Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #2115
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee

Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
Couple months ago we a few of us were at the track playing with one of my buddies 2010 Z06 automatic.

What....HUH??? WAIT!!!
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #2116
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
rut-roh...
Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #2117
93TealCobra
Banned

Drives: 1993 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It's insane to put a whole lot of value in the top speed number of a car, given you'd need a mile or two to reach it, yes I agree...

This thread is burning a hole in my network....
So you're inferring that this thread is worthless?

That's a cute little move to take the emphasis off the fact that the GT500 still does 200+ MPH, and the only GM vehicle capable of that is the ZR1, which costs twice as much.

As for the bolded comment, last time I checked on your front page you had a video of the ZL1 modified, doing 200 MPH. So I guess there is value in regards to top speed...

I don't care if it takes 2 miles to hit 200 mph, how long does it take the ZR1 to do so? I'll put my money on it being at least 1.25 miles.

The fact of the matter is the GT500 does it. That's a Mustang going 200 MPH with the window sticker still in place. If you don't think that's impressive then you're a stone cold fanboy.
93TealCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #2118
big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It's insane to put a whole lot of value in the top speed number of a car, given you'd need a mile or two to reach it, yes I agree...

This thread is burning a hole in my network....
that's really all they have with this car.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #2119
BATMAN!
Banned

Drives: Corvette, F350, Durango but no svt
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
hmmm.....

was it a convertible too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
What....HUH??? WAIT!!!
He edited it to state that it was converted.
BATMAN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #2120
BATMAN!
Banned

Quote:
Lol you people are as bad as those guys you complain about
Old 05-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #2121
big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMAN! View Post
He edited it to state that it was converted.
yeah he screwed up on his lie then did some googling is what happened.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #2122
BATMAN!
Banned

Quote:
yeah he screwed up on his lie then did some googling is what happened.
Ok dude whatever makes you feel better.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #2123
big hammer

Quote:
Ok dude whatever makes you feel better.
i guess you're right. that factory torque mamagement in an z06 with an auto converted for racing is always a bugger.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #2124
BATMAN!
Banned

Quote:
i guess you're right. that factory torque mamagement in an z06 with an auto converted for racing is always a bugger.
So because he made a mistake and you along with most of this forum have blinders on he's a liar.? I'm sure that if you ever read any of his posts he's probably one of the few on here that doesn't feel he needs to make shit up.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #2125
big hammer

Quote:
So because he made a mistake and you along with most of this forum have blinders on he's a liar.? I'm sure that if you ever read any of his posts he's probably one of the few on here that doesn't feel he needs to make shit up.
lol!!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #2126
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Carbine View Post
From what I have read the document for certification is very long and vey complex.
No arguement there.

Quote:
And you are wrong about your comments about chassis dynos from every point.
Damn, I must suck!

Quote:
1.) It is a Mustang Dyno that is the most inaccurate because the operator has to enter in variables such as weight of the car. Then you have an eddy flow current motor trying to match an engine accelerating plus loss of power from inertia. Sorry, the numbers I see posted form Mustang dynos are pure BS, all over the map and some even bordering The Twight Light Zone.
Well golly, if I had said that Mustang Dyno's were more accurate, then you'd of had a point. But if you'd have bothered to read what I wrote instead of reading what you wanted to read, you'd note that I said the Mustang Dyno's were more usefull as a TUNING TOOL....which is a chassis dyno's primary purpose anyway.

Miss that part?

Quote:
2.) So, if an engineer is designing a machine to process a product and he has a requirement for X-amount of HP. He specs out a combustion engine or an electric motor and fits it to a gear box then he does not know what HP and torque is coming out of the gear box? Give me a break. The chassis dyno can be looked at as a machine processing a product.
Ok. And? How does it process the drivetrain losses from the engine to the rear wheels?

There is a crude method of grossly estimating this, but given how smart you obviously are, you probably already know that.

Quote:
3.) An inertia dyno has the Laws of Physics on it's side. Not some logical controller programmed by some dumbass simply trying to get a set of numers he thinks is accurate.
Once again, completely and totally missed the point about tuning - not trying to get "accurate numbers" to brag about on the internet.

Quote:
4.) This is from the Kenne Bell Tech forum on SVTPerformance written by Kenne Bell themselves. This test is an "Engine Dyno versus a Dynojet". All numbers remarkebly close to 15%.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...rip-tests.html
So based on that one write-up (very scientific, I'm sure), we are to assume that 15% (for manuals) should now be used for EVERYTHING across the board when "converting" RWHP to BHP, and thus the 2013 GT500 is under-rated (SAE Cert be damned) and is really making ~700 HP.

Do I have it right now?

Quote:
5.) An owner on SVTPerformance just posted the numbers for his 2013 at 614 rwhp SAE. Do you honestly believe that car only lost 48 HP thru the drive train? That is a 7% loss.
No, I honestly believe its more like 60-70 HP. The other thing I believe is that dyno's vary, weather conditions vary, weather instruments vary (or are never calibrated), operators vary, and even cars vary. Are you familiar with something called the "scientific process"? Do you remember how you said the SAE certification was "complicated"? Do you see a correlation there?

Quote:
Dang, Ford sure is good at building an efficient drive train and overcoming the Laws of Physics. Maybe it's that carbon fiber drive shaft. Yeah, that shaved 8% off the drive train loss. That means that DS would have to have removed about 50% of the weight from the drive train. Um, no.
I'm sure you at least gave yourself a good laugh. Kudo's to you!

Quote:
6.) Drag testing will prove I am right.
Yes, as we all know that conditions on the track don't vary either.

In near sea level conditions with a good driver and track, 660-665 BHP should net ~128 MPH at 4100 lbs. I agree - drag testing will prove that to be right.

I just pulled that out of my derriere, of course....as far as you know.

Quote:
7.) After owning a 2003 Cobra and laying claim to the first private dyno sheet posted on the net from a PRIVATE owner...
Wow! Can I have your autograph too?

Quote:
...and putting up with all the liar allegations and that I swapped the pulley because I removed the pulley cover, well, I think the 2003 Cobra's reputation far exceeds all the DENIALS.
What does the 2003 Cobra have to do with ANYTHING in this discussion? Was it SAE Certified?

No. And neither was the 99, FWIW. Next, please.

Oh wait...I'm going to finish off here and let you continue your diatribe with yourself. Have a nice day.

Bob

PS...I had a 99 and an 04 Cobra. You can have my autograph too if you like.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #2127
93TealCobra
Banned

Drives: 1993 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Oh it is? Last time I checked the ZL1 isn't even in the same category. I'm telling you its going to be a drivers race against a Z06 down a drag strip. If that scares you or makes you upset, then I'm sorry.

I guess if you consider 11.5-11.8 at 123-129 MPH to be "all Ford has" then thats cool too. I guess if you consider "all Ford has" is a 200+ MPH, mid 11 second car, with 4 seats, a load of creature comforts, with a price tag of $55K, then yeah that's "all Ford has". It's a hell of a lot more than GM can offer.
93TealCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #2128
BATMAN!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93TealCobra View Post
Oh it is? Last time I checked the ZL1 isn't even in the same category. I'm telling you its going to be a drivers race against a Z06 down a drag strip. If that scares you or makes you upset, then I'm sorry.

I guess if you consider 11.5-11.8 at 123-129 MPH to be "all Ford has" then thats cool too. I guess if you consider "all Ford has" is a 200+ MPH, mid 11 second car, with 4 seats, a load of creature comforts, with a price tag of $55K, then yeah that's "all Ford has". It's a hell of a lot more than GM can offer.
I wouldn't say can but it is more than they do