Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
From the title, I thought someone actually wanted a Z28 pick-up-not to pick up their Z28 from the factory......I was almost

Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #16
alrox

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Corvette does it at Bowling Green, but there is a huge ripoff in the deal. You still have to pay the destination charge, even though you picked it up yourself at the plant.

I would do a pick up at the Camaro plant for my next Camaro, but only if they knock off the $850 destination charge. I'm not paying nearly a grand for something that did not occur.
It is not a ripoff. It is a contract with the shipping company. They deliver the cars anywhere for the same price, whether it be 2 or 2000 miles from the factory.

If you could get an $850 discount by taking delivery at the NCM, the shipping company would lose a lot of money.

There will never be a museum or delivery option for the Camaro. Very few customers are in Canada or willing to go to Canada to pick up their car.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
It is not a ripoff. It is a contract with the shipping company. They deliver the cars anywhere for the same price, whether it be 2 or 2000 miles from the factory.

If you could get an $850 discount by taking delivery at the NCM, the shipping company would lose a lot of money.

There will never be a museum or delivery option for the Camaro. Very few customers are in Canada or willing to go to Canada to pick up their car.
Why should the shipping company get paid for something they don't do?? I certainly don't get paid for every house that I don't build!! That's one of the problems in this country today, many people seem to think that people and companies are "entitled" to be paid whether they do anything or not.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #18
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Why should the shipping company get paid for something they don't do?? I certainly don't get paid for every house that I don't build!! That's one of the problems in this country today, many people seem to think that people and companies are "entitled" to be paid whether they do anything or not.
Clyde
They DO ship the Corvettes across the street, on a truck, to the loading docks of the Corvette museum. Yeah, it's only a couple of miles from the plant parking lot, but they're loaded and unloaded from the truck as normal. You're not getting out of the destination charge. Because otherwise, they'd ship it to whichever dealer you bought it from. Same price. You're just paying extra for them to drop it at other than the dealership. Sounds screwy for sure, but root cause? You can probably blame your unions for that little stipulation.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
alrox

Quote:
Clyde
Another problem in this country today is that people speak before having facts.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #20
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
When we ordered our 1999 Corvette, we elected to purchase the museum delivery option. We had bought a lot of previously owned Corvettes up to that time but figured that we would most likely only buy one new Corvette and decided to make the most of it. It gave a guided personal tour of the Corvette Museum and also a personal guided tour of the Corvette Plant. My wife got to start one of the Vettes coming off the assembly line (not ours) and made for a lot of nice pictures and memories. We drove it through the Blue Ridge mountains and we took our time driving back to Florida. I am glad that we did it, but most likely would not do it again. My Z28 will be delivered to the west coast of Florida about 4 hours away and that will still make for a nice ride back home.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #21
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Another problem in this country today is that people speak before having facts.
Such as what........driving it across the street?? Give me a friggin break, I'll drive it across the street for a few bucks. I stand by my original statement, too many people (companies included) expect to be paid as though it was their divine right for something they don't do. I don't care if it's the unions fault or people in general, if you can't see that then my sympathy goes out to you. People will be in for a rude awakening one day when their "right" to payment goes away.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I really would LOVE to have an option to do something like this.

GM's hosting an "open house" at all their plants across the nation for people to come in and learn something about the company/people/products. So I don't think that "never" will hold up...it seems they're slowly breaking down all those barriers and coming around.

Being there while my car was built...talking to the people who put it together...driving it home...would DEFINITELY be worth it.....if the price is right. Having thought about it a little more, I still think $1500 would be way too much. Especially considering the cost of a plane ticket/driving/passport that somebody brought up. Hadn't thought of that...

Quote:
Such as what........driving it across the street?? Give me a friggin break, I'll drive it across the street for a few bucks. I stand by my original statement, too many people (companies included) expect to be paid as though it was their divine right for something they don't do. I don't care if it's the unions fault or people in general, if you can't see that then my sympathy goes out to you. People will be in for a rude awakening one day when their "right" to payment goes away.
Clyde
This is not the place for a discussion on principals...Try to stay on topic please.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #23
alrox

Quote:
Clyde
You know nothing of the internal working of the car, shipping or insurance world.

Your "right" to earn will go away the same day as companies have their payment rights taken away.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #24
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
After seeing Bowling Green, and how it's set up for a customer experience, and seeing Oshawa, a plant build to build cars, the only thing that could make this work is if they built a whole new building or facility.

They're not going to let an outsider step foot in there.....Hell, I was in the security sniper scope for just being on the sidewalk across the street with a camcorder in my hand!

What you MAY get is more "company" involvement in an annual event NEAR the facility, like the annual August BBOMG. It was impressive to see how many employee's (factory and High ranking management types) that came out to talk and meet with each of the event attendee's. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen -
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #25
alrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
What you MAY get is more "company" involvement in an annual event NEAR the facility, like the annual August BBOMG. It was impressive to see how many employee's (factory and High ranking management types) that came out to talk and meet with each of the event attendee's. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen -
Very doubtful. The factory is too far away from the majority of end consumers, not to mention in another country.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Quote:
Very doubtful. The factory is too far away from the majority of end consumers, not to mention in another country.
I don't doubt it at all - it's already happening!

That's why I said in OSHAWA, at the plant. More and more people are making the annual migration to the plant. The City embraces it, local business's embrace it, why wouldn't the factory?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #27
alrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
That's why I said in OSHAWA, at the plant. More and more people are making the annual migration to the plant. The City embraces it, local business's embrace it, why wouldn't the factory?
The consumer would not support it. Camaro buyers are in the United States. It's too far away plus they don't really care where the car is made. There is no significance to the location.

To draw a parallel to the Corvette delivery program, you do not take delivery of your Corvette at the factory. You simply take a tour of the plant, but your car is delivered to the museum.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #28
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

I'm not referring to "taking delivery"... I refer to the opportunity to go to the plant to meet the makers of your car - many of the employee's....something not equalled - not even at the Corvette plant.

It's an annual migration. It's happened twice, it will happen again. And it's growing every year.