Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Damn C7 Corvette put on hold :(

from http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...810169981/1065

Corvette Racing's C6.R won the American Le Mans Series' inaugural Green Challenge competition at Petit Le Mans, but General Motors' troubles with the type of green that really matters have thrown the Corvette's future into disarray.

Multiple sources confirm that the General's financial crisis has led the company to put whatever plans it had for the next-generation Corvette on indefinite hold, with no official or set timetable.

In this climate--we've even heard tales of janitors removing lightbulbs from corporate headquarters in an effort to save money--not only is an all-new C7 now more than just a few years away, but even a significantly refreshed or upgraded C6 looks unlikely to appear anytime soon.

One version of the story says that when the decision was made to shelve the C7 for the time being, a plan was suggested to upgrade the C6 significantly in 2012 as a '13 model. Today's Corvette would be eight years old at that point and as much as 12 years old by the time the upgraded car was finally phased out in favor of the C7. Had this occurred, the C6 would have gone down as tied with the C4 generation as the second-longest-serving model in Corvette history. As things stand, multiple sources say this idea also is dead.

Perhaps the most disconcerting thing for fans is not that a new car has been delayed but that GM leadership does not appear to have a clear roadmap for the Corvette's future. On the other hand, no one has suggested that the model is in danger of becoming extinct. While the Corvette is the most visible GM product to enthusiasts and therefore the subject of much speculation, the fact is that GM's entire product port-folio was under review as of press time.

"Whether [you are talking about] the C6 or C7, I'm not going to comment on future product [specifics], including engines or any of that," Corvette vehicle-line executive Tom Wallace told AutoWeek. "We're still working on future Corvettes, but the scope of change is not yet decided. There are changes, some neat stuff, coming for 2010 that I can't talk about yet."

However, Wallace did not imply that those changes would cause anyone to consider the 2010 C6 to be a new car. He also denied that there ever was a specific year targeted for the C7's launch. And he acknowledged that new-in-2007 federal standards pushing corporate average fuel economy to 35 mpg by 2020 are playing a role in determining the layout and hardware of the next-generation Corvette but stressed that the issue "hasn't inhibited Corvettes. No one is saying we're not doing Corvettes. We're still bullish on Corvettes."

Asked whether there was any chance that the car could die, Wallace was emphatic. "No way," he said.

But with the next car's characteristics not even decided and GM in financial disarray, we don't anticipate the next incarnation of America's sports car to bow before 2014--and we won't be surprised if that estimate turns out to be optimistic.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Sounds like a temporary hold on development rather than extinction though
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Hmm:

Are you planning on making a C7?
No
Are you planning on extending the C6?
No
Are you planning on killing the Corvette?
No

One of these answers is incorrect.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Thing is, this news gives me some concern for the Camaro program. Not that they would cancel it but that crazy horsepower is not going to be something they will continue to pursue. Camaros may become more fuel efficient and less powerful over the next few years, especially if GM has to hit 35mpg by 2020.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
Does this put gen. V engine on hold also?
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Thing is, this news gives me some concern for the Camaro program. Not that they would cancel it but that crazy horsepower is not going to be something they will continue to pursue. Camaros may become more fuel efficient and less powerful over the next few years, especially if GM has to hit 35mpg by 2020.
There are ways around that. GM's cars officially average 27 mpg, meeting current CAFE regulations. In reality the average fuel economy is about 22 mpg right now. Either way, they still need to do a lot of work to get their average up. 100 mpg Volt's will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrapid View Post
Does this put gen. V engine on hold also?
That is a very good question. I hope not but it is a possibility.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Arrgh!
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
Popcorn indeed!

The Corvette will survive - much like the 911 to Porsche or the Mustang to Ford. Sure it'll be delayed - but what of it? We hear these things all the time - have some faith in GM.

On that note, the CAFE rule still has the word "average" in it - that's across the entire range people! The Corvette is not a high-enough seller to really impact that figure for GM.

Ho hum.
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
flaguy

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Spring Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Hmm:

Are you planning on making a C7?
No
Are you planning on extending the C6?
No
Are you planning on killing the Corvette?
No

One of these answers is incorrect.
They never said they weren't going to extend the C6. They said they weren't upgrading it. (ie. 98 Camaro)
flaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Seems I misinterpreted things. But then again, to not even offer a 'refresh' for 12 years is an extremely long time.

But still, I guess that was the statement that was incorrect. But its me that screwed it up not GM.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #11
flaguy

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Spring Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Seems I misinterpreted things. But then again, to not even offer a 'refresh' for 12 years is an extremely long time.

But still, I guess that was the statement that was incorrect. But its me that screwed it up not GM.
Yeah, kinda hard to believe. But, that's better than no vette at all i guess.
flaguy is offline   Reply With Quote