https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...2k14camaro.pdf
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Looking up the GM recommended service interval (in your owner's manual) at 45k miles it's recommended to change:

Transmission fluid
Rear axle fluid
Brake fluid
Clutch fluid

Having said that, I trust the engineers that built the car to suggest a good time to change them. I am a maintenance freak. I change my fluids a bit earlier than recommended. I know it won't hurt to got even a little over, but for my piece of mind I know the fluid is in good working condition. The worst case scenario is over the lifetime of the vehicle I have spent the same money or a little more on maintenance as a new component, but it saves me the hassle of a premature breakdown.
yup this is the exact list the service guy at the dealership pulled out an showed me. im just about at 46,000 miles now i think il go an get this done before i get to 50,000. sooner the better
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote