Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Unhappy Made a TERRIBLE Mistake...

Grrrrr....

That's right....I'm pretty sure I screwed up. I traded off my 2010 2SS for a 2012 Rubicon and for the first time ever in my life, I have major buyer's remorse but not necessarily for only the reasons you'd expect.

When I bought my 2SS a couple of years ago, I knew I loved the Camaro (I'd had two previous Camaros). At the time, I considered a Jeep as a way to stray into new territory to see if I would love driving really slow. I looked at both and finally (and with little or no hesitation) went with the Camaro. The Camaro was my first brand new car.

I friggin' loved the Camaro. I loved everything about it (except the insane amount of attention it provided me....I'm a fairly modest guy). I loved the way the car handled, I loved the look, I loved the mileage, and I loved the power.

There were, though, a couple of things that bummed me a little. In the two years of having the Camaro, I never once strayed onto gravel or onto rough roads....and I rarely took my best buddy with me (he sheds far too much). In the back of my mind I kept thinking that a Jeep would be more functional for my lifestyle.

Finally, I took the plunge and about three weeks ago I traded for a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited.

I think I made a mistake.

With a few exceptions, the Jeep was everything I imagined it'd be. It's a fairly solid, dependable vehicle. I add gas and it takes me places. However, my heart doesn't skip a beat when I look at it, walk to it, sit in it, think about it, or floor it. As an SUV, it's all utility and offers no excitement. The Camaro, on the other hand, felt like an extension of my personality made every trip to the store an exciting trip.

I will NEVER, EVER buy from Chrysler again...
There are other considerations which have also made the change less than pleasurable. Part of the reason for my *severe* case of buyer's remorse is terrible customer service from Chrysler corporate. I had some legitimate concerns and Chrysler was extremely rude to me (they even lied to me). They refused to address my issues. This isn't the forum to get into Chrysler customer service issues, but suffice to say that my first experience with them is grounds enough that I will never buy from them again.

In contrast, almost every interaction I've had with GM over the years has been very pleasurable and "more than fair." GM sales and service people have almost always gone out of their way to provide information and to help me. When I had a major issue, a regional manager became involved and shocked me with being a very agreeable and nice guy. I guess I just wrongly assumed every car company was like this. With Chrysler, I found it difficult finding someone who would even listen to an issue....much less someone with the power to actually address it.

I could continue this post by going into all kinds of other areas I've noticed, but I'll just bullet point some observations

Some of the things I've learned while changing from GM to Chrysler

- Chrysler seems to have the most poorly trained salesmen who simply don't know their products (rarely did I get that feel from GM).

- Chrysler stereos really, really, really suck (it makes me really appreciate the Camaro stereo)

- Jeeps leak even though they cost $37k....and most people think that's just fine and dandy

- Chrysler workmanship is subpar to GM. There's an obvious attention-to-detail missing in Chrysler products. There's a "cheap" vibe even to their pricey automobiles.

- Camaro fans and owners are friggin' awesome. They love their cars, love talking about their cars, and can be huge fan boys while still appreciating other cars.

- Jeep fans (most that I've encountered so far on forums) are arrogant and believe Jeep/Chrysler can do no wrong.

(I could add to this list forever)

A new automobile is a big purchase for me. I can't just swap cars frequently. Because of this, I'm afraid I'm stuck with the Rubicon for at least a couple of years until I'm no longer upside down on my payments. Maybe I can find another way out, I'm not sure. Had I been smart, I would've purchased an old, used Jeep for my gravel road/dog fun and kept my Camaro -- but I wasn't very smart

Soooo.....a word of warning to those who may also be looking for greener pastures -- they don't get much greener than the 5th gen Camaro. If you like your car but thinking of swapping, reconsider.

As soon as I can, I'll be moving back home to General Motors with my tail tucked between my legs. I made a mistake.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
melvinakshay
Vrooom Vrooom

Drives: Camaro 2011 black LS
Thats how you learn. The only path to your redemption is a ZL1.
melvinakshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinakshay View Post
You have no idea how much I'd love to do this......but financially, I just can't do it right now Perhaps it's in my two-year future plan
Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
While I'm sure it is really reassuring for our members that GM is the best in terms of product and customer service, I feel terrible that you got something you thought you wanted and feel like you made a mistake. These mistakes aren't very foreseeable, and they cost thousands.

I hope you get what you really want, and I hope that you don't get too burned in the process—good luck.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
coolman

Is your problem with Chrysler or your dealer? My family is polluted with Jeeps and for the most part they have had very good luck with all of them. My family has had very good luck with our local Chrysler dealer. Maybe you could try another dealer. Either way it does suck to just buy a vehicle and realize that you don't like. Hope you can get things to work out for you.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
LOL!

I know all to well what your feeling. I sold my first Z06 for a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, I had it for about four months and couldn't take it anymore. Sold it (for more than I paid for it, thankfully) and bought another Z06 Corvette,
Take that Jeep off road for a grin or two and maybe it will make things better for you.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Camaro731

Drives: 2012 black 2Lt + bells & whistles
Bad mistake!

08/18/2011 (1100)(1102)(2000)
09/12/2011 (3800)(4000) (4150)(4B00)
09/23/2011 - (5000)
Camaro731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Is your problem with Chrysler or your dealer? My family is polluted with Jeeps and for the most part they have had very good luck with all of them. My family has had very good luck with our local Chrysler dealer. Maybe you could try another dealer. Either way it does suck to just buy a vehicle and realize that you don't like. Hope you can get things to work out for you.
It sounds like he had a great experience with his Camaro but wanted to try something else cool, and the Rubicon is definitely a cool Jeep. Unfortunately—or perhaps very fortunately—he's a Camaro enthusiast who really misses the car he was made to drive. To make matters worse, Chrysler isn't GM, and that reflects in the way they treat their customers.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
KickToTheJunk

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6 Mtv Hbo Ps3
So sorry for your loss. Wisdom is the most expensive commodity on the planet.

Similar story.

After raising my daughter by myself for 11 years, I traded my 2005 Grand Caravan SXT SSE (loaded, all options) - Black diamond flake paint (the SSE part) and custom wheels (I was a pimped out soccer dad who didn't go to soccer games) for a 2002 Corvette Convertible in Oct. 2009. My kid was 13.5 and moved in with her mom for the first time. I felt 'free' from the clenches of being able to carry more than 2 people in a car. That Corvette defined who I am.

Issues with my work forced me to trade for a 2008 Dodge Ram QC Big Horn in efforts to show my boss that I have the where-with-all to tell him to kiss my ass and go off on my own. Well, it worked. He got scared and gave me a nice raise and made me head honcho.

Stuck with the Ram for 6 months and realized I was getting more and more upside down in that thing.

Wanting a Camaro since they came out but not having the ends to do it - I tried talking my wife into trading her 07 Mustang she bought last April. She's a chicken-%&$# and wouldn't do it. So - I traded my Ram in for the Camaro. Lost $1200 on the Ram in 'neg equity' and that's after talking them down from $6k in neg. equity. I'm a hard shopper and even harder person when talking turkey. I've told many a sales manager to go outside and play 'hide and go eff yourself'.

Got the Camaro and I think I spend more time with it, researching info for it and coming up with to-do lists for it than I do sitting with the woman I vowed to love forever.

You WILL find a way to ditch the Rubicon and get back home. Even if you have to get a 1SS or even an LS/LT (lol yeah, going from 8 to 6... hey... I did it) and get a beater 4x4 vehicle after the wounds heal from losing on the Rubicon.

I make grit compared to most people on this forum. I'm a house painter who works for someone else. If I break $35k on the books a year - I'm doing good. I wanted the SS - I'm more than happy to have the LS and afford mods to it.

Moral of my story, if I found a way to put a Camaro in my garage, anyone can.

Last edited by KickToTheJunk; 11-17-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: dbag
KickToTheJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It sounds like he had a great experience with his Camaro but wanted to try something else cool, and the Rubicon is definitely a cool Jeep. Unfortunately—or perhaps very fortunately—he's a Camaro enthusiast who really misses the car he was made to drive. To make matters worse, Chrysler isn't GM, and that reflects in the way they treat their customers.
Yep...that's pretty much it. My dealership was mostly cool. The customer service issues I experienced was with Chrysler corporate and their vast call center. The problems I experienced are beyond the scope of a Camaro forum other than I just wanted to mention the huge differences in the way GM and Chrysler works with their customers.

*Every* time I've ever gone to GM with issues, it has always been a very personable experience...not so much with Chrysler.

And yeah, I'd say I was made to drive the Camaro
Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
geez i would never get a jeep over a camaro SS.....
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
KamaroKid9614

Drives: 98 Camaro V6 White
Quote:
Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickToTheJunk View Post
So sorry for your loss. Wisdom is the most expensive commodity on the planet.

Similar story.

After raising my daughter by myself for 11 years, I traded my 2005 Grand Caravan SXT SSE (loaded, all options) - Black diamond flake paint (the SSE part) and custom wheels (I was a pimped out soccer dad who didn't go to soccer games) for a 2002 Corvette Convertible in Oct. 2009. My kid was 13.5 and moved in with her mom for the first time. I felt 'free' from the clenches of being able to carry more than 2 people in a car. That Corvette defined who I am.

Issues with my work forced me to trade for a 2008 Dodge Ram QC Big Horn in efforts to show my boss that I have the where-with-all to tell him to kiss my ass and go off on my own. Well, it worked. He got scared and gave me a nice raise and made me head honcho.

Stuck with the Ram for 6 months and realized I was getting more and more upside down in that thing.

Wanting a Camaro since they came out but not having the ends to do it - I tried talking my wife into trading her 07 Mustang she bought last April. She's a chicken-%&$# and wouldn't do it. So - I traded my Ram in for the Camaro. Lost $1200 on the Ram in 'neg equity' and that's after talking them down from $6k in neg. equity. I'm a hard shopper and even harder person when talking turkey. I've told many a sales manager to go outside and play 'hide and go eff yourself'.

Got the Camaro and I think I spend more time with it, researching info for it and coming up with to-do lists for it than I do sitting with the woman I vowed to love forever.

You WILL find a way to ditch the Rubicon and get back home. Even if you have to get a 1SS or even an LS/LT (lol yeah, going from 8 to 6... hey... I did it) and get a beater 4x4 vehicle after the wounds heal from losing on the Rubicon.

I make grit compared to most people on this forum. I'm a house painter who works for someone else. If I break $35k on the books a year - I'm doing good. I wanted the SS - I'm more than happy to have the LS and afford mods to it.

Moral of my story, if I found a way to put a Camaro in my garage, anyone can.
That's a great story...makes me feel a bit better.

And as for making grit, well, I'm there with ya I'm a self-employed photographer and 2011 has been a down year for me and I'm a little spooked about the future but try to stay optimistic.

I've been working on my credit for several years and the Camaro purchase two years ago was proof to myself that I was finally making positive changes. The Camaro was the first time my credit allowed me to purchase a new car. Self-employed people sometimes find it difficult to get loans because of how our finances look on paper. Just a few years ago, I settled for a 23% interest loan on a used Camaro *just* so I could begin getting positive marks on my credit. I hated getting such a high interest loan, but that allowed me to end up with a 1.9% interest loan on my most recent purchase. It takes work to make money, improve credit scores, play the game, etc., but in the end, it's usually rewarding if you're successful.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #14
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
you definitely made a "different" choice lol. It can't be that bad though right? It's definitely a different type of fun in the jeep. I guess chevy really does run deep, in your soul.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote